PDA

View Full Version : clutch cables

posscakes
13-06-2007, 09:20 AM
well i'm guessing it was a clutch cable that went pop, hence i got no clutch action now and the passat is stranded between here and school. i'm going back for a closer look its one of the things i hate about vw's is the lack of room underneath you either need ramps,a handy gutter, or in this case a jack other than that i love them... more later.

hiho
13-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Posscakes,

I have some spare clutch cables to suit a MK1 diesel golf, not sure if they are the same or not. Also, the firewall on the golfs fatigues and the clutch cable pulls through the firewall, not sure if this happens on the Passat but its worth checking.

Matt

posscakes
13-06-2007, 11:35 AM
clutch cable 2 pieces but hiho thankfully not the firewall as well. take back previous comments bout underneath access as i discovered i don't need it. i don't think a golf one will fit just had quick look at my girlfriends golf mk 1 looks a bit different due to the way the engine sits. But can anyone clarify wether a clutch cable off a petrol engined passat will fit a 1.5D? bentley seems to say so... cheers chris.

posscakes
13-06-2007, 01:13 PM
little bugger...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/06/646uamb-1.jpg
i just ordered a new a one on busdepot.com US$4 a piece..

posscakes
13-06-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/06/66kg6k1-1.jpg
hope this pic works ain't it lovely when one gld helps another gld.

posscakes
13-06-2007, 04:52 PM
should introduce this car to the forum. its the car i talked my girlfriend into buying a few months back now, its a 1984 sa import has a 1600 non turbo diesel under the bonnet. shes goes pretty good no name as yet. pretty chuffed i worked out this picture thing.

posscakes
12-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I haven't checked in for a while so i might write something...

The ebay passat's still going on a whole its a reliable and cheap but bits tend to crap out and its tricky for parts.

rewind 18months.... the $4 clutch cables were a foot too short, my mistake but clutch cables from the U.S where they go in left hand drive cars etc etc.a place in adelaide Flexidrive fabricated a new one for $50. i took it to the mechanic, Volksfactory in Adelaide they are good. they fitted the new clutch cable, replaced the inserts on the front suspension (it was basically riding on the springs like flying a cesnar), replaced the gear linkage set up, took the sump off and fixed that (braze welded a new sump plug on - pretty tedious welding thin metals), gave it a service etc.

Old passat parts are hard to get but theres another model Audi 5+5 that shares some passat parts, thats how i got my gear linkage.

the headlight relay and the glowplug relay simulatenously crapped out on the road mechanic mailed me up glowplug relay had to bypass headlight relay. the ignition died the other day so i've been hotwiring it but it'll get a toggle before a new ignition presents itself i bet ... i need new indicator switches and wiper switch for the column too. the list slowly grows

still getting oil in the coolant, its been like that since i bought it and i've put about 15,000 km on it. the motor starts and runs fine so i dunno the only visable sign is oil in the coolant so i have to dump it a bit. head gasket, head, some valve ? i dunno but motor still runs well and it doesn't use heaps of oil so the leak must be small. still annoying getting oil in the radiator.

anyway life and times of volkswagen owner

gldgti
14-12-2008, 08:59 PM
hey mate, nice to hear from an old dubber.

be good if you'd been hangin around a little while ago, mollins just sent his old diesel passat to the metal recyclers, probably some bits on it you could have had :-(

its a good idea to do any electrical repairs right the first time to save you hassles in the long term. also, google HSY autoparts -they have a branch in SA and they can get a lot of parts for older dubs.

don't be afraid to ask for help on here, theres a few of us with old bit and pieces lying around.

on your oil in coolant issue - obviously its a head gasket leak, but as you say if its not effecting hte running of the vehicle too mush its probably not too much of a problem. i can suggest doing a hot engine re-torque of the head however. if you require, i can post you up the revised diesel head torque procedures (not listed in early manuals).

good luck,

aydan

posscakes
15-12-2008, 12:41 AM
yeah you're right about doing it properly the first time... tho sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to keep it going...

I have been in central Qld last 5 months not much in the way of old euro cars up here to pilfer bits off not like adelaide or melbourne, but as long as she gets me from a to b theres either me mums car at one end or a turbo diesel work ute at the other end.

Biggest drawback with head gasket leak is the engine runs hot. though if i have the heater and the fan running full it takes the temperature gauge from either one or two bars from the red back to about half. I'm gonna get the mechanic to take the head off in feb and do the gasket and few other things.

jets
15-12-2008, 02:45 PM
if you require, i can post you up the revised diesel head torque procedures (not listed in early manuals).
aydan

Would you post up the revised details here for the rest of us who might be interested, Thanks.

gldgti
16-12-2008, 06:02 AM
here it is, as requested - note that this is for the pre-'81 diesels WITHOUT stretch bolts....

this procedure, though long and drawn out is certainly more reliable than the old procedure originally released.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/gldgti/head_torque2.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/gldgti/head_torque1.jpg

jets
30-12-2008, 08:06 AM
A rather belated thank you gldgti, just came back to this thread. BTW where does this info come from?