PDA

View Full Version : mk3 8v 2lt turbo kit on a high compression 1.8 8v??

WABIT
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
mk3 8v 2lt turbo kit on a high compression 1.8 8v k-jet??

will it work???

wabit

ausgolfer
10-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes the kit will run on your K-jet but it won't last long or work well.
Firstly K-jets don't like turbo's but there are ways around that, ie. audi turbo K-jet systems which are rare but can be adapter to your motor. Also lots of other general stuff you can do like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator(which are rare for "high pressure" K-jet systems).
Secondly unless your motor has been recently rebuilt and you plan on running low boost I wouldn't count on your motor being reliable. That said I've heard of people turboing 2L 8v's and rebuilding them with used rod bolts and getting over 500hp.
:twisted:

WABIT
10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes the kit will run on your K-jet but it won't last long or work well.
Firstly K-jets don't like turbo's but there are ways around that, ie. audi turbo K-jet systems which are rare but can be adapter to your motor. Also lots of other general stuff you can do like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator(which are rare for "high pressure" K-jet systems).
Secondly unless your motor has been recently rebuilt and you plan on running low boost I wouldn't count on your motor being reliable. That said I've heard of people turboing 2L 8v's and rebuilding them with used rod bolts and getting over 500hp.
:twisted:

hey dude what are ya doin 2night?? wanna come to my house for abit

wabit

ausgolfer
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Sorry mate am just about to go out shopping. We should try and organise another cruise, I hope other people show up this time :wink: . If I had've known this arvo I could have as I was working in Broadmeadows today.

WABIT
10-02-2006, 06:33 PM
ahh k no worries.. i wanna go on a cruise but me has no licence :cry: i need to jump in with someone elce.... unless we have 1 in april 26th???

wabit

gotrice
14-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey WABIT, do you have said turbo kit?

WABIT
14-02-2006, 04:47 PM
sorry mate whats did you mean?

wabit

gotrice
16-02-2006, 02:48 PM
What I mean is do you have in your hot little hands a 2L turbo kit? Coz if you do I want one too and where did you get it and how much and when and I have run out of questions. I am going to put a turbo on my 2L 8v and any info that is around is good, coz I dont want to shell for a kit from the USA and I dont want to wait for Brian to get in some high mount MK1 manifolds. You picken up what I'm putten down?

WABIT
16-02-2006, 04:09 PM
im looking at 1 in the U.S
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-STAGE-1-AND-2-TURBO-KIT-GOLF-JETTA-2-0L-8V_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ80291246 74QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

wabit

Valver.
16-02-2006, 06:41 PM
im looking at 1 in the U.S
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-STAGE-1-AND-2-TURBO-KIT-GOLF-JETTA-2-0L-8V_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ80291246 74QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

wabit

That's for a crossflow ABA, yank-spec motor. Yours would be a counterflow head and the inlet charge gets baked by the turbo :wink:

WABIT
16-02-2006, 08:11 PM
i gotta u.s spec engine mate

wabit

Valver.
17-02-2006, 06:27 AM
i gotta u.s spec engine mate

wabit

ABA is crossflow (inlet ports on radiator side, exhaust ports on firewall side, ala 16v) and 2.0.... and tall block, long rod, Digi 3 etc etc

US spec 1.8s are still counterflow and totally different to an ABA, which came in US Mk3s... I also assume you're running K-jet?

Here's an ABA swapped into a Mk1 for reference:

http://www.hostdub.com/albums/gotboostt/erics_rabbit_004.sized.jpg

Golfwise
17-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Good advice valver
Your mind is an encyclopedia :shock:

WABIT
17-02-2006, 05:34 PM
GEEE... ill shuttup now :shock:

yer i have a k-jet

wabit

Valver.
17-02-2006, 06:56 PM

yer i have a k-jet

wabit

Sorry, bit of an onslaught, but didn't want you to buy something that didn't fit :!: I've been there and done that :lol:

roccodingo
17-02-2006, 08:06 PM

yer i have a k-jet

wabit

Sorry, bit of an onslaught, but didn't want you to buy something that didn't fit :!: I've been there and done that :lol:

Ya would'nt be on yer own there valver, one of the problems with buying stuff from the other side of the planet.. :wink:

WABIT
17-02-2006, 08:46 PM

yer i have a k-jet

wabit

nah dude... i was just blown away as to how detailed u told me about the k-jet motor lol i was impressed

wabit

golf3
08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
It is possible to after market turbo charge...

There are some exhaust manifolds out there for a T3/4 turbo that can be used on a counterflow head. I would suggest putting a heat shield between your intake manifold and the turbo of course.

As far as the K-Jet (restrictive piece of ****) goes, you can swap from that flap and temp sensor AFM to a MAF device, retaining the temp sensor of course.

THis will work on your standard ECU, as you have a Air Fuel Ratio Controller between the output of the MAF and the ECU. This modify's the output signal so your computer can understand it. This is tuned via a "street tune" while refering to the Air Fuel Meter that runs off your 02 sensor.

Of course, on a standard motor, you MUST run low boost. And the need for fuel related devices will be determined on how much positive pressure you intend to run. If it can't handle forced induction, then the obvious fuel pressure regulator, injectors, and fuel pump would be up for replacing.

From here on out it gets expensive...Planning is the cheap part:)

Otherwise, a full 1.8T swap out of a MkIV is probably the best bet. It gives you 20v and a great base to modify!!!

I think that might be my path, if i choose to go turbo!