PDA

View Full Version : 1997 6N Polo - Fuel filter direction

igerald
11-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi All,

I would like to change my fuel filter.

Can someone point out the right fuel filer direction (the arrow) in Volkswagen Polo 6N 1997?

Should be in point out to left passenger side (looking from back of the car) or the opposite?

Thank you for the information.

Jmac
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
pm sent ...

igerald
11-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the answer.

I just went down underneath the car but could not identify the fuel line from the gas tank.

I think my question now should be "How do identify the fuel line from the gas tank" because the arrow should be point "away" from "the fuel line from the gas tank" and "point" toward the engine.

Would you please point out how to identify this fuel line from the gas tank?

Jmac
13-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Arrow to the left mate

Umai Naa!!
29-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Had this problem today with my own Polo. I didn't pay attention to which way the old filter came off. As Jmac said, arrow goes from right to left.

For those playing at home, if you flip the right side seat base up, and remove the cover in the floor for fuel pump/sender cradle access, you can trace the lines from there. Black is to the engine, and you can unclip it from the top of the tank, and jiggle it from undernieth to confirm. Blue is the return line from the engine, and white is from the charcoal canister.

jets
30-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Just hyjacking this thread, is the fuel filter the same for the 6N2? I tried changing mine & it looks like I need a special tool to remove the hoses. A mechanic friend in Sydney said ABW makes one out of plastic & his broke the very first time he used it. I checked in Repco & they wanted $21 for something that looked like it should cost $1.50. The Haynes manual says to squeeze the hose to release from the filter. Any comments from mechanics who have removed these appreciated.

Jmac
30-01-2012, 08:14 PM
hi there , have a look at the ends on the pipe at the filter, there is a plastic piece you can shove in , on the 6N2 it will more than likely have lots of grot so it might appear tight and scare you a little, no special tools reqd, you may have to clean the push in part mate, scrape out the scum around it with a pointed podger and then push in and pull pipe back at same time. Hope that helps, hard to explain online mate

Cheers
Jmac

jets
31-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for your quick reply. I will do as you say when it's on the hoist next. The new filter [Bosch] has two clips included, so I know what the ones in the hoses should look like.Are you saying these are pushed in to release the latches over the bead on the end tubes of the filter? Car has been running good since my bad fuel hiccup, so the urgency on replacing the filter has diminished.