PDA

View Full Version : 103TDI 4x4 Vs 125TDI

VAG newbie
02-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Ok, this bad! After saying goodbye to the Passat, I thought I'm settled. But during the process of renegotiating with the dealer, the 103TDI pop-up!

The 4x4 is very attractive, which should improve the handling, and it only costs $500 more. But you sacrifice on power and torque (although not a lot). 4x4 should also be able to retain resale value more than FWD (I don't know, maybe....)

Which one would you pick? Assuming all other equipments are the same, would you fork out the extra $500? 103TDI 4x4 or 125TDI?

theduckster
02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
After I saw that the Passat deal fell through for you (which completely sucked and I even I feel bad as that was one sweet deal) I thought you might have a problem choosing between the new 103TDI 4X4 and the 125 TDI.

As I'm getting the V6 4X4 model (arrived at the dealer yesterday!!!!!), I would have too admit I'm completely biased and say you should pay the extra $500 and join the 4x4 fold !!!

From the information that I have heard so far the 103TDI won't be launched until September so you might have to take the punt and go ahead and order one now for your January pick up without the chance of trying it for yourself. At least with the 125 TDI you have driven it and you know what to expect from it.

Good luck with which ever one you decide to go with. At least you have two good cars to choose from and should be be very happy with which ever one you select.

VAG newbie
03-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Don't feel bad for me, strange enough, I don't feel bad at all. In fact, I'm kind of happy that the deal fell through. I guess I liked the Superb way more than the Passat!

Anyway, went to the Skoda UK site and downloaded their brochure. Noticed a few more difference. The 103TDI is actually not in the same league as your 3.6FSI. Yours is p

VAG newbie
03-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Accidentally pushed "post reply".

Anyway, the V6 is powerful so no performance is sacrificed for handling. You got the best in both world! But of course the much higher price and fuel consumption.

The 103TDI on the other hand, is slower than the 125TDI. 0-62mph (UK figure, which is about 100kph I think), 103 TDI takes 10.7 sec, compare with 125TDI's 8.8 sec. That suggests it might be a little underpowered and may struggle a bit on freeway overtakings.

Yet the fuel consumption is worse for the 103TDI 4x4. 6.2l/100km Vs 6.0l/100km (UK figure).

So I guess the difference is not just the $500, but gotta sacrifice performance and fuel consumption a bit for the handling. Hmm....the fuel consumption is not that bad, but the lack of power could be a killer in Oz market....(speaking from my experience with my Rover 75. The 2.5l V6, while adequate for the UK market, was a real slug here. It couldn't even catch up my sister's Honda Jazz 1.3)

Jake02
03-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I was going to say 103 4x4 because I thought that the difference in performance from 103 to 125 wasn't that big but man that 4x4 really kills it. 10.7 seconds! I know it's not all about acceleration and that the mid range torque of the 103 (let alone 125) is lethal but that really does sound slow. I think a drive is in order :).

I wish they'd give the Superb the 3.0TDI (from the VW Touareg/Phaeton & Audi A4/5/6/8/Q5/7) with at least 150kW (although it's made in 150kW, 180kW and the new A6 has a 220kW version); at least it's already adapted to 4x4! Let's not forget the Superb really is Audi A6-sized.

Transporter
03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Take it for a good ride when raining and you will fall in love with the 4motion system. :)

K1W1
03-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I have a mate who owns a 103TDI A4 Audi with DSG (2WD) and there is no way that thing is short of power for overtaking or general driving.
Personally I would always buy the 4x4 option if it were available having on 2WD is one thing that annoyed me about the VRS.

VAG newbie
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I have a mate who owns a 103TDI A4 Audi with DSG (2WD) and there is no way that thing is short of power for overtaking or general driving.
Personally I would always buy the 4x4 option if it were available having on 2WD is one thing that annoyed me about the VRS.

That A4 you are talking about is 2WD. In the UK figure, 2WD 103TDI has acceleration 0-100kph in 10.2sec. So when the torque is distributed to all 4 wheels, it's 0.5 sec slower, which is quite significant in car's term.

A4 is also a smaller and lighter car than the superb. So even if 103TDI is adequate on the A4, will it be the same for Superb? The B6 Passat also started with 103TDI, but VW upgraded to 125TDI towards the end, it must be for a good reason. (The passat 103TDI was also 2WD only).

I would love to have the 4x4 for extra $500 if it performs like the 125TDI, but now by looking at the figure....would many of you sacrifice performance and fuel consumption for the 4x4? I'm talking about 0-100k in 10.7 sec!! A corolla would be faster than that! Everyday driving may be OK, but what about freeway overtaking?

Skoda should simply give us the 125TDI 4x4 then the choice won't be so hard! But then again, the price difference won't be just $500, maybe more like $3000.

Transporter
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Just take it for drive, I don't think you did?

K1W1
03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
That A4 you are talking about is 2WD. In the UK figure, 2WD 103TDI has acceleration 0-100kph in 10.2sec. So when the torque is distributed to all 4 wheels, it's 0.5 sec slower, which is quite significant in car's term.

You can obviously tell more about how an engine performs from reading web sites than I can from actually driving a vehicle with it installed on a real road. I will leave you to your browsing from now on.

VAG newbie
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
103TDI not launched yet. Ie. Not available for test drive.

Transporter
03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Our Golf5 is 103kW (the same power/torque as in Superb), I did a road trip to Hobart last year, I was able to overtake with no problems, actually you might have a problem to keep your license if you like overtaking at the high speed. I don't think that Corolla would be a match for 103TDI DSG. :)

VAG newbie
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
The 103TDI 4x4 isn't available for test drive yet. So all I can based on is the facts from the website.

I'm not looking for arguments. I'm sincerely asking for advice. If any of my wording sounds like I'm disagreeing with you, please accept my apology, as it wasn't my intention. I was simply wonder if the performance of the 103TDI is the same in 2WD compare to 4x4. It was a question, not an argument. Sorry if I made it sound like I don't take your advice. I treasure all your advices. As it will affect my decision on my next purchase, I need to make sure, especially if I'm gonna decide on a car I have never test driven.

Is there any other car that uses the 103TDI, mated with 6 speed DSG and has 4x4 that is available in Aus? I would love to try it for power even if it's not the superb. VW Tiguan?

Transporter
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes, Tiguan would be the closest to compare, but honestly even Octavia with 103TDI would be good indicator what the Superb 4x4 with 103TDI would be to drive. :)
Lots of torque from the idle makes hard to tell the difference when the engine is fitted to slightly heavier body and even 4x4 stealing some .5s or so for 0-100km/h times are nothing to be worry about. I would rather have 4x4 103TDI DSG than 125kWTDI DSG. :)

Jake02
03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Test drive an Octavia Scout 103TDI DSG and that's even similar as it's the same brand :)

VAG newbie
03-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Test drive an Octavia Scout 103TDI DSG and that's even similar as it's the same brand :)
Is it available now? I thought it only comes with manual. Geez, thanks. I'll call the dealer tomorrow! :)

Transporter
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Yeh, I forgot on Scout. :facepalm:

Inego
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
The Scout is 227kg lighter than the V6AWD superb - can't find a kerb weight on the 103TDi AWD Superb. The 10.1s for the manual Scout seems slow, but really seems to be due to odd gearing on first gear necessitating an awkward 1-2 change. In the real world it's great, and can even win traffic light duels as long as you're in front at that gear change (but I'd never try a drag off from traffic lights). At freeway speeds it will haul up hill and down dale in top gear, and overtaking punch is fine.

But test drive for yourself, factoring in a couple of extra people in the car on a permanent basis.

spellbound
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
The Scout is 227kg lighter than the V6AWD superb - can't find a kerb weight on the 103TDi AWD Superb. The 10.1s for the manual Scout seems slow, but really seems to be due to odd gearing on first gear necessitating an awkward 1-2 change. In the real world it's great, and can even win traffic light duels as long as you're in front at that gear change (but I'd never try a drag off from traffic lights). At freeway speeds it will haul up hill and down dale in top gear, and overtaking punch is fine.

But test drive for yourself, factoring in a couple of extra people in the car on a permanent basis.

Go to skoda uk site it weighs 1668 kg and 10.8 secs .

spellbound
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Go to skoda uk site it weighs 1668 kg and 10.8 secs .

125TDI 9.1 secs weight 1654 k

PassatB6
06-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I've been a passenger in a 4x4 Superb wagon 103TDI DSG overseas and I own a Scout so perhaps I can compare the two. The Superb seems smoother, quieter (CR V PD motor and more soundproofing) and just as quick. I didn't ever notice any sluggishness in the Superb and the DSG made the changes way more smooth and relaxed compared to the Scout. As good as it is in the Scout, the 103 TDI motor seemed to fit the Superb even better. It wont be a bullet off the line but its a limo and its overtaking and cruising ability should be fine.

theduckster
10-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Accidentally pushed "post reply".

Anyway, the V6 is powerful so no performance is sacrificed for handling. You got the best in both world! But of course the much higher price and fuel consumption.

The 103TDI on the other hand, is slower than the 125TDI. 0-62mph (UK figure, which is about 100kph I think), 103 TDI takes 10.7 sec, compare with 125TDI's 8.8 sec. That suggests it might be a little underpowered and may struggle a bit on freeway overtakings.

Yet the fuel consumption is worse for the 103TDI 4x4. 6.2l/100km Vs 6.0l/100km (UK figure).

So I guess the difference is not just the $500, but gotta sacrifice performance and fuel consumption a bit for the handling. Hmm....the fuel consumption is not that bad, but the lack of power could be a killer in Oz market....(speaking from my experience with my Rover 75. The 2.5l V6, while adequate for the UK market, was a real slug here. It couldn't even catch up my sister's Honda Jazz 1.3)

The big attraction with the V6 for me was the 4X4. If the V6 didn't come with the 4X4, I would have probably stuck with a Subaru Liberty instead of the Superb. Driving Subaru's for the last 6 years the 4X4 or AWD drive means a lot to me as I don't feel entirely comfortable in a vehicle that doesn't have it, especially in the wet. The Falcon and Commodores have the grunt but for me they lack the driveability, that I have become accustomed too. Seeing that the V6 came with 4X4 made the Superb purchase a no brainer for me.

Even though the 103 TDI lacks the 0-100km/h time that the 125TDI I would personally still go with the 103 TDI because of the 4X4 option as there would be more times that I would be happier to have the 4X4 option over getting to 100km/h a few seconds quicker.

Have you placed a order yet?

VAG newbie
10-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes. It was a tough choice, but I decided to stick with original choice, the 125TDI.

I thought of order the 103TDI 4x4, and put in the contract "subject to test drive", and if I don't like it, then I'll go back to the 125TDI. Unfortunately the dealer told me if I change my mind, they can't guarantee the car for Jan delivery....

They didn't have any Scout 4x4 with DSG, so I can't even try that out. Well, like you said, either one will be a winner, so I just felt more comfortable with a car that I've tested before.

Well, I'm leasing the car anyway, so once the 103 4x4 is released and I like it's handling, I can always get one 3 years later!

PS. If I test drive a 4x4 on a sunny day, would I even notice the difference? Should I purposely pick a wet day?

Transporter
11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
PS. If I test drive a 4x4 on a sunny day, would I even notice the difference? Should I purposely pick a wet day?
That would depend how hard you would drive. :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

theduckster
11-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes. It was a tough choice, but I decided to stick with original choice, the 125TDI.

In the end you have gone with the choice that you have been able to try out. You were willing to go with with the Passat in the same configuration so it has to be one that you like. As you say in three years you can swap to a 103 TDI 4X4 if that is you want you want to do. In the end the 125TDI I'm sure will be a fine choice and how knows after three years you might just be happy to go a 125TDi again without even thinking to check out the others. So a Black 125TDi it is then! Come 2012 I hope that you are very happy with the choice you have made and it's a great three years of motoring.

In the wet the grips levels in the 4X4 would be noticeable, but as Transporter says in the dry if you where prepared to drive hard you would notice it as well. In the end the 125 TDI is a good package and well handle itself well. If you can get everything you want in it and its ready for you come January to drive in then it just becomes that much better. No guarantee that if you waited to test drive a 103 TDI 4X4, that you could get one come January anyway.

So come January 2012, VAG newbie will in a Black 125 TDI Wagon! :banana:

hmoon101
17-08-2011, 10:47 AM
103TDI price is out and looks very competitive.

2011 Skoda Superb 103TDI manufacturer’s list prices (not including government or dealer charges):

Ambition sedan – $38,990
Ambition wagon – $40,990
Ambition 4×4 sedan – $41,990
Ambition 4×4 wagon – $43,990
Elegance 4×4 sedan – $48,490
Elegance 4×4 wagon – $50,490

Trim level of Ambition:
9 air bags, dual zone climate control, rear parking sensor (with park assist in the wagon), 16in allot, heated front and so on.

Trim level of Elegacne:
All above, plus bigger alloy (18 inch maybe?), leather, sat-nav with 30GB hard drive + voice control and bi-xenon headlights.

aware
17-08-2011, 05:38 PM
103 TDI is fantastic value. We test drove a 125 TDI on the weekend, but will be after the 4X4 103 TDI, because we've had a few Subarus and like the benefits of 4X4. That being said, even if there was no 4X4 diesel, the Superb is still at the top of our list as there isn't much else that compares with the Superb, in all aspects of the car - value for money, quality, the way it drives, comfort etc.

The starting price for this should really be a winner for Skoda. There is a lot of competition in that segment, and for a lot of families, the size of the Superb is a real winner alone. I have not been in a car in this segment that isn't a Statesman with that much space! Now with a Diesel alternative that is the same price as the 118TSI, what's not to like?

BlackSuperb
18-08-2011, 08:23 PM
There doesn't seem to be a green star rating yet on www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au yet for the 103TDI 4x4. Does anybody know how many stars it rates?

Greg Roles
19-08-2011, 06:15 AM
I would go the 103 4x4 and visit any name brand tuner, they all offer an upgrade to 125+ kw and high 300 torx, and quite safely too.

VAG newbie
13-01-2012, 01:46 PM
While my 125TDI is being repaired under warranty, I was provided by the dealer, a 103TDI 4x4 Yeti as a courtesy loan car. As the feeling of the 125TDI is still fresh, and I get to have the Yeti over the weekend, drivng along roads that are the same, this allows me to compare the 2 engines that most of us can't do during test drives. Of course, the 2 cars have different size and weight, so it is still not as good as having a 103TDI Superb 4x4.

Personally, I can still notice the difference in power and torque, although it's not that much. The 103TDI is still powerful, and it is definitely more than enough for most drivng condition. But it is a bit slower during acceleration and requires a bit more push on the peddle..

The significant difference is fuel consumption. My driving habit is the same in both cars, and I am always gentle with my accelerator. But I generally achieve a fuel consumption figure of high 5's to mid 6's/100km on the 125TDI, but mid 6's to 7L/100km on the 103TDI. Consider the Yeti is a much smaller and lighter Superb.

We haven't had many wet weather lately, so I can't really test the full advantage of the 4x4. On dry surface, I can't tell the difference. But that's probably because I'm a gentle driver. Hopefully we have some wet weather then I can really test it out.

In conclusion, at least for me, I think for gentle drivers, 125TDI is probably a better choice. As we can't really tell the difference of FWD and 4WD. So the extra power and better fuel economy maybe more relevant to us. Well, I might change my mind once I get to test the 4x4 in a wet day.

VAG newbie
26-01-2012, 02:32 PM
?.... so we should pretty much hand the Honda back to the lease company and take the Skoda. Can't wait!

May I suggest that you try this out first rather than simply hand it back:

Vehicle Auctions, Car Auctions, Online Auction - Pickles Auctions Australia (http://www.pickles.com.au)

Recently I auctioned my Accord Euro through them. It sold ~ $3500 more than my pay out figure within 2 weeks. Even after commission and detailing cost, I still made a profit of almost $2500. Lease company sell their car through services like this anyway.

aware
26-01-2012, 06:21 PM
May I suggest that you try this out first rather than simply hand it back:

Vehicle Auctions, Car Auctions, Online Auction - Pickles Auctions Australia (http://www.pickles.com.au)

Recently I auctioned my Accord Euro through them. It sold ~ $3500 more than my pay out figure within 2 weeks. Even after commission and detailing cost, I still made a profit of almost $2500. Lease company sell their car through services like this anyway.

We are on an operating lease, not a novated lease. All we do is just choose the car and options, and that's it - the lease company does the rest. We don't have a pay out figure etc - the car is kept for 3 years, and then changed on the expiration of the rego at the end of the 3rd year.

VAG newbie
27-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Interesting. Never heard of that before. So what happens if you thrash the car around so that at the end of the lease there are 200,000km on the clock, and the car is virtually worthless? Does the lease company just swollow up the loss?

jimbomort
27-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I haven't read all 34 posts of this thread, so maybe I missed, and a bit late by the sounds of it now, but did you ever consider getting the 4wd 103tdi and doing an engine mgt system mode to lift it up to 125kw. Those are available, provided the gear box and clutch are up to it, at a bit more cost could have the 4wd and some extra grunt? I dont know if anyone has done that reflash in the Tig forum, a few talked about, but not sure if anyone has, but no doubt someone in the forum with a 103tdi in some VAG version has done

anyway something to consider. Its not the 2.5tdi, but I think the power and torque outputs are quite comparable

BlackSuperb
27-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Interesting. Never heard of that before. So what happens if you thrash the car around so that at the end of the lease there are 200,000km on the clock, and the car is virtually worthless? Does the lease company just swollow up the loss?

You just drive it to the dealer and hand them the keys. They make sure that the car is in reasonable condition aesthetic wise so there will be no additional charges. All done and finished.

If the lease was with a commercial lease company, they won't be losing money on it. You pay them per kilometer you drive and you also pay for the fuel that you use, plus you pay for other stuff, depreciation, tyres etc. The benefit is that you pay in pre-tax dollars.

Or you may find that that some employers (like the one I work for), finance the vehicle themselves, and cut out the lease company altogether. They may subcontract out the maintenance and fuel management.

I'll be handing mine back in September and it should have around 90,000km on the clock. It's a 125TDI and has been flawless so far. Expect to see it at the auctions around that time.

VAG newbie
28-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I'll be handing mine back in September and it should have around 90,000km on the clock. It's a 125TDI and has been flawless so far. Expect to see it at the auctions around that time.

I envy you.... So far with the dealer's courtesy Superb, there have been no problem either. How come my car has to have problem only 4 days after having it. I've waited for 6 months and I'm still waiting....

Anyway, Please let us know how much you get for your car. Since resale of the Superb has been a mystery, let us know how it performs.

aware
30-01-2012, 05:22 PM
That can't really happen - you are expected to maintain the vehicle as if it is your own. Kms are monitored as well - over the life of the car (at least in our case) the projected kms change depending on usage - for us, we'll hand the Accord back with around 50,000kms in just over 3 years - for us this is below the projected kms, mainly due to dad living overseas for the best part of the last 18 months. However as part of the payment for the car every month, all running costs and the actual car are covered in the payments. We have a fleet card that is used to pay for the fuel in the car, all servicing, and even in December when the battery died, the replacement. Even when the battery was replaced the lease company asked for the odometer reading - the odo reading has to be given at every fill up as well, so the kms are constantly monitored.

I'll be handing mine back in September and it should have around 90,000km on the clock. It's a 125TDI and has been flawless so far.

That's great to read waiting for ours!

beachie1
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
How about Passat Allroad Wagon to be released shortly.4x4 and 125TDI.Might be pricey though.
Best of luck.
Regards
Beachie.
2006 2wd Kombi Beach Man.