PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf GTI MkII 87/88

hipster
15-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

I've got a running MkII golf GTI 87/88 which I believe may have been imported from South Africa. It's in running condition, but there appears to be rust area (4inch x 4inch) which is very dangerous on the underside need the chassis. The body is OK apart from this rust point, and the car has been running well for the past 5 years I've owned it, but it looks like the cost to fix this (removing engine, fixing body part) is just too much (nearly the worth of the car). Can somebody give me advice on what to do?

It appears that most of the parts are in original and good condition. Any advice on how to get the most out of it would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't advertise it as running as I don't want to endanger anyone. My concern is that because it's drivable that somebody I sell it to with forewarning of it's danger may still drive it and kill themselves.

thanks

WABIT
15-02-2006, 08:20 PM
hmmm..... first off welcome to the forum mate!!

looks like you have a slight lemon on ya hands (no offence)

you could sell it as is, E.G... ideal project!! or.... breaking for parts, the mk2's are pretty hard to find here soo those options will be good for you??

my opinion i guess

wabit :)

hipster
16-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi Wabit. Thanks for the reply.

I've asked the South Australia enthusiasts about what to do with the car, and I'll add what I asked them into this forum just in case anybody has any more opinions.

I apologise in advance for my poor usage of terminology. It's not a gaping hole, but could pretty much be passed as one. The part where the front suspension is bolted to the chassis is corroded around the bolt, and leading upwards towards the upper part of the body where the engine is. basically he was picking at the parts around the bolted area and it was crumbling all around it. I'm not sure I'm describing it correctly, but if the metal around the bolts collapsed from wear or being hit, then it would mean the engine and the gearbox will hit the floor.

The car, I would estimate is worth 3500-4500 running, and it looked like a 2000-3000 job, because it meant removing the engine and gearbox, doing the body which as far as we looked required 2 long pieces of metal and finding strong enough joining points on both sides of the suspension bar.

As much as I don't want to get rid of it, I'm financially unable at this moment to get it fixed, and would much prefer a restorer who is interested in these cars to take the whole car and fix it.

Another question I have is that, in it's current state it will definitely be defected, and if I sold it to someone, I will tell them about all the problems, but I don't want to be liable if the person decides that it's still drivable. Also, I don't want it on my conscience as well if this person kills themself or somebody else.

Should I register it as being "written off"? If I was to sell it for parts? because it's definitely a drivable car.

thanks

evorobin
16-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Is this car in Adelaide? I may know someone that could help. PM me for details

Robin

WABIT
16-02-2006, 09:58 AM
well first off. if you would like to sell it, as is! just tell them that the car needs a whole ground up restoration for it to be safe to drive, if you dont want to be liable for anything the buyer does.. just sell it with no rego and WRC.. im sure when the buyer gets the car after you explained to him whats bad about it.. he will get it checked out immediatley... espacially if its a VW enthusiast..... hope that helps mate

wabit

Golf Loon
16-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Dont wreck it. Someone can fix it for you. I`ll do it if you want to send it to Sydney, although there must be heaps of welders nearer you. Or how much would you want to sell it for as is? Dont declare it a write off, as it can never then be re-registered, there are few enough Mk2s in oz as it is.

hipster
16-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Golf Loon,

I'd like for it to survive. I'd actually like to continue to own it, I like this car a lot, but I don't see myself having enough money now or in the near future to fix it up, and make it even better, as much as I'd like to. I'm looking at around the $1500 mark, because it looks like a wrecker will give me at most $300. I believe that even though the body is in ordinary shape, there's still some good bits left. I'm against giving it to a wrecker at the moment, as I'd much prefer to see it go to somebody who is thinking of doing a restoration job.

I'll have to think about this, and call around.

Robin, thanks for recommending your 'guy'. called him up, and he's going to talk to some people for me.

Will hold off on the "write off" ticket for now.

I will also add some pictures later if anybody is interested. Remember, it's a 4 door version, 8 valve only, and it's from South Africa. Lovely fun to drive though.

Golf Loon
16-02-2006, 08:26 PM
If someone nearer doesn`t want it, I`ll have it. PM me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Golfwise
16-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Fix it Loon.
I have a front cut for good chassis parts.The other front went to the tip (perfect)
I'd buy it if it was a 2 door.
But whatever someone must save it.

Golf Loon
17-02-2006, 02:27 PM
No worries wise one, you know it makes sense. Stop tipping good vw parts. :twisted:

evorobin
18-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Well I've been to see this car. Yes it is worth saving although there is a lot of stuff to fix/replace. I'll be seeing my mechanic shortly with a look to making an offer!

Golf Loon
18-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I have enough bits here to build a couple of Mk2s. Let me know if you need any bits, or if you dont end up getting it, I`ll have it.