PDA

View Full Version : Yeti prices now up.....

Makk
30-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Prices for QLD, from skoda.com.au....

ŠKODA Yeti Driveaway Price*

Yeti 77TSI (6sp manual) $33,033.90*

Yeti 77TSI (6sp DSG) $35,402.90*

Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp manual) $40,243.90*

Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp DSG) $42,612.90*

I had hoped they'd be slightly less :-(

Jake02
30-06-2011, 07:51 PM
And also Yeti brochures and Fabia pricing and brochures too!

And upon looking at them I am a tad disappointed. The Fabia seems really, really well equipped for the money ($22k driveaway gets you 6-airbags, ESP, leather wheel/gearknob, front fogs, Bluetooth, 8-speaker sound system, a variety of colours (Superb and Octavia colour choices could be widened if I'm honest) and optional are:
Metallic colour / pearl effect paint
Rear parking sensors
Swing radio - 2 DIN with CD, MP3
MDI - Mobile device interface (only with radio Swing )
Climate control air conditioning
Electric glass sunroof
Partial leather seats - leather/artificial, leather/fabric
Alarm system
Antares 15" alloy wheels.

The Fabia Monte Carlo brochure seems to be a bit cut and paste because it lists the same options as options but says a sunroof and other things are standard equipment. Hmm... As for the Yeti I'm a tad disappointed, I at least thought that Columbus sat-nav would be standard equipment on the 4x4 model. Yes the range gets Bluetooth and other goodies as standard, but if you want a Yeti with nice things on it I imagine it'll end up costing quite a lot of money. Also, they've decided to do the different roof colouring here which I didn't think they would. Yeti options are:
Metallic colour/pearl effect paint
MDI - Mobile Device Interface
Xenon headlights with dynamic angle control and integrated headlight washers
Front foglights (4x2)
Front foglights with 'Corner' function (4x4)
'Columbus' satellite navigation incl. 30GB hard drive and voice control (8 speakers)
Panoramic sunroof
Privacy glass from B-pillar
Alarm system
Rear parking sensors
Front and rear sensors parking sensors
Park Assist (parallel parking assistance including front and rear parking sensors.

The Fabia is great work Skoda Australia, big pat on the back, but the Yeti could have some tweaking...

K1W1
30-06-2011, 09:21 PM
You guys in Qld are being shafted by somebody (I assume your state Govt)

Melbourne prices

Yeti 77TSI (6sp manual) $32,297.90*
Yeti 77TSI (6sp DSG) $34,652.90*
Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp manual) $39,472.90*
Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp DSG) $41,827.90*

Take off the normal discounts and the 103TDI DSG will be driving around Victoria at under $40k (before extras) I reckon.

VWSceptic
30-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Hmmm NSW Prices for yeti... essentially same RR price as a Forester Diesel .. I thought it would be a bit cheaper

Yeti 77TSI (6sp manual) $32,514.00*
Yeti 77TSI (6sp DSG) $34,883.00*
Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp manual) $40,096.00*
Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp DSG) $42,465.00*

woofy
30-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't really know what to say, I'm not in the market for either, but those prices for the Yeti are way too high. You'd just buy the Tiguan and be done with it really.

Illy
30-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Doesnt matter. I bet you these will sell like crazy.

VWSceptic
30-06-2011, 10:03 PM
I am in the market and was waiting to consider the yeti as it seems to be practical. the Tig has a tiny boot and not usefull for me. Although i am not over keen on the looks of the Subaru Forester .. with discounts one most probably could get the Premium Diesel Forester for the same price as the manual yeti 103 if you added any options. Being new there is unlikely to be any easy discounts. Hmmm seems crazy to price it like a Tiguan. Pretty disappointed.

Illy
30-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I am in the market and was waiting to consider the yeti as it seems to be practical. the Tig has a tiny boot and not usefull for me. Although i am not over keen on the looks of the Subaru Forester .. with discounts one most probably could get the Premium Diesel Forester for the same price as the manual yeti 103 if you added any options. Being new there is unlikely to be any easy discounts. Hmmm seems crazy to price it like a Tiguan. Pretty disappointed.

You should check it out in the flesh first and give it a test drive. Its only after that you should make your decision. If I was in a market for a soft roader, I would choose the Yeti over the Tiguan and Subaru because of the looks. But thats just me.

VWSceptic
30-06-2011, 10:08 PM
The 103 DSG Yeti in NZ is $NZ48,000 = $A37,000 hmmmm

K1W1
30-06-2011, 10:14 PM

You can't compare the two. Skoda is imported into NZ by a private distributor not the factory as in Australia and there is a completely different tax and licensing structure.

K1W1
30-06-2011, 10:15 PM

You can't compare the two. Skoda is imported into NZ by a private distributor not the factory as in Australia and there is a completely different tax and licensing structure.

Zelig
30-06-2011, 10:15 PM
The 103TDI DSG price would be ok if leather was standard, but adding another $2.5k for leather is starting to make the Yeti dear compared to a Sportage Platinum or ix35 Highlander. Still cheaper than a Tiguan, though.

I'm off to the Motor Show in Melbourne tomorrow. First stop the Skoda stand, so will see what they have to say.

Will be interested to know what the delivery lead times will be.

VWSceptic
30-06-2011, 10:17 PM
You should check it out in the flesh first and give it a test drive. Its only after that you should make your decision. If I was in a market for a soft roader, I would choose the Yeti over the Tiguan and Subaru because of the looks. But thats just me.

Of course I will test drive before deciding. I want something that copes with bad roads (northern NSW), carries good loads and has long term reliability. Looks have some importance but are secondary. While I like the looks and practicality of Yeti, not sure its worth waiting few months and be in queue for one well over $42K...

VWSceptic
30-06-2011, 10:19 PM
The 103TDI DSG price would be ok if leather was standard, but adding another $2.5k for leather is starting to make the Yeti dear compared to a Sportage Platinum or ix35 Highlander. Still cheaper than a Tiguan, though.

I'm off to the Motor Show in Melbourne tomorrow. First stop the Skoda stand, so will see what they have to say.

Will be interested to know what the delivery lead times will be.

Thanks Zelig .. keep us country cousins posted please

Zelig
30-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Hmmm NSW Prices for yeti...
Yeti 4x4 103TDI (6sp DSG) $42,465.00*

I get $42,580 for my NSW postcode.

VWSceptic
30-06-2011, 10:26 PM

I thought we lived now in a free market capitalist nirvana, lol. Of course we can compare the two. The reasons for difference in prices may be complex, but $A5,000???

Transporter
30-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I don't really know what to say, I'm not in the market for either, but those prices for the Yeti are way too high. You'd just buy the Tiguan and be done with it really.

I couldn't agree more. I feel like we had a bargain in last July.

Jake02
30-06-2011, 11:19 PM
For all you Tiguan v Yeti peeps, the Tiguan with Yeti equipment (Tiguan's Comfort pack, Bluetooth, bigger alloys and front fogs) does cost $3k more. The Yeti's added practicality and actually interesting styling is a massive winner over the Tiguan for me... I would like the 118TSI though.

team_v
01-07-2011, 06:13 AM
For all you Tiguan v Yeti peeps, the Tiguan with Yeti equipment (Tiguan's Comfort pack, Bluetooth, bigger alloys and front fogs) does cost $3k more. The Yeti's added practicality and actually interesting styling is a massive winner over the Tiguan for me... I would like the 118TSI though.

It comes down to what you want from a car imho.
I didn't need auto lights and shiz that will "go wrong" that i could complain about on a forum so i went a base 125 and drove away for 37k.
Got my own upgrades that i wanted and it cost another 3-4k or so but now it is everything i want.
If you want extra's at a cheaper price then you look for the entry level options such as Yeti, ASX (poor comparison but it is being done now since hardly anyone would tkae a 40k car offroad in reality).

Never had an issue with the space and i can't believe how the Yeti can give much more space when it is esentially the same car.
In fact, i had 4 adults and 120kg of luggage from the airport in the car last week and all it took was to fold down 1 seat and everyone was in snug but comfortable.

The built in circle headlights are very odd looking :|

Transporter
01-07-2011, 06:47 AM
OK, lets not turn this thread to Yeti x Tiguan comparison thread, we have a plenty of time for that after somebody here buy it and compare it then. The Yeti was already compared (plenty of youtube videos) to other models and it came on the top.

I like the Yeti's looks and believe that the interior practicality and even the off road capability will be something that Tiguan and some others will not be able to compete against. As for the released price, I would wait when someone buy it first and then make a comment. :)

hippyhippy
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
but at these prices... you have to compare the 2 cars .. come on.. for basically the same money, you're getting the same car that just looks different. Now since skoda is a meant to be a budget brand, why does buying the same car cost the same money?

The Yeti is about 10k too expensive imho.

Transporter
01-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Nobody is asking you to buy it. ;)
...and who said that Skoda is a budget car company? :?
IMO, Yeti is much better package than Tiguan. So, I'd like to ask all the Tiguan owners to spare their comments until the Yeti is sold here. :)

http://www.skoda.com.au/skodaaustralia/

theduckster
01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Australian Launch of the Yeti won't be until October. At the moment, Skoda Australia are only promising dealerships 1-2 Yeti's for the launch. The launch of the Fabia is too take place in September.

Zelig
01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
At the Skoda stand at the motor show as I type. Bad news is that the Columbus Sat Nav is NOT standard on the 4 x 4 103 TDI model. Skoda website was wrong and will be updated.

Looks like no electric seat option. No one around who can confirm option prices.

Zelig
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Boot has space saver spare and raised floor.Capacity of 310 litres with seats up, ie similar to Tiguan.

Zelig
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Back from the Motor Show. A little underwhelmed with the Yeti. Perhaps that is what happens when you build up your expectations in your mind beforehand.

Going back again tomorrow for another look at the Motor Show before flying home.

Skoda stand only had the eye candy manning the stand, so not a lot of reliable information. The girl I was talking to kept saying the dealers had gone home. Maybe tomorrow morning there will be some sales reps who know a bit more.

First vehicles due in Showrooms by Sept for test drives with about 200 cars due in October for actual sale (assuming you are happy with the chosen configuration/colour etc). I will try and find out tomorrow what sort of lead times you can expect if you place an order after test driving the first arrivals.

Yeti is definitely a striking look. Different from the rest of the crowd. Boot size will be a turn off for a lot of buyers. It is easily the smallest compared to rivals like Sportage, ix35, Dualis, ASX, 3008 etc. Even the Range Rover Evoque (also a striking looking vehicle, although significantly more expensive) has a better boot (although I forgot to check the spare).

Strangely, VW stand had no Tiguans on display so couldn't compare the Yeti to its brother.

bobski
02-07-2011, 12:04 AM

There are no SUVs I can think of in that size/configuration for the low mid 20s - and if there are they'd be cheap and nasty. So 10k less doesn't seem plausible. Skoda is a premium budget brand, its not a buzzbox, IMO they shouldn't price them as such.

The market segment that the Yeti sits in is around 30k for comparatively fuel guzzling low-tech petrols. I'm sure it'll have similar ride, handling, interior and plushness to the Skoda's some of us know and love, so I think it'll be a strong contender around that price point. I do think its got a slightly underpowered engine at the low level of spec (at least on paper), however, there's nothing petrol in that segment using under 8/l per 100k, so it'll have brilliant fuel usage going for it.

bobski
02-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeti is definitely a striking look. Different from the rest of the crowd. Boot size will be a turn off for a lot of buyers. It is easily the smallest compared to rivals like Sportage, ix35, Dualis, ASX, 3008 etc. Even the Range Rover Evoque (also a striking looking vehicle, although significantly more expensive) has a better boot (although I forgot to check the spare).

Strangely, VW stand had no Tiguans on display so couldn't compare the Yeti to its brother.

Bootspace difference is about 20l in the favour of the Yeti (which is two thirds of **** all). It definitely put me off the Tiguan, and its also the biggest reason I hear when people talk about why they didn't buy the Tiguan. So it'll cost some sales. But there are plenty of people out there that use them as second cars, or just don't have a need for a big boot to buy instead of me :)

Interested to know how it looks in the flesh with the two tone colours. They look a bit funny in some of the colours (to me anyway), but the two tones look good. (although I still like the look regardless!)

Zelig
02-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Bootspace difference is about 20l in the favour of the Yeti (which is two thirds of **** all). It definitely put me off the Tiguan, and its also the biggest reason I hear when people talk about why they didn't buy the Tiguan. So it'll cost some sales. But there are plenty of people out there that use them as second cars, or just don't have a need for a big boot to buy instead of me :)

Interested to know how it looks in the flesh with the two tone colours. They look a bit funny in some of the colours (to me anyway), but the two tones look good. (although I still like the look regardless!)

Small boot will turn off some young families, but I think the Yeti will be popular with empty-nesters etc. who don't need a lot of boot space and will be attracted by the overall compact dimensions of the Yeti.

Can't comment on the two-tone look. They only have two Yeti's on display (a 77TSI and 103TDI) and both are white.

Transporter
02-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Going back again tomorrow for another look at the Motor Show before flying home.

Don't forget to check and comment back here on the versatile interior the other brands don't have in the small compact SUV. Yeti's seats can be removed, if you need more space for the cargo, the other brands very often don't even offer a flat folding rear seat.

Take some pictures as well and post it in the thread, please. :)

Zelig
02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Turns out the Yetis on display at the motor show are NZ models. The alacantra and leather in the 77TSI won't be an option for Australia.

VWSceptic
02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Turns out the Yetis on display at the motor show are NZ models. The alacantra and leather in the 77TSI won't be an option for Australia.

Thanks very much Zelig for your comments about the yeti at the show.

I don't think it's what I am looking for now. Timing is also important. May have to go with not so exciting safe options. *sighs*

Zelig
02-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Today, I was able to speak to a guy who works for Skoda Australia head office, not one of the grid girls. He was the one who told me the show vehicles were NZ models and not Australian spec.

I showed him the Skoda Australia website where it said Columbus Sat Nav was standard on 4x4 103TDI and he said that was wrong and that he would make sure the web people fixed that first thing Monday. Also showed him the poor fit of the cupholders and he just shrugged and said that is European spec, so guess we will have to like it or lump it.

I asked about what options would be available, eg Electric Seat adjustment, Heated seats etc and he basically said the Yeti Brochure on the Skoda Australia website is the most accurate in terms of specifications and options that will be available for Australia at launch.

I asked if they were going to do a Yeti Premium, like the Scout Premium (with Leather, Sunroof and Columbus for $4k extra) and he said not at this stage - obviously confident the Yetis will sell well anyway.

He said delivery time for special order models (ie unique combination of factory fitted options) would be about 4 months. He said there were about 200 Yetis about to go into production for dealer stock at launch in October. These would primarily be standard vehicles with limited options, but some dealers had requested various option combinations. All dealers will be able to see what stock is in the country so if you want options like sunroof and/or leather you may get lucky with the initial production run even if it is on the other side of the country, otherwise I would say if you order in October you are probably looking at Mar 2012 delivery.

Jake02
02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Maybe something else this time around Zelig? Unless you can get a rightly-specced Yeti for a reasonable price then an ASX Aspire is particularly appealing to myself, mostly because of the amazing level of kit it gets (apparently it's new 1.8 diesel is very good too).

Zelig
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Maybe something else this time around Zelig? Unless you can get a rightly-specced Yeti for a reasonable price then an ASX Aspire is particularly appealing to myself, mostly because of the amazing level of kit it gets (apparently it's new 1.8 diesel is very good too).

I haven't ruled out the Yeti just yet.

After two visits to the Motor Show, it has just reminded me that there is no such thing as the perfect car. Every one of them has a little niggle here and there or is missing some feature.

You are right, the ASX Aspire is blessed with a tremendous level of kit for the price and is a definite consideration, provided of course that you are happy with the Mitsubishi "Shark" nose look. I am not a big fan of that nose, although I will say I think it works better on the ASX than it does on the Outlander or Lancer.

Don't forget, I still haven't driven the Yeti or many of the others yet.....

Timbo
05-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I predict these are going to be in high demand, as they have been overseas -- hence the delay into Australia.

Personally, I'd like a 125TDI version, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards :(

Inego
05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Personally, I'd like a 125TDI version, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards :(It'd tread on the Tig's toes too much, let alone the new Q3. Brand blindness anyone with Q3 pricing?

K1W1
05-07-2011, 06:04 PM
It'd tread on the Tig's toes too much, let alone the new Q3. Brand blindness anyone with Q3 pricing?

My next vehicle (approx 18 months) will be a SUV type, the VRS just isn't really me as a vehicle despite being a great car and at the moment the Yeti and the Q3 are the two likely front runners. I can't see myself in a Tiguan but I can see the extra value in the Q3 over the Yeti. Owning a vehicle is not just dollars and cents it has to have some emotional pull or you wouldn't even look twice at a particular product and every car would be the same.

Inego
06-07-2011, 08:57 AM
My next vehicle (approx 18 months) will be a SUV type, the VRS just isn't really me as a vehicle despite being a great car and at the moment the Yeti and the Q3 are the two likely front runners. I can't see myself in a Tiguan but I can see the extra value in the Q3 over the Yeti. Owning a vehicle is not just dollars and cents it has to have some emotional pull or you wouldn't even look twice at a particular product and every car would be the same. :) I'm not totally practical, it just seems that the Q3 doesn't offer a lot more than the badge (in a similar way to the A4 allroad in Europe, where the question has been roundly "why" when compared to the Scout).

Then again, if the Superb Scout doesn't eventuate, my next car will prob be an allroad... :)

K1W1
06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
The Scout isn't out of the question for me either. It was the Skoda I originally went to buy but at that time it was just lacking in a couple of areas like having the old PD engine. I wouldn't go for a Superb AWD even a version that is raised a little like the Scout or XC Volvos, again it's just not the vehicle I want to own although it's a great vehicle in it's own right.
As far as the Q3 is concerned yes you don't get much other than the badge and the fit and finish and the cutting edge engineering that is a couple of years away in the Skoda range and none of that probably justifies the price difference but as I said I and most other people don't buy purely on the dollars. With dollars EXCLUDED from the scenario I would probably rank them Q3, Yeti, Tiguan. The Tiguan just does nothing at all for ME and I haven't seen a Yei in the flesh yet. Other people I'm sure would have a different order for the vehicles.

BlackOctaviaRS
06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
The Scout isn't out of the question for me either. It was the Skoda I originally went to buy but at that time it was just lacking in a couple of areas like having the old PD engine. I wouldn't go for a Superb AWD even a version that is raised a little like the Scout or XC Volvos, again it's just not the vehicle I want to own although it's a great vehicle in it's own right.
As far as the Q3 is concerned yes you don't get much other than the badge and the fit and finish and the cutting edge engineering that is a couple of years away in the Skoda range and none of that probably justifies the price difference but as I said I and most other people don't buy purely on the dollars. With dollars EXCLUDED from the scenario I would probably rank them Q3, Yeti, Tiguan. The Tiguan just does nothing at all for ME and I haven't seen a Yei in the flesh yet. Other people I'm sure would have a different order for the vehicles.

I think the XC60 (230mm) has better ground clearance than the Q3 (170mm) / Yeti(185mm) / Tiguan(200mm)

K1W1
06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
It's not ground clearance it's the type of vehicle. If I want a real off roader I'll buy another Land Rover. What I do is a lot of dirt road driving and some moderate forest roads that you can drive a 2WD car on if you want but obviously something with 4WD will be better and more comfortable. It's not that the vRS won't go in those places it's just that it's not suitable particularly with the low profile tyres so I either don't go into the forests or I take my motorcycle which makes it harder to carry tripods and other camera gear. Everybodies type of use is different which is why different types of vehicles are on the market.

Inego
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
It's not that the vRS won't go in those places it's just that it's not suitable particularly with the low profile tyres so I either don't go into the forests or I take my motorcycle which makes it harder to carry tripods and other camera gear. Everybodies type of use is different which is why different types of vehicles are on the market. I had a GolfIV with a 10mm drop at each corner. I cracked two sumps on gravel roads. I replaced it with an Outback and now the Scout - the Scout's 180mm is fine - I don't need the current Outback's 220mm.

Zelig
08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
The Volvo XC60 did catch my eye at the motor show as another alternative to consider.

It is obviously a step up in class from the Yeti. The seats were just divine. Of course, price is big jump from the Yeti too.

However, it is a little bigger (4627mm long compared to Yeti 4223), which perhaps may not suit us.

An XC30 at about 4350mm long is apparently in the pipeline - that might be a better fit and will reduce the price gap to the Yeti.

Range Rover Evoque is another possibility @ 4365mm, although not sure about RR quality/reliability.

In 12-18 months time or so, I can see the choices being (all optioned with similar kit, eg leather, sunroof, sat nav etc):-

Yeti @ $40-45k
XC30 @ $50-55k
Q3 @ $65-$70k

Unless the wife falls in love with the Yeti when we finally get to drive it in October, I think we will be holding off for awhile till the Q3/XC30 hit.

Jake02
12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Just my pictures of the Skoda stand from the motorshow. I had quite a lot of fun and it was so great to see some new product! The Yeti is even more impressive than I remember and the Fabia was better than I expected! I expect them to do well :).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929829898_c4cf201241_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929829898/)
P7070032 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929829898/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929852716_5f874021f9_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929852716/)
P7070050 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929852716/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929823310_58d0ca8e61_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929823310/)
P7070027 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929823310/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929824570_639347db2d_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929824570/)
P7070028 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929824570/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929283507_d634887904_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929283507/)
P7070040 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929283507/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929839022_7ec9ff829a_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929839022/)
P7070039 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929839022/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929837684_2112cca76e_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929837684/)
P7070038 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929837684/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929845224_1cbbe871af_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929845224/)
P7070044 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929845224/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929841444_232d529d47_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929841444/)
P7070041 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929841444/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

Jake02
12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929290933_093fba1917_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929290933/)
P7070046 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929290933/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929289891_d8982e3924_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929289891/)
P7070045 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929289891/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929827402_3ed72ac64b_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929827402/)
P7070030 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929827402/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929826012_3f6e07242e_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929826012/)
P7070029 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929826012/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929832404_916608a807_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929832404/)
P7070034 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929832404/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929834988_fa4a01c813_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929834988/)
P7070036 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929834988/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929833778_ee53a82200_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929833778/)
P7070035 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929833778/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929292189_492d33aa3a_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929292189/)
P7070047 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929292189/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929289891_d8982e3924_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929289891/)
P7070045 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929289891/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929811944_2839a83949_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929811944/)
P7070018 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929811944/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5929810712_db7c769df8_z-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929810712/)
P7070017 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59720907@N04/5929810712/) by Jake02Airtrek (http://www.flickr.com/people/59720907@N04/), on Flickr

hentaiboy
22-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Yeti 77TSI (7sp DSG) costs LESS in NZ than a Golf 77TSI (7sp DSG). In Australia it costs around $10K more. WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF.

Yeti 77TSI (7sp DSG)
NZ = $37,500 (A$30,000)
OZ = $35,000

Golf 77TSI (7sp DSG)
NZ = $38,500 (A$30,500)
OZ = $25,000

In NZ (as in Europe), Skoda is still perceived as a budget brand. Obviously not here :(

Jake02
22-07-2011, 06:03 PM
A) the 103TDI 4x4 is cheaper here and B) include the NZ on-roads please.

And also, as I'm sure K1W1 will explain in further detail, the NZ car Market is absolutely irrelevant. A large percentage of their car industry are imports from Singapore or Japan whereas Australian companies don't have to deal with them because our import laws are much more restricting. Their car sectors are largely different and theres no point in comparing really. Our Fabias are better than theirs but they're not complaining! The Yeti hasn't even gone on sale yet, maybe we'll comment on how expensive they are (or aren't) when we see the sales figures.

K1W1
22-07-2011, 10:11 PM
What he said.
Comparing NZ prices with Aust prices in isolation is a waste of time.

hentaiboy
22-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Comparing NZ prices with Aust prices in isolation is a waste of time.

You miss my point. I'm saying that in NZ the base Yeti is cheaper than the base Golf.
In the UK the base Yeti is cheaper than the base Golf.
In Australia the base Yeti is $10K more than the base Golf.

I'll say it again. WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF. Well not me 'cos I won't be buying one :cool:

Jake02
22-07-2011, 11:27 PM
You missED my point. NZ is a completely different market and it therefore doesn't apply here. Skoda Australia sold 238 cars last month after almost four years here, a figure that we consider to be small, but slowly improving. Skoda New Zealand has sold around 50 cars a month since its launch in 2003 in a market where the Suzuki Swift selling almost 3,000 cars a month places it as first in the sales race. You can certainly forgive Skoda NZ pricing the base Yeti so lowly and the greater issue here is how much Volkswagen New Zealand are ripping off their customers with the Golf 77TSI. Here it's currently around $22k drive away.

Another comparison that is hugely 'relevant' is comparing US car prices to the rest of the world. That I can get a BMW 550i saloon (with a 6-speed manual gearbox instead of the compulsory 8-speed auto here) there for around $80,000 represents a saving of around $100,000 and add that into the stronger Australian dollar means that we are being ripped off. Considering how different our markets are and that a loaded Golf GTI at US$32k is considered expensive adds even more irrelevance.

I think you'd be silly to consider a Yeti 77TSI in the first place. I give the 77TSI a year before it's cut from the lineup because it's such a stupid idea. 77kW... The 103TDI 4x4 is such a better option that it's hard to describe in words! Get a Kia Sportage base model, it'll actually move.

bmarshall
14-08-2011, 09:20 AM
People are saying the Yeti 103TDI will be priced around $40K in Vic, I have read here it will be priced around $36K.
Why is there so much difference?

First drive: Skoda Yeti (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/first-drive-skoda-yeti-20110509-1efij.html)

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=63f3b8d634&view=att&th=131b0f73bd235702&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=402db7cf2d142a58_0.3&zw

Jake02
14-08-2011, 10:25 AM
People are saying the Yeti 103TDI will be priced around $40K in Vic, I have read here it will be priced around $36K.
Why is there so much difference?

First drive: Skoda Yeti (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/first-drive-skoda-yeti-20110509-1efij.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/ui2ik63f3b8d634viewattth131b0f73bd235702-1.jpg

On-road costs being included versus on-road costs not being included?

K1W1
14-08-2011, 02:50 PM
On-road costs being included versus on-road costs not being included?

Sounds right to me. Don't forget manufacturers are now supposed to only advertise on road prices but car magazine testers for some reason still quote without on roads.

BluChris
19-08-2011, 12:25 PM
They report without on roads as for the most part they expect a national readership, and so the on road cost will not be the same for all readers. Not sure why a state based publication would need to do this though...

brad
12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
118TSI Tiguan now $28490 (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/D57CD0250A45708ACA257925007E5D3D)

So explain to me again why you'd buy the equivalent Yeti?

I think this really does prove that VW really isn't serious about Skoda in Australia.

Transporter
12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
That is for the 2WD Tiguan.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk.

RSwag
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
118TSI Tiguan now $28490 (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/D57CD0250A45708ACA257925007E5D3D)

So explain to me again why you'd buy the equivalent Yeti?

I think this really does prove that VW really isn't serious about Skoda in Australia.

I couldn't agree more.

I find myself hopeful that like in Europe VW would let Skoda grow, you know allow it to be its own brand without the fear of having the reins pull back on them. The reality is for Australia that VW are never going to allow the Skoda brand to reach its full potential as it is fearful it will remove sales from there established market.

It means that Skoda is seen in the eyes of Volkswagen as a low volume, VW gap filler. What does this mean? If a client wants a VW but the model they were looking at doesn't quite suit there needs e.g. Passat Wagon doesn't have enough legroom for their 6ft 2" sons then the Superb Wagon will win them over. A niche brand that can cover their overflow when the VW equivalent just doesn't quite fit the clients requirements.

It explains why Matthew Wiesner always gives very uninspiring interviews that leave you feeling he couldn't give a stuff whether they sell 100 a month or 1,000.

That guys got the best job in the world, most CEO's would be "managed out" if after 4 years of selling, what is arguabely one of the best products in the market, but be unable to find strong growth in relation to model for model market share.

I am not saying he is responsible for the low volume as I don't know enough about him or the internals of Skoda to say this, what i am saying is most international companies want to see strong, exponential growth in any new market. An initial burst followed by steady growth. If not the person at the helm tends to get flicked for someone else who can, they just cant afford to sit around and hope for the best. If after 4 years the general population still dont know who you are or identify what it is you have to offer then you are already 4 years behind the 8 ball.

The biggest loses incurred in any business is the initial setup, sales need to be strong to cover the mounting operating costs otherwise you start to go backwards fast.

It appears they are happier with the exact opposite, a business plan that reads like "Lets just hang around and see who can find us and then hope they will buy".

It appears that way only if you believe that VW are not controlling it and this is the outcome they desire.

It's a shame really

brad
12-10-2011, 02:14 PM
That is for the 2WD Tiguan.
Yes. Entry level Tiguan FWD. Equivalent Yeti would be the 77TSI FWD wouldn't it. Cheapest Yeti is $26290 + ORC which makes it $32633 d/away for my postcode:confused: ($6500 in onroad costs - wtf?).

So $2200 extra for an additional 41kw is like buying an expensive factory backed tune :-)

aware
12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Problem with that pricing is that an Octavia (90TSI at that price point) is going to be a better buy IMO. I see no value in a 'soft roader' driven by the front wheels only 9which probably means that I am in a minority). I'd take the Octavia Wagon for less, maybe add an option or 2 if depending on what is available, rather than a Yeti or Tiguan. If I was after 4x4, it'd be a different story, and I'd take the Yeti or Scout. Even if both of the Skodas cost more than the equivalent TDI Tiguan, I'd wait that bit longer to be able to afford the Yeti or Scout.

That's me, particularly as I don't like the Tiguan.

VWSceptic
12-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I am a bit confused.

The Skoda website prices the Yeti 103TDI manual at $43,104 driveway in my postcode. On carsales a new 2011 model Tiguan 103TDI DSG (with comfort pack, front fog lights, off-road tech - whatever that is) can be got for $41,690 drive away!!

Is Skoda the new premium brand between Audi and VW?

Transporter
12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I am a bit confused.

The Skoda website prices the Yeti 103TDI manual at $43,104 driveway in my postcode. On carsales a new 2011 model Tiguan 103TDI DSG (with comfort pack, front fog lights, off-road tech - whatever that is) can be got for $41,690 drive away!!

What are the standard features in both? Doesn't the Yeti have the satnav as standard and isn't it $3,500 option in the Tiguan?

VWSceptic
13-10-2011, 10:13 AM
What are the standard features in both? Doesn't the Yeti have the satnav as standard and isn't it $3,500 option in the Tiguan?

I am not sure on all features, Transporter.

According to the latest brochure I downloaded from the Skoda website, the sat nav is an option along with the normal long VW list. I thought the sat nav in Tiguan was the ridiculous price of $3,000 rather the the more ridiculous price of $3,500. But I do not want a sat nav at that price I can still read a map or if I want I can buy a stand alone for a few hundred dollars.

VAG newbie
13-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I am a bit confused.

As I've been told several times in the Fabia forum, you can't compare sale price to the RRP. IMO, that is b******t. All buyers will compare the prices.

Skodas have known to be too optimistic with their initial launch price. (Think $30,000 Roomster, $35000 Octavia, and $50,000 Superb without leather and GPS!). They killed roomster, have realize how crazy the price was with Octy and Superb, they have subsequently added more equipment and dropped the price in both Octy and Superb, which made them good value now (and price is still very negotiable!)

So anyone who rushes and buys Fabia or Yeti now will have to pay a price premium as early adoptor, like any technologies (I paid $9000 for a plasma TV back in 2004! It's not even full HD! Also $1500 for a DVD player that just plays DVD!). You will be unique though! In 12 months time, the price will drop, and we will see upgrades in equipments too. I predict 103TDI will be $38990 with GPS and leather and electric seat standard. The 77TSI will score climate control, Bolero and 6CD stacker, rear parking sensors. Fabia will be $16990 with climate control, Swing radio and alloy wheel (with full-size spare on alloy) standard. Let's stay tuned for MY13!

VWSceptic
13-10-2011, 10:27 AM
As I've been told several times in the Fabia forum, you can't compare sale price to the RRP. IMO, that is b******t. All buyers will compare the prices.

Skodas have known to be too optimistic with their initial launch price. (Think $30,000 Roomster, $35000 Octavia, and $50,000 Superb without leather and GPS!). They killed roomster, have realize how crazy the price was with Octy and Superb, they have subsequently added more equipment and dropped the price in both Octy and Superb, which made them good value now (and price is still very negotiable!)

So anyone who rushes and buys Fabia or Yeti now will have to pay a price premium as early adoptor, like any technologies (I paid $9000 for a plasma TV back in 2004! It's not even full HD! Also $1500 for a DVD player that just plays DVD!). You will be unique though! In 12 months time, the price will drop, and we will see upgrades in equipments too. I predict 103TDI will be $38990 with GPS and leather and electric seat standard. The 77TSI will score climate control, Bolero and 6CD stacker, rear parking sensors. Fabia will be $16990 with climate control, Swing radio and alloy wheel (with full-size spare on alloy) standard. Let's stay tuned for MY13!

I think you are right VAG Newbie. I was waiting for the Yeti to come out and will test drive it but think it is better to wait a bit longer. I am a procrastinator anyway so waiting fits. I test drove the Tiguan and was impressed by how it handled. I thought the yeti would be more practical and cheaper for me. Maybe it will be, eventually.

Of course I was just quoting advertised, i.e. starting, prices. But it is indicative.

RSwag
13-10-2011, 06:47 PM
VAG Newbie, I KNOW your right however by the time they adjust the damage is already done, not to mention the ill will they will create with those who were loyal to the launch only to be burnt when they adjust prices and specs.

woofy
13-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Early adopters always run the risk of paying a price for being first. Most realise that and who is going to care about the ones who don't. Skoda don't, I don't, if they aren't smart enough to figure it out, then they are in trouble cause there are worse things in life.

VAG newbie
13-10-2011, 08:59 PM
VAG Newbie, I KNOW your right however by the time they adjust the damage is already done, not to mention the ill will they will create with those who were loyal to the launch only to be burnt when they adjust prices and specs.

Yeah, it's really sad. I really feel sorry for whoever bought the MY09 Superb Elegance. It also hurt the resale! A 2009 Superb Elegance with 25000km worth only $25000. That is sad.

But then whoever bought it at the time must have thought it was worth it! I was looking at the Elegance at the time, but I needed leather, GPS and front parking sensors. When I add them all up, it was almost $60000 driveaway! It was way too expensive and I bought a Honda accord Euro instead......but it didn't stop my interest on the Skoda though. I waited and waited. Now they dropped the price and all those options I wanted are now standard. So I bought one! Of course, if they didn't drop the price and it remained $60000 driveaway, I would bought something else, like a BMW 3 series, Mercedes C -class or a Volvo S60.

So my two cents, get a Tiguan/Golf now if you can't wait. Otherwise just wait and see.

(BTW, I remember reading somewhere those early adopters of Superb were compensated by Skoda Aus somehow. So were they hurt much?)

woofy
14-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I know Mazda gave the first new 6 owners of the current shape compensation after dropping the price, but noted now that you can get the touring wagon for nearly 4k less and also for 32990 driveaway you get full leather and the touring pack on what was the price of the normal classic, people must be spewing. I've seen no offers for people who just bought there.

As an aside, the touring hatch has to be the best value car with the quality to match at the moment, even with the 2.8% finance my workmate is finding it hard to lean to the Skodas he is looking at with when the 118TSI is more $$ with a lot less (excluding the satnav). Mazda are really hitting back to reclaim their market they started.

Jake02
16-10-2011, 08:48 AM
As an aside, the touring hatch has to be the best value car with the quality to match at the moment

Of course it is (standard leather and what not), the 6 is in run-out because the new one is on its way. They did the exact same thing with the last-gen model.

woofy
16-10-2011, 11:27 PM
It's not in runout yet, that's the brand new facelift. The new Sky engine 6 is a fair way off yet, they are just trying to lift sales as the current shape 6 hasn't really ever sold like the first gen did. The 3 is in runout, well that's pretty much over as well.

The final 6 in 2007 wasn't nearly the same as the touring versions, they just had ESP and silver door handles. These have all got about 4-5k extra stuff if in the case of the wagon dropped that much. The end of next year we might see a true runout.