PDA

View Full Version : 120,000kms in 1yr......Superb Taxi

Mi16 Man
10-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Yep! That's right......Canberra is lucky. Enough to have a TDI Superb amongst its Silver Service Fleet.

Colin Yap from Skoda Lennock took me for a test drive in an Octavia RS this morning and we got talking about those taxi's - Colin's way of answering my 'reliability' question.

- $4000 in servicing
- Battery went flat when a driver left a door/lighton (along with eftpos/booking system on)
- A driver put petrol in the tank rather than diesel.

No other issues to speak of otherwise.

Nice!

CanberravRS
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Awesome news that its been so bullet proof.

I hear there are a few of them now and possibly many more to come as there is nothing in the market with the capabilities or reliability.

theduckster
10-07-2011, 08:07 PM
woohoo!

It seems that I will be picking up a very reliable vehicle on Thursday!

$4,000 seems a little high for servicing, but I would assume there would be a least a set of tyres in the mix if not even more sets. Good news that the vehicle has been to do 120,000km in a year without too many problems.

whiteVR6
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
There is also a yellow Skoda taxi in Warwick

aware
26-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I assume that it is the Silver Wagon? I saw it this morning in Woden before I left. Great to see that it has been so reliable!

The other thing that surprised me in Canberra was the number of Skodas - I've never seen so many in one place. Great to see that many on the roads.

dArK5HaD0w
27-09-2011, 06:48 AM
I assume that it is the Silver Wagon? I saw it this morning in Woden before I left. Great to see that it has been so reliable!

The other thing that surprised me in Canberra was the number of Skodas - I've never seen so many in one place. Great to see that many on the roads.

there is also a silver superb sedan taxi that does its rounds around civic. i c it almost once or twice every week.

yeah....i'm seeing more n more skodas in canberra recently. mainly octavias though. few of them vrs models.

pologti18t
27-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Awesome news that its been so bullet proof.

I hear there are a few of them now and possibly many more to come as there is nothing in the market with the capabilities or reliability.

Surely a boring old Ford Falcon on gas will do the job just efficiently and with cheaper servicing.
Remember, a taxi's life in NSW can be 5 yrs and 400-500K km.

gldgti
27-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Surely a boring old Ford Falcon on gas will do the job just efficiently and with cheaper servicing.
Remember, a taxi's life in NSW can be 5 yrs and 400-500K km.

not as efficiently but probably with cheaper servicing.

pologti18t
27-09-2011, 04:18 PM
not as efficiently but probably with cheaper servicing.

Falcons run on LPG. So even though they use more fuel than the Superb they are cheaper per km to run.

brad
27-09-2011, 05:13 PM
$4,000 seems a little high for servicing, but I would assume there would be a least a set of tyres in the mix if not even more sets. Good news that the vehicle has been to do 120,000km in a year without too many problems.

The dealer would only know about the mandatory services. Don't forget the Skoda is 3 years/UNLIMITED KILOMETRES so it would be worthwhile to maintain a relationship & service history with the dealer.
120,000km would be 8 services x an average $400 = $3200 plus a timing belt ($800 sounds fair-ish). I doubt the dealer would know about tyres because no self respecting cabby would get tyres from a dealer. Same with brakes - I'd think there were 3 sets of pads & 1 set of rotors. Again, a cabby would go aftermarket.

Fords & Holdens are pretty cheap to run because you can always find a backyarder to do the work cheap & parts can be had at stupidly low prices. In Sydney & Mel the drivers hire the cabs (mainly) but once you hit the provincial areas there are more owner/drivers & they tend to look slightly beyond cheapest price. Look at how many Toyotas are up in Cairns.

pologti18t
28-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I would be more worried with the DSG gearbox lasting the distance. A recon'd 4 speed auto for a Falcoooon is about 1200 fitted.
In europe they tend to run manual taxis.

CanberravRS
28-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Reason why the Superbs are silver service or limo's is due to the rear space quality. Plus the fairlane/ ltd is no longer made. That leaves a Superb or Statesman/Caprice which mechanically are dogs, and like many dogs have short lives.
Sent from my Mango Windows Phone using Board Express