PDA

View Full Version : Number Plate Mounting

wai
08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
G'day,

I was wondering what happens with mounting the number plates?

I have NSW bi-centennial number plates that will be transferred over. I have one adaptor that came with the plates for the rear, but am not sure if the mounting will match any holes provided.

Do you know where mounting adaptors can be bought?

The only other option would be to re-drill the plates, and hope they do not drill through the numbers (which is not permitted)

Thanks.

brad
08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
photos of plates & vehicle mounts?

There's a huge thread on number plate mounts in either the MKV or MKVI section.

I fitted mine myself with double sided tape & they are still going strong 3 years later.

Didn't you say you were a consulting Eng? Surely you can "heal thyself" & find a better solution than what the dealership will throw at you? If you don't give them some direction the dealership will do it the quickest, shonkiest way possible.

wai
08-07-2011, 06:03 PM
photos of plates & vehicle mounts?

There's a huge thread on number plate mounts in either the MKV or MKVI section.

Didn't you say you were a consulting Eng? Surely you can "heal thyself" & find a better solution than what the dealership will throw at you? If you don't give them some direction the dealership will do it the quickest, shonkiest way possible.

That is what I want to avoid.

I will head over to that thread.

I would rather buy one if it is available rather than design one up and then have it made :) The problem is that I don't have any information on the standard holes and their position.

Corey_R
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
There's plenty of info in the thread that brad mentioned, but pretty much where we get our plate brackets, and associated covers, from is Lakin Custom Plate Brackets (http://www.lakinplates.com.au/)

If Philip Reeve doesn't already know the details of the car you're getting, he'll go and look at one in the flesh so he can add it to his extensive bracket database.

Do a search in that thread on my user name and the keywords "Lakin Plates" and you'll find posts with detailed photos of the products and installation etc. It's from my Golf R, but similar stuff is suitable for Caddy's too.

wai
08-07-2011, 06:48 PM
There's plenty of info in the thread that brad mentioned, but pretty much where we get our plate brackets, and associated covers, from is Lakin Custom Plate Brackets (http://www.lakinplates.com.au/)

If Philip Reeve doesn't already know the details of the car you're getting, he'll go and look at one in the flesh so he can add it to his extensive bracket database.

Do a search in that thread on my user name and the keywords "Lakin Plates" and you'll find posts with detailed photos of the products and installation etc. It's from my Golf R, but similar stuff is suitable for Caddy's too.

Thanks. I have sent him an e-mail. Hopefully he will be able to help.

The bicentennial number plates are approximately 300 x 160. When they were bought, you got a couple of adaptors. To the best of my knowledge, I used one to fit to my Torana, and the other on the one I will be trading in. I will be able to use that one, but I cannot find the remains of the other one.

Corey_R
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
You won't need any adaptors now. Philip will sort you out :)