PDA

View Full Version : Touareg capabilites for off-road - info please

unky dunky
10-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I am seriously looking at a Touareg MY12 to start doing the 'grey nomad' thing including the Kimberly's or Flinders Ranges this time next year. As a total novice to off-road touring, I have some numpty questions, please.

Is the 150TDI up to it ... or is the 4X4Motion needed? And is Air Suspension option an important requirement (noting it is not available on 150TDI).

Can the Touareg be fitted with recovery points? I notice there are two plugs on the front bumper but I presume these to cover tie-down points, and I guess tie-down points would not be sufficiently robust for recovery?

Can the Touareg take a roo bar? ... and does anyone make a roo-bar for a Touareg?

Personally, I am very attracted to the 4X4Motion with Air Suspension, but the missus needs me to explain the value proposition for the extra $20k or so over the 150TDI. We looked over the new TDI176 yesterday, and it 'ticks all my boxes'.

Transporter
11-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I believe that the Touareg is as capable as any other 4x4 there, but I would go for air suspension because that gives you extra ground clearance.

R36 Dreamer
11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I am seriously looking at a Touareg MY12 to start doing the 'grey nomad' thing including the Kimberly's or Flinders Ranges this time next year. As a total novice to off-road touring, I have some numpty questions, please.

Is the 150TDI up to it ... or is the 4X4Motion needed? And is Air Suspension option an important requirement (noting it is not available on 150TDI).

Can the Touareg be fitted with recovery points? I notice there are two plugs on the front bumper but I presume these to cover tie-down points, and I guess tie-down points would not be sufficiently robust for recovery?

Can the Touareg take a roo bar? ... and does anyone make a roo-bar for a Touareg?

Personally, I am very attracted to the 4X4Motion with Air Suspension, but the missus needs me to explain the value proposition for the extra $20k or so over the 150TDI. We looked over the new TDI176 yesterday, and it 'ticks all my boxes'.

I think only the 4motion has high and low range too eh?

I think the top of the range is more suited to offroading, but it depends how serious you are likely to get.

The Air suspension would be great in respect of towing, as it will keep the car nice and level and improves the ride. My RRS has air suspension and the ride is sublime - assume the Toureg would be the same.

Not sure about 4x4 accessories - it is difficult to ccome by them on small volume brands in Australia - Toyotas etc. have a wide range, but VW, LR, Merc have very little. If accessories are important to you, maybe another brand is a better alternative? Also when you go to sell a heavily accessorised car you will have a smaller possible audience, as many people will shy away from a car which looks like it has done hard yards.

Just my 2c worth - the new Toureg is a sharp looking car. Good luck with the purchase.

unky dunky
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I think only the 4motion has high and low range too eh?

Nope, 150TDI (4Motion) is AWD with only high range gearbox whereas 4X4Motion is high & low range. Hence my question as to whether the 150TDI is suitable for off-road touring. Or in other words, does one require a vehicle with low range in order to tour the Kimberleys?

Transporter
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I would say that a low range gear box is essential when you plan for serious off road trips. IMO, if you don't plan for buying a new car every 3-5 years, it pays to spend a bit more and get what you really want, unless you pay only cash.

Ralphs
14-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I am trying to make a similar decision also for remote touring next winter. From what I read here and another Touareg forum the 4xmotion with air suspension is the best. The guys say the low power is fine.
But your question is really how far will 4Motion with no low range take you. Same as my question .... where can't I go ?? Last year my wife and I hired a VW T5 campervan from Darwin and toured down to Kakadu amoungst other things. I was very keen to visit Gunlom falls but no could do without a real 4x4. I am currently reading Gregory 4x4 Australia 50 short getaways. This has really excellent realist descriptions of the track difficulty. So as an example to got to Bungle Bungles the drive to Knunnanurra is all black top but you won't go the last 25Km without low range. So my view is its always the last few KM's. Probably worth getting a copy of the book and checking some of the places on your list.
Hope this helps.

phaeton
14-07-2011, 07:45 PM
T5 4Motion is really about added traction than serious 4wdriving - that said with certain modifications it could go anywhere.

The Touareg with 4Motion and Audi Q7 with quattro are capable vehicles and with the right tyres they could possible go further than some could imagine - Audi did a Trans-Continental stint when they launched the Q7 proving that it is capable without low range.

Touareg with 4XMotion will go anywhere but has very limited backup in aftermarket modifications like bullbars etc.

Amarok would be the right vehicle if you plan to go bush IMO as there is heaps of aftermarket accessories available here with ARB etc.

idaho
14-07-2011, 08:07 PM
... Or in other words, does one require a vehicle with low range in order to tour the Kimberleys?

I haven't been to the Kimberleys but maybe a related question is do you want to take the chance that a wheel speed sensor failure at the back of beyond might mean no traction control and open diffs with a 150TDI? Whereas having the the same sensor failure with a 4XMotion still leaves you with centre and rear diff locks if necessary (unless there is some bizzare logic in the diff lock system).

unky dunky
14-07-2011, 08:28 PM
To all who have responded, thanks.

I have done some further research ... in particular going over the very detailed guide 'Destination Kimberley'. It seems the main issue up there in the dry is not so much the need for genuine 4X4, but more so to have adequate ground clearance. In this regard, 150TDI is perhaps not suitable because it cannot be fitted with air suspension option. Even so, there are some places that only a 4X4 can access.

Regarding suggestion to consider Amarok , while it might be capable off-road, I am not sure it is my style ... and I am not yet convinced a 2.0l engine is really suitable for towing a van long distances.

Ralphs
15-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi Unky Dunky

Is the Destination Kimberley guide good value?

Thanks
Ralph

T Rex
15-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi Unky Dunky

We have owned a V6 TDI with air suspension for 3 years. It has been superb. We haven't tested it fully in the outback yet however the capabilities displayed so far suggest it would at least equal our previous Prado and two Range Rovers off road and I wouldn't hesitate to take it to the Kimberleys.

Ground clearance is important and the air suspension does give you a bit more (300mm max) but also the low range capability is important in true off road conditions such as the Simpson Desert or Kimberleys when the going can get tough - especially in deteriorating weather. The low range 1st gear is the best auto fpor hill descents I have ever had.

If you are thinking about towing anything the air suspension also shines as it keeps the car level.

Without the 4xmotion with low range it is merely another luxury SUV and not suitable for the really tough stuff.

Cheers

Geoff

phaeton
16-07-2011, 03:23 PM
One negative the new Touareg has is no full size spare but at least it has a space saver - wouldn't want to bush when you have to use it, its tiny for a 4x4 spare.

unky dunky
16-07-2011, 11:19 PM
One negative the new Touareg has is no full size spare but at least it has a space saver - wouldn't want to bush when you have to use it, its tiny for a 4x4 spare.

Yes, the space saver is a PITA. I intend getting a full-size spare(s) and putting on roof rack for touring.

Took the plunge today and ordered MY12 4XMotion with air suspension.

phaeton
17-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, the space saver is a PITA. I intend getting a full-size spare(s) and putting on roof rack for touring.

Congrats should do the job :D

Is a spare an option? Read the brochure yesterday didn't see it listed.

Transporter
17-07-2011, 09:05 AM

We bought the extra spare wheel as well, immediately after we got the Treg, (ordered from the VW spare parts and bought the same tyre that were on Treg). The best is that we never had to use it. :)

Anyway, congratulations! ...and what colour and other options you've got? And now the most important thing, how long do you have to wait?

unky dunky
17-07-2011, 10:08 AM
We bought the extra spare wheel as well, immediately after we got the Treg, (ordered from the VW spare parts and bought the same tyre that were on Treg). The best is that we never had to use it. :)

Anyway, congratulations! ...and what colour and other options you've got? And now the most important thing, how long do you have to wait?

Getting 4XMotion - White optioned with air suspension, area view and sports package (primarily for the darkened glass). Delivery expected about Jan-Feb ... suits me as I am not in any particular rush.

For off-road touring, I intend to get a separate set of 17inch wheels and fit with ATR's. Off to a good start getting these wheels, as I have already acquired 4 x 17inch wheels from a MY10(?)Touareg - just need to find one more now.

Maybe someone on this forum has a 17inch Touareg wheel (130mm Pitch Circle Diameter) they wish to sell? Will keep my ears and eyes open.

Transporter
17-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Watch this section as well. http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f118/bayford-skoda-wheel-clearance-60825.html maybe contact hitoriko.

phantomcamel
19-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Nope, 150TDI (4Motion) is AWD with only high range gearbox whereas 4X4Motion is high & low range. Hence my question as to whether the 150TDI is suitable for off-road touring. Or in other words, does one require a vehicle with low range in order to tour the Kimberleys? For most parts you won't need low 4, but it really depends WHERE you go in the Kimberley & what time of the year. There was a mid 1960s Kombi (LH drive!) at El Questro station among a dozen of highly modified Landcruisers :)
If you want to go to Mitchel Falls & more remote areas the answer is YES. If you just want to do the Gibb, no - I don't think you will. The access road to Bungle Bungle should be no problem for a Touareg even without 4M. Some of the tracks within El Questro you will need it as there are some pretty rugged ones.
I did see one Touareg up there....
So it all depends where you go & how far you are planning to push it ;)

T Rex
21-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Congratulations on ordering your new Touareg! Sounds like a great package.

Regarding fitting the 17" wheels please first check if they will fit over the brakes of the 18" 4XMotion. You may find the brake package is larger than those fitted to the base model and the smaller rims will not fit. They certainly do differ on the T2 between wheel sizes. Cheers. Geoff

R36 Dreamer
21-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Getting 4XMotion - White optioned with air suspension, area view and sports package (primarily for the darkened glass). Delivery expected about Jan-Feb ... suits me as I am not in any particular rush.

For off-road touring, I intend to get a separate set of 17inch wheels and fit with ATR's. Off to a good start getting these wheels, as I have already acquired 4 x 17inch wheels from a MY10(?)Touareg - just need to find one more now.

Maybe someone on this forum has a 17inch Touareg wheel (130mm Pitch Circle Diameter) they wish to sell? Will keep my ears and eyes open.

Congrats on the purchase, sounds like a great spec you have ordered. Now the dreaded waiting game eh... Always a killer. I have waited 4-6 months for my last 3 cars (GTI, R36 and RRS) and the last month kills me.

Will be worth the wait though.

unky dunky
21-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Congratulations on ordering your new Touareg! Sounds like a great package.

Regarding fitting the 17" wheels please first check if they will fit over the brakes of the 18" 4XMotion. You may find the brake package is larger than those fitted to the base model and the smaller rims will not fit. They certainly do differ on the T2 between wheel sizes. Cheers. Geoff

Thanks ... good tip. My homework on Touareg specs suggests all Aussie Touareg variants have same size brakes (330mm diameter) to accommodate both 17" and 18" wheels. I also believe European TDI176 comes standard with 17" wheels ... so I think I'll be OK (says he with fingers crossed).

idaho
21-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks ... good tip. My homework on Touareg specs suggests all Aussie Touareg variants have same size brakes (330mm diameter) to accommodate both 17" and 18" wheels. I also believe European TDI176 comes standard with 17" wheels ... so I think I'll be OK (says he with fingers crossed).

The RVD's show the same size brakes for all models;
Certification Unit Details (http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.view_app_details?sCertID=43269&sMakeModel=VOLKSWAGEN+TYPE+7P)

unky dunky
21-07-2011, 11:53 PM
The RVD's show the same size brakes for all models;
Certification Unit Details (http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.view_app_details?sCertID=43269&sMakeModel=VOLKSWAGEN+TYPE+7P)

Thanks for that... just as I thought.

Packhorse
27-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Unky Dunky,

I am also looking at same purchase. Really need vehicle for mainly towing caravan on dirt and up the beach.

What have you been advised in regards to Tow Bar. Also although towing is 3.5T what is teh ball weight and does this suit a larger caravan.

unky dunky
28-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Unky Dunky,

I am also looking at same purchase. Really need vehicle for mainly towing caravan on dirt and up the beach.

What have you been advised in regards to Tow Bar. Also although towing is 3.5T what is teh ball weight and does this suit a larger caravan.

Hi Packhorse,

I have not been told anything ... my delivery is not expected until Jan, so I have not spoken with dealer since ordering in July.

I have read a fair bit about the towing subject in this and other forums, and don't think there is a clear cut answer just yet. To me it seems odd that VW would downgrade the towball downweight limit from 350kg to 280kg ... but is this even confirmed? In any case, it will not be an issue for me as I do not intend to tow anything over 2800/280kg.

I have a mate with a Mercedes ML350 whose towbar is rated 3500/350kg when tongue is fitted one way and is rated 2700/270kg when tongue is fitted the other way up? I found that curious, and I wonder if there is something similar afoot with VW towbar???

The other issue with VW towbar seems to be that it is not yet available because of some sort of interoperability issue with the Driver Assist Package electronics ... and VW seem loathe to release the tow bar even for vehicles not fitted with this option until all the issues have been ironed out. I am hoping it is all sorted out before my deleivery.

Good luck with purchase. Everything I have read about the MY12 4XMotion has been very positive ... and I have no regrets in ordering one.

Packhorse
29-09-2011, 08:33 PM
unky dunky,

I keep changing my mind whether or not to jump in. Just a bit concerned as the dealer was very vague about a release date for tow bar and I dont want to buy thsi car and find they change their mind and don't release one. Do you knwo if you can put load levelers on them or the fact they have air suspension you don't need them. They seem to be a really good vehicle just want to be sure

unky dunky
29-09-2011, 08:51 PM
unky dunky,

Do you knwo if you can put load levelers on them or the fact they have air suspension you don't need them. They seem to be a really good vehicle just want to be sure

There's been a lot of discussion on this forum and also on clubtouareg.com forum about Weight Distribution Hitches when towing with Touareg.

General consensus is that if you get air suspension option you do not need nor should you even contemplate using WDH. The air suspension will do any load levelling required. One particular view suggests that if you use WDH with air suspension, they will 'fight' each other with adverse consequences.

WDH can be used with Touareg standard steel suspension ... but is needed only if you are towing with a substantial towball downweight. Touareg rear wheels are (supposedly) fairly close to the towbar so it should be able to handle fairly heavy loads before one would need to consider WDH.

Packhorse
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks,

Out and about all day today again driving everything from Prado (Not impressed at all) Pajero (Starting to feel very dated) Land Rover (Wife thinks to boxy) LandCruiser 200 (Had one too big feels like a boat) Pathfinder (3500 towing as well just didn't drive well) Keep coming back to the Touareg. Would really like to feel comfotable about its Off Road ability and reliability in western places. I think I have decided on 4Xmotion v6tdi. Now to get teh right price.

unky dunky
01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks,

Out and about all day today again driving everything from Prado (Not impressed at all) Pajero (Starting to feel very dated) Land Rover (Wife thinks to boxy) LandCruiser 200 (Had one too big feels like a boat) Pathfinder (3500 towing as well just didn't drive well) Keep coming back to the Touareg. Would really like to feel comfotable about its Off Road ability and reliability in western places. I think I have decided on 4Xmotion v6tdi. Now to get teh right price.

Yep, I came to much the same conclusion. I also checked out the new Jeep Grand Cherokee ... less $$$ but left me doubtful about quality.

I ordered MY12 4xMotion with air suspension, sports interior (for privacy glass mainly) and area view (given global VW unavailability of single reverse camera). However, deleivery is going to take quite a while (Jul- Jan). Will PM you some info on pricing to assist with your bargaining.

Packhorse
01-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Yep, I came to much the same conclusion. I also checked out the new Jeep Grand Cherokee ... less $$$ but left me doubtful about quality.

I ordered MY12 4xMotion with air suspension, sports interior (for privacy glass mainly) and area view (given global VW unavailability of single reverse camera). However, deleivery is going to take quite a while (Jul- Jan). Will PM you some info on pricing to assist with your bargaining.

Thanks champion effort got pm. Very helpful

idaho
02-10-2011, 12:58 AM
...I ordered MY12 4xMotion with air suspension, sports interior (for privacy glass mainly) and area view (given global VW unavailability of single reverse camera). However, deleivery is going to take quite a while (Jul- Jan). Will PM you some info on pricing to assist with your bargaining.

Somewhat ironically there is one of that spec on Carsales in Brisbane only it is MY11 so has the reversing camera.

Packhorse
02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I think that is the Black one and they want $99K. I Think unky dunky may have got white ?

unky dunky
02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I think that is the Black one and they want $99K. I Think unky dunky may have got white ?

Yep,

I want white MY12 with Jan/Feb delivery to suit my circustances. And I'm not paying anywhere near $99K for mine.