PDA

View Full Version : Full-sized spare in Golf mark VI

darkfriend
24-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi All,

Just a small thing that I did the other day and that may have been shown here before: Took out the space-saver spare and replaced it with a second-hand rim and tyre. I would have been happy with a steel rim but couldn't find one that would fit. A genuine second hand VW rim to match would have cost $250 without the tyre.

1) removed everything from boot:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/emptyboot1-1.jpg

2) second-hand rim and tyre from Swan Tyre Service (Osborne Park WA)- Audi ?A4 rim (16inch, 5/112, ET+45, Centre Bore : 57.1mm) and Bridgestone Turanza 205/55 tyre) Price $180:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/sparewheel1-1.jpg

2) high-density (10cm thick) foam from Clarke rubber that they cut to the shape of the boot insert and I cut out a circle for the wheel ($80). Scissor jack added as I think the standard VW jack is rather ordinary:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/foamandjack1-1.jpg

3) Wheel in place:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/wheelinboot1-1.jpg

4)Tools added to centre of wheel:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/wheelandtools1-1.jpg

5) The finished product:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/finishedlook1-1.jpg

peedman
26-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Nice work dude looks pretty good and the best thing is everything is easily reversed!

Volksie
26-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Why did i not think of that? Great idea dude:stupid:

darkfriend
26-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Nice work dude looks pretty good and the best thing is everything is easily reversed!

Thanks Peedman. I have seen another version of this where someone had glued strips of foam down around the spare wheel to raise the height- saves on foam (it is pretty expensive for what it is) but doesn't provide as much support and can't easily be removed. If I ever decide the buy the GTI that I would like I can just swap it all over.... (I hope)

Corey_R
26-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Great post mate. I've added that to the MK6 Index Thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/official-mk6-forum-important-threads-posts-index-**look-here-first**-59253.html) :)

darkfriend
26-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks Corey_R. I wasn't sure where I should stick it...

kaanage
27-07-2011, 07:40 AM
If I ever decide the buy the GTI that I would like I can just swap it all over.... (I hope)

I don't think the 16" rim would fit over the brakes

darkfriend
27-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Ah, that is a shame... Looks like I would have to buy another second hand rim and tyre then... but keep the foam!

kaanage
27-07-2011, 11:37 AM
You'd probably have to add an extra (thin) layer to allow for the wider rim/tyre too.

wai
27-07-2011, 12:01 PM
G'day,

I can see that people feel more secure with a full sized spare, and having the ability to store the deflated tyre somewhere before it is repaired, but...

I have had 4 cars in my life. The first was a Mini S (the original). I had one puncture with it, and it had a full sized spare. No problem.

Next was a Torana. I had it for 22 years, and had two punctures. One within weeks of getting it, and the other maybe 10 years into my ownership of it. What was interesting, the original spare was only used to get me to a repairer and then it went back as a spare because it was hardly worn and there would have been different rolling radii on the axle. One day, when getting ready for my trip to Bendigo, I went to check the pressure in the spare and was greeted with a tyre that had ripped while in the boot. I must get the photograph out and post it.

Next was a Hiace that I had for 12 years. When I traded it in on my Caddy Maxi Life, the VW dealer was amazed that the spare was original (never been removed from the carrier), and that the emergency tool kit was still in its original position under the passenger seat and had never been removed.

Now the Caddy Maxi Life has a spacesaver spare wheel. I would have preferred a full sized spare, but then life is full of compromises. I have some large towels that I keep in the Caddy so that if I need to use it and the seats are occupied, one of the passengers can cradle the punctured tyre in their lap without getting too dirty :D

The dealer did say that you can carry the punctured tyre in the spare frame, but I am not so sure.

So I would have preferred a full sized tyre, but a spacesaver is not a bad compromise to get me to a repairer where it gets put back in its carrier.

darkfriend
27-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I agree Wai- on most occasions a space-saver spare will be just fine for what it is used for. I have the situation where I am going to be working for a 4 month stint in Kalgoorlie from October (adout 650km east of Perth) and would need to drive back and forth every second weekend. Hence I was uncomfortable with just the space-save on long trips in the desert!

Also wouldn't want to be limited to 80km/h for such a long trip!

ian
27-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks Peedman. I have seen another version of this where someone had glued strips of foam down around the spare wheel to raise the height- saves on foam (it is pretty expensive for what it is) but doesn't provide as much support and can't easily be removed. If I ever decide the buy the GTI that I would like I can just swap it all over.... (I hope)

I did exactly the same with my Gt golf but with a 17'' Denver wheel 225/45 ,and one cant tell its even there .

wai
27-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree Wai- on most occasions a space-saver spare will be just fine for what it is used for. I have the situation where I am going to be working for a 4 month stint in Kalgoorlie from October (adout 650km east of Perth) and would need to drive back and forth every second weekend. Hence I was uncomfortable with just the space-save on long trips in the desert!

Also wouldn't want to be limited to 80km/h for such a long trip!
Exactly. There are reasons why you would want one, however when you don't really need one, why carry around all that extra weight.

My brother removed his roof bars (they were supposedly aerodynamic ones) because it gave him an extra few fractions of a litre per 100 km, yet he had lugged around a full sized spare wheel for years without ever having had to use it.

There are valid reasons why you might need one, however in those instances, by all means carry one. It is a wonder that some enterprising company has not offered to "buy back" full sized spare wheels (in some cases a full sized alloy one) and replace them with a spacesaver one that would carried in the same place. You can be looking at 10-15 kg or more in weight saving and that would translate into fuel saving.

Transporter
27-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I put full size spare in our Golf5 as well, it is 15". I bought a full set for that reason, going 1/2 with someone who also wanted the spare in his Golf6 90TSI. So we have 2 extra spare if someone needs, can pick up from me for $150 each. They're almost new Hankook tyres on the steel rims.

Dave198
11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Transporter, have you still got one of those wheels?
I live in Broken Hill and there is a long way between towns out here.
I have been told that the space saver tyre doesn't go too many k's, but I am not sure.
But 80kph for a couple of hundred K's doesn't put much of a smile on my face.
Dave

sbowden
22-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Great thread.

And glad to read Ian had fitted a 17" wheel into that wheel well. (my 118TSI has the sports pack)

I'm about to be driving 220+klm per day and would like the peace of mind of a full size spare. My understanding is the space saver is good for 80klm/hour max speed and 80kilometres distance?

sometimes you can't get to a tyre repairer the same day you get the flat...or get the repair done while you wait. So the full size makes sense for my circumstances.

Recently my wife shredded one of her XR5 tyres on the M1, south of Brisbane...put the space saver on and limped the rest of the way to Brisbane for a busy day's work. But because it was 220k home, had to buy a new tyre. Had no time to shop around, and was charged absolute top dollar for the tyre and labour (like +$150 over what we paid when we put the full set on). That extra money would have paid for a lot of litres of fuel if she'd been carrying the full size spare.

any way, thanks for the creative way to solve my problem and still retain my cozy boot-space.

Mountainman
01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Exactly. There are reasons why you would want one, however when you don't really need one, why carry around all that extra weight.

My brother removed his roof bars (they were supposedly aerodynamic ones) because it gave him an extra few fractions of a litre per 100 km, yet he had lugged around a full sized spare wheel for years without ever having had to use it.

You can be looking at 10-15 kg or more in weight saving and that would translate into fuel saving.
The spacesaver in my mk7 weighs 14kg and the 205/55 16 tyre and Toronto ally combination from the mk7 Golf Comfortline weighs 18.5kg new and 18.2kg with 32,000km wear on the tyre. So 4.5kg max is not much of a weight saving and I guess there is a good reason it is called a spacesaver and not a weightsaver.

brad
02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Sorry for the thread necro. Just happened to be looking & noticed this.

16" rim & 312mm GTI barkes go together just fine. There's about 10-15mm clearance. Possibly you could even fit 15" depending on the rim

Look like this:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/IMAG0359_zpsycd4ssxk.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/subabrad/media/IMAG0359_zpsycd4ssxk.jpg.html)