PDA

View Full Version : VAG COM for DTC - anyone got one or used one?

golfvr6
15-02-2006, 12:06 PM
anybody out in Oz purchased a VAG COM computer to detect and reset trouble codes on their dub or audi? any experience or advice?

available at http://www.ross-tech.com or on ebay...

syncro
15-02-2006, 12:28 PM
They're common.
Don't think it works on a '95 'though.

Golf Loon
15-02-2006, 01:03 PM
What codes have you got?
You can reset the service codes without any gizmos.

DVR68U
15-02-2006, 01:40 PM
loon im sure he wants it to detect stuff thats wrong, i brought one from hongkong looks to be a good enuff. i havent tried it yet cause ive got no power to the plug in the car lol . but those are pretty cheap of ebay and it came pretty quick
cheers brenton

Tim
15-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I have one of the rosstech ones. Not as cheap as the ebay specials but it supports my car which is a 95 VR6 thru to current model canbus stuff.

Seems to work fine. On the older cars youre limited to what you can do tho i think. Pretty much just scan for codes and clear them if need be.

golfvr6
15-02-2006, 08:19 PM
yep i wanted to detect any fault codes.

ebay special was the way i was looking for <$100 but does it support 94/95 cars? i remember around '96, US dubbers refer to OBD II vs OBD I being the new 'standard' but does this mean anything to euro/ aus cars? cos the ebay specials refer to OBD II, with an extra converter plug required for older cars at extra expense of course.

Tim
15-02-2006, 09:51 PM
check what style diagnostics port u have.
If u remove the ashtray there should be a plastic cover that slides sideways towards your ashtray opening. if that has the standard obdII type connector u should be ok. thats what mine had.

but then. who knows what u get on ebay.

DVR68U
16-02-2006, 08:04 PM
yeah mine just has a single plug which witht the ebay thing seems to line up etc. ive got a '94

Bug_racer
26-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Tim , I'm curious as to why you call it an OBDII connector . Does that mean the two pin connector found on the Seat Toledo and early T4 is a OBDI . Where then do the early connectors that are found on early Audi 80's and 200T's be called OBD0 ?

golf3
26-04-2006, 01:38 PM
lol....

you love the obd statements don't ya seb...

my little code reader says OBDII on it, and it plugs in, and has shown codes, and cleared them...

we get owned by the americans and their emissions controls...

Tim
26-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Tim , I'm curious as to why you call it an OBDII connector . Does that mean the two pin connector found on the Seat Toledo and early T4 is a OBDI . Where then do the early connectors that are found on early Audi 80's and 200T's be called OBD0 ?

i call it that cos thats what it seems to be refered to everywhere! And i love getting up your nose Seb! :lol:

What should i call this funny trapezoidal type connector? I realise that we dont have the same OBDII type ECUs here. But It is the same connector that is required for them to be OBDII compliant in the US isnt it? Im the first to admit i have a dumb ecu :P

The reason i made that distinction is because if you have one of those earlier type connectors it wont work with just the standard ross-tech unit. u'll probly need to buy the seperate adapter cable as well! And i have no idea what VWs come with whjat port in australia. All i know is my own car. Which is a late 95 model and appears to be a mish-mash of early and late VW bits.

Anyways. dont knock us! educate us! Youre australias resident VW F'ckn Master! (shameless pulp fiction quote :P)

Bug_racer
26-04-2006, 02:15 PM
At the dealer they just called them the diagnostic connector . I'm happy if they are just called OBD plug , but , as long as everyone understands we dont have OBD here on any VAG car , including the new models . its only a few months now before we start getting the 07 models and I'll have a quick check with those to see if they have any new features but I doubt it . There is a factory replacement coming for the VAS 5051 and 5052 , they are soooo outdated now . The 5051 runs on windows 98 and the 5052 on windows 2000 ! If you have ever used them they are really really slow , probably as slow if not slower than the flash system of the audi 200T , 100 and early Audi 80s !

And yes the early conectors will work with the Ross-tech vag com with the adapter but will not work with the flash systems