PDA

View Full Version : Legality of re-drilled wheels?

ausgolfer
13-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey people,
Was wondering if anyone knows the legality of redrilling wheels?
I picked up a set of audi a3 telephone dials for free that the previous owner has redrilled to the golf stud pattern but said to make them legal/roadworthy you have to weld up the old holes? Does anyone know if this is the case? I know there are plenty of multi fit wheels out there but thats slightly different I know.
Cheers.

ausgolfer
14-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Anyone know?

syncro
15-02-2006, 04:07 AM
Maybe ask a wheel maker/modifier/repairer?

I think it's a bit of a grey area.

roccodingo
15-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey people,
Was wondering if anyone knows the legality of redrilling wheels?
I picked up a set of audi a3 telephone dials for free that the previous owner has redrilled to the golf stud pattern but said to make them legal/roadworthy you have to weld up the old holes? Does anyone know if this is the case? I know there are plenty of multi fit wheels out there but thats slightly different I know.
Cheers.

been through this before...

Alloy wheels gain there strength from the heat treatment applied to the wheel... WELDING holes up removes the heat treatment properties from the wheel. If you still require to do this for a road vehicle, you will likely need either an engineers certificate quite likely with input from a metallurgist.

might be fine for your bush hack, but to do this to a higher powered road car is risky to say the least...

The info supplied to me came from a previous employer metallurgist who has strong affiliation with the automotive scene. Now as for the legality, you would have to sus that out from your state authorities..

best of luck...

syncro
16-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I have seen professional redrilled wheels and would not have a problem with them.

The ones that I have seen have not been welded, but have had an insert pressed into the wheel. I think they would be legal as long as it was done by a licenced wheel repairer.