PDA

View Full Version : Vortex 98 RON fuel better than the rest in Canberra?

sanders4
11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey people,

I drive a 2003 Audi S3 with an APR reflash, K&N panel and upgraded haldex controller. Located in Canberra.

I've recently switched to Vortex 98 RON petrol and was surprised by the performance gains after using V-Power 98, and Mobil 98 petrol which gave about the same performance.

The car is pulling harder and running smoother. The economy seems unchanged for a noticeable increase in power. The weather has been about the same (bloody cold), but obviously there could and probably are other factors at play with my car... which is why i wanted to know whether anyone else had a similar experience with Vortex?

Mi16 Man
22-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Sanders4,
I picked up my new GTI in Feb this year....and now, just about to hit 10,000kms. I have tried all Shell V-Power, Caltex Vortex 98, Mobil 8000 and BP Ultimate - all from NON Supermarket Branded stations (personal choice) around Canberra.

My pick for fuel, that is, what the GTI best peforms on, is Mobil 8000 from the Mobil Servo in Braddon/Civic, just near the Macca's.
It runs clean, gives better economy and has the least amount of 'hesitation' from what I can tell. Best - Mobil, Worst - Shell. BP and Caltex are line ball.

Cheers
Stu

ziggyboy
09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm new to Canberra and live in the Gungahlin area.

Is it just me or both Shell and Caltex in Gungahlin do not have 98RON fuel? Didn't check each nozzle but the signs only said "Vortex" so I assumed it was 95. In Sydney they explicitly say "Vortex 95" and "Vortex 98". Where do people get 98 in the north side of the ACT?

Mi16 Man
09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Howdy Ziggy! Head to Gold Creek Caltex (non-Woolworths) or, BP in Watson / Braddon.

I live in Amaroo and avoid the supermarket servo's like the plague.

ziggyboy
09-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Cheers.

Is there a reason why Woolies Caltex are to be avoided? Shouldn't they come from the same refineries?

Mi16 Man
10-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Cheers.

Is there a reason why Woolies Caltex are to be avoided? Shouldn't they come from the same refineries?

Sorry to confuse you! Nothing to do with fuel. This is more a personal choice I have to support small business owners by going to their 'independent' (non supermarket) service stations.

Getting back OT, I have seen Vortex 98 and V-Power at thus service stations in Gungahlin.

Currently in Nelson Bay for the long weekend, I have seen fuel down as low as $133.9/L in NSW. That's 20c/L than Canberra at the moment. Grrrrrr...