PDA

View Full Version : Passat B7 or Superb

VAG newbie
10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Looking for ordering a new car, as my lease will end in next Jan, gotta start ordering now.

Considering both the Superb and Passat. Essentially the same car with different shell. Well, if looking at brand name and resale value, VW seem better choice. But value for money, definitely the Skoda.

However, after opting the Passat to similar equipment level as the Superb elegance plus more (GPS + RV camera + park assist 2, visibility and driver assist pack, walnut insert) it turn out to be Passat is only $90 more than the superb.

I personally really like the Superb, but the Passat deal is just too great to resist. What would you do if you are in my situation?

ncramo
10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Superb for me. Its wider so more comfortable for rear occupants (can fit 3 kids carseats in the back of the Superb but not the passat). Heaps more rear legroom in the Superb. Yes the resale factor maybe a big issue especially on the leasing side. Also not sure if this is the case with the other VW guys but VW here in canberra (Lennock) have about a 4-6 week waiting period to book your car in for repairs/servicing. Skoda service was avail same week. As far as on the road i found it hard to compare as both very similar. Hope that helps.

Jake02
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
However, after opting the Passat to similar equipment level as the Superb elegance plus more (GPS + RV camera + park assist 2, visibility and driver assist pack, walnut insert) it turns out to be Passat is only $90 more than the Superb.

Really? I can only assume you're comparing the Passat 118TSI vs Superb Elegance 118TSI. I guess that's both a positive and negative for both cars. The Superb is available with greater spec differences (and even more are on the way too) whereas the 118TSI Passat is the base model. Goes both ways though and you can easily say the Superb lineup is too complicated (which I personally believe). I'm gonna say Superb because it actually has character, it comes with everything as standard and I'm pretty sure you can't get heated rear seats in a Passat :P. I find it weird they look so similar though... And it annoys me that the Passat interior is almost identical to the last model.

VAG newbie
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Both 125TDI. I know, I got surprised myself. Was about to put in an order for the Superb. I would've thought that Skoda is easier to haggle, but apparently not!

Yes, no rear heated seat with Passat, but you get lane departure warning, LED lights front and rear (as part of the package), 6 CD even with GPS, MDI, full size alloy spare, park assist 2 that is one generation advanced, and the bluemotion start/stop technology, and factory fitted RV camera that tells you the direction you are going, and the VW badge for $90 more! (it's ninety, I haven't missed a 0)

But Passat looks like Aurion or the Camry that was 2 generation old.

Jake02
10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
That must be a great deal because, according to carsales, a Passat 125TDI Highline hits parody with a Superb Elegance 125TDI sedan ($52,590 on road in NSW) in terms of price with the Dynaudio pack, walnut trim and electric driver's seat (std on the Superb Elegance). To add sat-nav and xenons (both std again on the Superb) on the Passat you need to add the sat-nav/rear camera, alarm and driver assistance pack which equals $59,100 apparently. As I said, you've done very well!

VAG newbie
11-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Actually I didn't opt for power front seat and dynaudio as I didn't need it. So, take another $3500 price difference off, it makes a bit less attractive now.

Actually I'm leaning more toward Superb again as reverse camera will not be available for MY12. Just gotta get a written guarantee that RVC will be included before I'd make decision. (The superb quote I have includes RVC, but 3rd party utilizing the RNS510 screen)

manyu
11-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Funny you should ask, I was at VW yesterday looking for a small hatch for mum. I sat in the Passat and compared to the superb it felt rather cramped. I told the sales man the same thing and he asked me what do I usually drive, I replied A superb.
"No wonder you are feeling cramped, those things are spacious"
Yes, and also on a 125TDI Superb you get a lot more standard accessories than that of the passat. Instead of jumping to instant conclusions, just take some time and check every single box and then compare.
I wish you luck in your hunt.

K1W1
11-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Are we talking sedans or wagons?
For a sedan I'd go Passat every day I think the Superb sedan looks somewhat unbalanced. For wagons it would be the other way around, the Superb would be my choice.

ope126
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Superb for me. Its wider so more comfortable for rear occupants (can fit 3 kids carseats in the back of the Superb but not the passat). Heaps more rear legroom in the Superb. Yes the resale factor maybe a big issue especially on the leasing side. Also not sure if this is the case with the other VW guys but VW here in canberra (Lennock) have about a 4-6 week waiting period to book your car in for repairs/servicing. Skoda service was avail same week. As far as on the road i found it hard to compare as both very similar. Hope that helps.

Lets face it, both are great cars...

Some info though;
- Width 1817mm (Skoda) / 1820mm (VW) I have no info available on the interior dimensions of the Passat, but one could assume very similar.
- Length 4838mm (Skoda) / 4771mm (VW)
- Luggage Volume (L) 633L or 1865L with seats down (Skoda) / 603L or 1731L with seats down (VW)

I chose the VW, however if I had my time again I would consider the Superb (in wagon form only) as the sedan just does not do it for me!

Once again, both are great cars and either will not dissapoint.

Just keep away from Holden Sportwagons...

VAG newbie
11-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the advice! It's the sedan I'm after cuz my wife already got a Volvo XC60. looks like not many people are voting for Superb Sedan. Well, any superb sedan advocate?

It's quite important that I get all your views. Cuz people on this forum are a lot more knowledgeable than average Joes, and can see beyond the Skoda badge. If even you guys reckon Passat is better in sedan, it will really reflect when it comes to resale, ie, no one will want the superb sedan!

To be a winner in both, maybe I'll go with Passat sedan now, and when my wife's car lease expires, I'll get a Superb Wagon

Jake02
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I still say Superb, simply because it has character. VAG Newbie it sounds like you want the Superb though - most people would totally dismiss it after what you said about pricing. Have you driven them?

VAG newbie
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I drove both of them. Personally, if all other factor disregarded, I love the Superb! Like you said, it has more character. But sensibility ask me to go for Passat! Like you said, most people won't even ask the question, just go straight to the Passat!

Well, there's one more factor that caused me to lean more toward Passat. The VW dealer will give me a 2012 plated Passat in Jan when my current lease ends, cuz their shipment comes in Dec. Whereas Skoda's shipment comes in Oct, so it will be a 2011 plated car. (the shipment needs to come with their bulk orders so I can get the discount). So for $90 more, I get a car that is one year newer as well.

And I like Passat too! It has it's own virtues, and I can easily live with it. Also you get a more "prestigious" feeling when you drive a German car compare to a Czech car.

Tough call. If I let my emotion make the decision, the Superb. But I've made too many emotional decisions before (2 Magnas, a Rover 75), and when it comes to resale, it really bit me. So gotta come to some senses.

BlackSuperb
11-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I vote for a Superb sedan! :?

But then again, I will just hand my car back to my employer and don't have to worry about resale value. Anyway, I stll get a buzz from driving a great car. There are heaps of Passats around so driving a Superb is kinda special.

By the way, when I was looking for a car 18 months ago, I priced the Passat and the new A4 Audi as a comparative guide. Both the others were way more expensive, with the A4 some $10K more. So getting a Superb was a no brainer.

anthony
11-06-2011, 08:35 PM
The new Passat is not the best looking car on the market,but its looks a helleva lot better than the totally out of proportion Superb sedan...

Transporter
11-06-2011, 08:37 PM
The new Passat will probably have more gizmos than the Superb. But, the last model Passat with TDI engine had problems with the injectors and the wiring (costing $$$ to repair if out of warranty) and IMO its reputation for the reliability must have suffered a bit. Of course the new one is a Common Rail, so it could be all smooth sailing from now on. Lets just hope, huh.

As for the reliability I would say that Skoda is already proved to be more reliable than VW in UK and other EU countries. I would go for Superb over the Passat any day. :)

woofy
11-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't mind the Sedan, the twin door is really handy, we are thinking either wagon or sedan in the next 12 mths. Sedan/hatch is useful where you don't want a boot coming out further than the back of the car when you open it, but you have to look up but can fit them in smaller spaces.....things most people don't realise...the wagon opens back more so you can't have the back up against something.

Resale of Skodas is pretty much a myth, I've not seen any evidence that they hold value less than a VW and there are less of them about and a long waiting list half the time. If anything when people have sold them, they got a lot more than they expected.

thejack72
11-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Well, there's one more factor that caused me to lean more toward Passat. The VW dealer will give me a 2012 plated Passat in Jan when my current lease ends, cuz their shipment comes in Dec. Whereas Skoda's shipment comes in Oct, so it will be a 2011 plated car... So for $90 more, I get a car that is one year newer as well.

Did the dealer say 2012 plated or built? HUGE difference when it comes to resale. I know a number of people who bought late 20XX built cars that weren't complianced or registered til following year & every single one of them got screwed when they sold them. The valuer looked straight at the build date, not compliance, and priced it as a year older car.

If resale is a factor, I'd be very wary about build vs plated.

Aside from all that, we looked at both Passat & Superb too. Decision came down to $'s (bang for buck Passat can't touch Superb once you spec it up to same level) & the fact that Superb was nicer to drive.

K1W1
11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, there's one more factor that caused me to lean more toward Passat. The VW dealer will give me a 2012 plated Passat in Jan when my current lease ends, cuz their shipment comes in Dec. Whereas Skoda's shipment comes in Oct, so it will be a 2011 plated car. (the shipment needs to come with their bulk orders so I can get the discount). So for $90 more, I get a car that is one year newer as well.

Somebody is telling porkies.

VAG newbie
12-06-2011, 12:14 AM
It's 2012 plated. Impossible to get 2012 built car in Jan with imported cars. So with Aussie cars, people look at built date, import car, compliance date. Well, at least that was what I was told when I bought a used BMW that was advertised as 2001. The built date was Oct 2000, but compliance Jan 2001. When I sold the car privately, I said the same thing to buyer, no problem. VW purposely keep that shipment late and don't get complied until after new year so they can sell that batch as 2012 cars! It will worth a bit more than 2011 plated car as the latter you can't advertise as 2012 car. Of course, 2012 built is still better than 2012 plated, but gotta wait till at least Mar - Apr.

For novated lease, if resale cannot pay for the agreed residual amount, the emplyee is expected to pay the difference to financier, so it does matter.

It's all a bit of myth now with Superb's resale value. Redbook score it pretty well but glass's guide score it poorly. I think the demand Vs supply says it best. Well, we know the supply is very small, which is good (at least I can bet Superb would have better resale than Falcodorion!) question is demand. That's why I'm asking all you Skoda fans and experts here, rather than posting it under passat section. If I did the latter, I would be hammered by every die hard VW fans there, thinking I was crazy even asking the question.

For those of you who still can't believe the price I got, I got it through a car broker and I was told it was because I work for QLD government and apparently VW gives further corporate discount on top of the fleet discount, but Skoda doesn't. My colleague got his base model Passat 118TSI $38990 drive away, brand new, 2011 built, Immediate delivery! (On top of that, GST free as it was a novated lease, so we are looking at $35000 on road!! Crazy huh!?)

I wish I was telling a lie than I wouldn't have to worry and go straight to Superb.

Jake02
12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
The VW dealer will give me a 2012 plated Passat in Jan when my current lease ends, because their shipment comes in Dec. Whereas Skoda's shipment comes in Oct, so it will be a 2011 plated car (the shipment needs to come with their bulk orders so I can get the discount). So for $90 more, I get a car that is one year newer as well.

They'll both be MY12 right?

Jake02
12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
The VW dealer will give me a 2012 plated Passat in Jan when my current lease ends, because their shipment comes in Dec. Whereas Skoda's shipment comes in Oct, so it will be a 2011 plated car (the shipment needs to come with their bulk orders so I can get the discount). So for $90 more, I get a car that is one year newer as well.

VAG newbie
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Aside from all that, we looked at both Passat & Superb too. Decision came down to $'s (bang for buck Passat can't touch Superb once you spec it up to same level) & the fact that Superb was nicer to drive.

By looking at RRP, yes, Superb definitely better bang for $. But what I got now is only $90 difference, with Passat scoring 1 year newer (or 0.5, as it's plated, not built), lane departure warning, driver fatigue detection system (MY12 you can have both), LED daytime headlights, bixenon headlight, GPS, park assist 2 that does reverse and parallel, walnut trim, XDLS, bluemotion technology with stop/start function, full size alloy spare! Although no power front seats, no heated rear seats, 2 speakers less than skoda (but you get 6 CDs, $780 option with Superb), less room and less style. Ambience is definitely with Superb.

In terms of drivability, I think both very good, although I don't know how the XDLS will improve it with the MY12 Passat.

So in terms of bang for $, unfortunately it is with Passat now.

Oh, yes, I also added $1980 option to Superb (MP + park assist) which narrowed the price difference between the 2.

VAG newbie
12-06-2011, 12:58 AM

Yes, both MY12, as both are factory orders. And I don't need it till Jan next year anyway.

I suppose the price would be the same even if I requested a 2012 built car, but I can't wait for that long as my current lease ends in Jan 2012.

K1W1
12-06-2011, 08:19 AM
no heated rear seats,

When you've been driving like I have for the last week or so and the ice warning has almost permanently been on (ie below 4C) you just buy the car with the heated seats. Other options seem irrelevant. :)

VAG newbie
12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Yes, it's a very handy feature. The other day I had it on and my fellow passenger fell asleep right away!

Transporter
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Though, it's not for every one. If you're young male and want to start family or you still want to have kids, don't use it very often. Here is why (http://ndri.com/news/mans_fertility_may_be_lowered_by_heated_car_seat-453.html). My daughter is 6th year medical student and she agrees. :grin:

woofy
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I dunno, I hurt my back last year and had it up even in warm weather to help free up my back.....Still managed to end up with another daughter first try without much effort....either that or all the Y Sperm were baked....

VAG newbie
12-06-2011, 02:13 PM
That's very interesting. Yes, I think it's true. My mum used to ask me not to sleep with my jeans on because it will be too hot for the testicles. She actually encouraged me to sleep naked!! well, she was right, now she already got 2 grandsons! But I'm not sure if I'm gonna have more. Those 2 monsters are already driving me crazy!!

Back to the subject. I feel like I fell in love with 2 women. One makes me happy whenever I am with her (Superb). But the other has all these virtues that will make a good wife and really takes care of me (the Passat)!

Wish I can just marry one and have an affair with the other (of course I don't do that in my marriage life! Because it wasn't that hard when I proposed to my wife, and she has been and will always be my true love)! I think after I pick one, when I see the other on the road, I'll still take a good look at it as my lost love (I am talking about cars here, not women)

BlackSuperb
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Though, it's not for every one. If you're young male and want to start family or you still want to have kids, don't use it very often. Here is why (http://ndri.com/news/mans_fertility_may_be_lowered_by_heated_car_seat-453.html). My daughter is 6th year medical student and she agrees. :grin:

And to think I went through a painful operation 15 years ago to achieve the same result. :thud:

theduckster
12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Back in February, I looked at a FSI Passat and the salesman said he wouldn't be able to match the price, but come the new model he said that it was most likely that they could do a far better deal. I didn't want to wait the few months to find out so I just ordered my Superb. I knew what I was getting and in my mind I was happy with the decision to order the Superb. Thank god the boat finally docks with it on Friday lol.

If I was in the same situation here I would go with the Passat. To me, it's the safer option lease wise as as you can get a far better idea of what the end value will be. With the Superb the end figure would be under more doubt than with the Passat. But in the end, if the end value isn't too much of a concern then go with your heart and get another Superb on our roads!

If the 125TDI Superb is the Elegance model that you have been quoted upon, then I would query the park assist price as the MY12 model are now getting the front parking sensors as standard, which could lead too park assist becoming a standard feature just like the wagon. Dealers at the moment don't have dealer pricing or the exact specific's of the MY12 model yet either. So I would assume the Skoda dealer is going off spec's and prices on the MY11 model. MY12 models go into production in July for the Superb. If you need to make a decision now then you can only go off the information that you have now. If you can afford to wait a month or two, then the MY12 Superb may just turn out to be the better option. But right now, the Passat looks mighty good!

K1W1
12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
If you're young male and want to start family or you still want to have kids, don't use it very often.

And eating red meat is potentially dangerous
so is crossing the road
or lifting anything
or climbing ladders
or driving cars, that's potentially fatal
and riding a motorcycle is 30 times more dangerous than driving a car
scuba diving is also potentially fatal
operating a chainsaw is exceedingly dangerous
staying in the sun could kill me
using a mobile phone will probably cause me to grow a second head
and I spent years being irradiated by the emissions from CRT computer monitors not to say being in rooms and cars full of smokers in the 196o's, 70's and 80's
but do you want to know what the most dangerous thing of all is?

....reading all the crap on the Internet that tells you how dangerous life is.

Transporter
12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Gee, I didn't know all that, thanks for letting us know. :)

Jake02
12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Gee, I didn't know all that, thanks for letting us know. :)

One reason I enjoy VW Watercooled.

VAG newbie
12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the advice Duckster. The Skoda deal I have is probably not that crash hot. One of the reason is that 70% of the world's supply of diesel engine mother board has been wiped out in the tsunami, (so I was told) so the demand for the Superb TDI is so high that there was no reason for discount. Although I don't understand why it didn't affect the Passat? Maybe VW keeps all the stock of motherboard to themselves, and whatever is left they give to Skoda.

Maybe I'll stick with Passat this time, and in 3 years see what the Superb does in the used car market. Personally I think it will do well, as used car price is usually reflected by how much discount you get with new car. Remember how much Magna was slashing their price? I know Maxima is doing the same now which really hurts resale. So who knows? Superb might do better than Passat as suggested by Redbook.

I can still get a Superb in 3 years. Good thing this is not marriage, you only have to commit yourself for 3 years.

Well, I still have one day to think about it.

woofy
12-06-2011, 08:38 PM
And to think I went through a painful operation 15 years ago to achieve the same result. :thud:

Don't say that, I'm facing that option in the near future, unless we go another round...either way I can't escape it..

theduckster
13-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Based on the prices you have obtained, I couldn't blame you for going for the Passat. Maybe next time, the Superb will be such a good option the Passat won't have a chance. Hopefully your wife will want a Superb wagon, when the times comes to renew her lease.

brad
14-06-2011, 02:11 PM
. But I've made too many emotional decisions before (2 Magnas, a Rover 75), and when it comes to resale, it really bit me. So gotta come to some senses.
I assume the emotion you were feeling when you bought the Magnas was depression? :-)

Real world experience on this forum is that Skodas are holding their value as good/slightly better as VW.

brad
14-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Don't say that, I'm facing that option in the near future, unless we go another round...either way I can't escape it..
Operation doesn't hurt a bit (nothing 2 paracetamol doesn't fix) but the dull ache for several years afterwards isn't fantastic. Happily, most only have to go through it once.

woofy
14-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah I was reading up on after effects, the dull ache was common...as was buildups and explosions...I'd rather not have any.

VAG newbie
14-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I assume the emotion you were feeling when you bought the Magnas was depression? :-)

Real world experience on this forum is that Skodas are holding their value as good/slightly better as VW.

With the Magnas, not only depression, also anger. Why did Camry hold the value better than the Magna? Why do people love Toyota?

Yes, I personally still think that Skoda shouldn't do too bad especially there aren't many discounts with the new car and so little choices on the used market. But the problem is I have to convince my better half, and with my previous experience with Magna and Rover? She doesn't trust my judgement :facepalm: Actually she asked me to give her 10 reasons why I should get a Skoda, which wasn't that hard because Superb is a really good car! Except when both quotes came back and the prices are only $90 apart, my value for money/bang for the buck argument have lost ground.......

brad
14-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah I was reading up on after effects, the dull ache was common...as was buildups and explosions...I'd rather not have any.
I know nothing of the latter - depends on the technique they use I guess.

The ache isn't terrible. Very similar to how it feels 24hrs after you've copped a steel capped boot in the nuts. You know it could feel better but you definately know it could be worse. Mine lasted a few years, which I'm told is unusual. I have a theory about why but we are venturing into overshare territory :-)

VAG newbie
28-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Ahhh~~~ :mad::mad::mad: Got stuffed by VW dealer!!

They guranteed me that I will have a RVC on delivery (after checking with factory in Germany, so I was told) with the Passat, I signed the contract (with "must have RVC" on it) and put in the deposit. Got the finance and was all happy waiting for the brand new Passat to come!

Then it occured to me, they haven't deduct the deposit from my credit card yet. So called the dealer back. The sales manager I dealt with have left that dealership, and the new manager told me that the order was never put in and "you are pretty much guranteed that you won't have RVC!"

Well, he was happy for the order not to proceed. So I will be joining you all on the Skoda band wagon!:banana:

woofy
28-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I think you missed the right thread Kiwi......from the sounds of it Brads convo and VAG newbie both equated to a kick in the nuts though.....

theduckster
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
That absolutely sucks to hear that Sales Manager was happy to take through the deal process and then at the last hurdle just decide not to submit your order for you.

Great news that you are getting a Skoda now though!!!!!