PDA

View Full Version : Amarok Wheels and Tyres

winterwhite
03-06-2011, 03:46 PM
18" all terrains with a some what decent and aggresive grip - do they exist in 255/60R18 that meet the Amarok speed and load ratings 112T. I have found some Continental/General Tyres on the market (Grabbers at2) but they are about a three month wait. Any suggestions would be great.

STIDUB
29-08-2011, 03:20 PM
whats with vw hopping all over the place on PCD's????????
5x120, nothing else is load rated enough for a 16" steel wheel.
vz 1ton commodore is the closest but it comes in at 100-150kg lesser rating, possible yes, legal no.
surely offroading that route would be more appealing though instead of ruining nice 18" alloys?
after driving one all weekend im throrughly impressed but i want wheels/tyres that are more... offroad friendly
when a solution is found for useful wheels/tyres that are in the 16x8 to 16x10 range ill be listening, for the life of me though there is no legal way to do it at the time of me typing.

njg02
29-08-2011, 06:32 PM
STIDUB. Land/Rangerover, BMW are all 5x120. Not sure of load rating. There are a few Landrover in 16x8 around.

STIDUB
29-08-2011, 08:43 PM
land/range is 120.7 technically, if you care about the minute differences between legal and not
whats the centerbore like? hub rings would have to be mint to stop the wheels feeling oh so slightly 0val not rOund, yes its only 1mm but will the bolts seat correctly...
ignoring the fact that your not towing 2.8T & 800kg load whild going along a 4x4 track the commo wheels should be adequate... 840kg rating instead of the 1060 that the tig has...
personally ill take properly seated bolts & centerbore that only needs a .4mm ring over sorta kinda sitting properly, assuming your just going for a drive down a track with 1-3 mates on board without a caravan/giant boat.
the pics from overseas on 20-24" wheels with low profiles would be interesting from a legal point too, the load rating on the factory wheels/tyres is crazy high, certainly wouldnt be done on tempe specials lol

4wheels
29-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for from your post, but if it's a 16" steel, isn't that the wheel on the base Amarok's. Or else the T5's had those as well in a 5 x 120. Only 6" wide, but some off-roaders reckon tall/narrow profiles work better any-way.

Brian R.

STIDUB
30-08-2011, 10:11 PM
yeah the stock steelies are 16x6.5 great if you want to run rubber like troopcarriers use but if your more inclined to go balloon tyres your not given many options & thats what i was exploring. after talking to a few hilux owners from work though they seem to be more keen on street rubber for sand since it doesnt dig into it, just sits on top. i see the point but not sure what would reach its limit first, not too keen to try it straight up either.
more research to be had, and hey, they arent going to stop building them anytime soon & my tig is just fine for now!

sclarke7171
10-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Ohhh this could be fun, i'm going to take my alloys off the Defender and put them on my amarok, mmmm the 35" simex might look tough...

rob64981
13-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Can you not get some standard steel rims banded/widened?

Here is a link to give you some idea, Obviously you dont want to go this wide but gives you the idea...

VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116009)

Rob

Piddler
05-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Illegal in all states of Australia

brookes2622
15-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm running the std Aldo 17" with 275/70R17 BFG M/T on a second set of rims with the STD 19" still sporting the OEM tyres. I will be putting Coopers LTZ's on when they wear out as they are a A/T and should be good for my driveway and the trip to Fraser next year. I have a a lift at the front end of 25mm and have been running round the bush quite happily, BUT I don't do Hard or Extreme 4x4. If you want to do that with an Amarok then I suggest you bring your wallet and make sure it's full.

Foxpuppet
30-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Illegal in all states of Australia
what is?

Tornado_ALIVE
06-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I am looking at the following alloy rims

16” x 7"
PCD: 5 x 120
Offset: +45mm

I am keen to put on 265/75/R16s

Has anyone tried rims / tyres around this offset and width. Keen to ensure there is no scrubbing at full up travel and stearing lock. FYI, no lift yet.

dubstyle
25-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I've got a mate that has just put Kelly Safari TSR 265/75/16 on his Amarok. With 16x 7in Allied Wasp wheels.

They dont rub but he's got a tray on the back that is pretty high and he has put king springs in the front which has lifted it

Fingermark
19-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi guys,

Just about to finalise order on Highline hoping to be ready next week and looking at some AT tyres to fit the existing 7.5" Durban rims it comes with.

Have narrowed it down to two tyres,

BGF AT KO in a 265/65/18 for diameter of 801mm or
Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18 for diameter of 799mm.

Anyone see any issues with fitting the 285mm wide Nitto to the 7.5" durban rim?
Is it likely to bulge out too much on the rim or stick out past the guards bearing in mind the Scorpion Verde it comes fitted from VW with is a 255/60/18 so I guess it should stick out a further (30mm/2) 15mm than the factory tyre?

I have read good reports on the Nitto but wondering If I should just go with the proven BFG for an extra $85 per tyre?

After reading all posts in here I'm comfortable that neither should touch or rub anywhere.

Cheers

Foxpuppet
03-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Alloy Wheel Search Results For: 2010 Volkswagen Amorak. 18 Opt (http://www.performancealloys.com/alloy-search-results.aspx?ModelID=8789&PCDID=18)

Sent by courier pigeon

thjakits
27-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi all,

...285 will most likely rub on the upper suspension arm - 265 JUST about clears it ....at R18-265/65 (/70 might already be too much) on the original R18 rims....

I have a curious problem:

It seems I cannot get the tire/rim combination (OEM-18 wheels) balanced....

OEM-R18 rims - BF-Goodrich AT R18-265/65 tires

So far I went to 4 different shops:

Changed the tires and did a complete alignment job (was within spec to start with...). Furthermore the tech and the tire-shop agreed to play:
WE checked each rim only for unbalance and noted the result on the rim. After the first run with the tire on, we would move the tire to cancel the imbalance of the rim and reduce the needed amount of balance weights - this seemed to work fine.
Then we ran into trouble with properly balancing the wheels! No matter which program the tech used, the amounts of weight were going way out of hand! Finally we resolved to use the simplest method.
By chance after balancing one wheel to 0.00, we took it off the machine, put it back on the balancer and ...got an out of balance reading again!! NOW this is where I got sceptical!
I was sure the machine was defective....
A simple thing like a wheel, without any moving parts should be rather simple to balance!
[In my job I frequently have to track & balance helicopter rotor systems - talk about a little more complex systems!]

Maybe I complety miss something here.....http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/05/confusedpng-1.jpg

After this I went to 2 more shops with supposedly new balancers (all the same brand ... COATS), but the story is/was the same! - Remove old weights, balance to 0.00, same whobble starting at 100km/h. Removed tires to see if something was inside - nothing...

Just came back from the 4th shop now, with the newest and most sofisticated mschine I ever saw - a COATS (like the others but really the top model) - the tech couldn't believe it either - 0.00, take the wheel off and put it back on and we get a imbalance again!! (...and not small 0.something numbers, but from 1.50-2.00). Just did the front wheels to see the results - both wheels run beautifully round, no whobble side/side, no jump on the tire.... - on the Rok and now I get the whobble in the steering at 85km/h!!

I am out of ideas - and this whole thing is spooky to me!!
Unless there is something about these balance machines I don't know....

I installed a OME front (HD for bumper and winch) and a HD rear with one leaf removed.
With this setup I ran the original tires for some 10000km (looked ugly, but I was not about to throw away the OE-tires because of looks....)
The OE-tires/wheels ran perfect with the lift kit.

So - the questions are:

1. WTF is going on with my wheels?http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/05/confusedpng-1.jpg

2. Is there anything about tire balancers I don't know?
[In my world - IF a wheel is balanced to 0.00 - it should not matter if you take it of the balancer and put it back on or on a different balancer - if it is balanced 0.00 - it is balanced! and is balanced! and is balanced!!! It should indicate 0.00 again and repeatetly, shouldn't it??]

3. What to do next? Alignment is good, tire pressure is good? Change alignment numbers??

Anyone of you guys are a tire/rim/wheel guru??

Love the traction, stance, looks, but whobbling now starting at 85 km/h is NOT what I want to have to live with!!
[VW dealer doesn't comment as it is NOT their tires and NOT the original size]

Cheers all,

thjakitshttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/05/coolgif-1.jpg

84KIN
25-11-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm searching for some wheels and tires for my new Dual cab Auto, has anyone seen any other designs or brands that do an 18x9 +20 (same size as Delta do) but in any other design than Delta? I'd love a US style simple five spoke wheel but damn it's hard to find something that's weight rated enough. Anyone have any ideas?

84KIN
25-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi all,

...285 will most likely rub on the upper suspension arm - 265 JUST about clears it ....at R18-265/65 (/70 might already be too much) on the original R18 rims....

I have a curious problem:

It seems I cannot get the tire/rim combination (OEM-18 wheels) balanced....

[COLOR=#333333]Cheers all,

thjakitshttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/05/coolgif-1.jpg

I've had BMW wheels have vibration and balancing issues but mainly due to the centre bore being bigger and not centring the wheel carefully enough when tightening the wheel nuts / balancer attachment, it sounds like your issue is much more complex but may not hurt to check whether one of the wheel aligners is centring the wheel properly on the balancer, as that would cause a different balance reading straight up i'd imagine.

Sharkie
25-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm running BMW X5 5 spoke 18x8.5 wheels with 255/60/18s load rating acceptable for the Amarok. Simple style yet looks good in black. Have a look at my build thread. And below. Was very careful when I fitted them and no vibration up to licence threatening speeds (on a private track ofcourse)

84KIN
26-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Did you have to fit a hub centric collar when you fitted the BMW rims Sharkie?

Sharkie
26-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Did you have to fit a hub centric collar when you fitted the BMW rims Sharkie?
Yep, the key is to tighten with no or minimal load on the wheel as full weight ever so slightly distorts the shape of the rings. I'm looking for metal rings as it makes it easier, not looking to hard as it's good atm.

84KIN
27-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Yep, the key is to tighten with no or minimal load on the wheel as full weight ever so slightly distorts the shape of the rings. I'm looking for metal rings as it makes it easier, not looking to hard as it's good atm.

Ahh true true, I think this may have been my problem then, I'm getting new tires put on now so i'll track down a set of rings, do a full balance and wheel align, and get him to take car when fitting the wheels also. Cheers for the feedback mate

thjakits
20-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Quick update:

A 2012 Amarok will fit Hankook AT 275/65 -R18.
They clear the upper arm "just" 4-5 mm ...and only because of the specific tire thread width.
They WILL/do rub on the chassis at full lock...

But they are super durable!

Cheers,

thjakits

Tjilpi
29-11-2019, 08:18 AM
Pirelli AT plus come in 255/60R18. I have them on my Rok and have been happy with them. 50,000 kms and still plenty of tread. Did in one tyre on the Canning Stock Route (My own stupid fault, hit a route that was sticking our on the side of the track). Only problem I have had with them.

Iluvamaroks
15-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Black Delta 18" rims wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ rubber 285/60/R18
Came off my 2014 Highline before we traded it in.
Only slightly rubbed only on full lock when reversing.
Cant fault the tyres...looked aggresive and never had a problem with them.

Still have them sitting in my shed !!

Club Racer
27-01-2020, 05:02 PM
Hello,
I have recently picked up a MY19 Ult 580, which came with some aftermarket 20"s. Thinking about dropping the wheel size come tyre change time, anyone know how small a diameter the Ult 580 can take over the calipers? 17/18"
Ta,
Lindsay

winchy
28-01-2020, 09:49 AM
AFAIK the 580's have the same brakes as the 550. A 17" rim will fit.

drstaind
09-02-2020, 03:09 AM

Black Delta 18" rims wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ rubber 285/60/R18
Came off my 2014 Highline before we traded it in.
Only slightly rubbed only on full lock when reversing.
Cant fault the tyres...looked aggresive and never had a problem with them.

Still have them sitting in my shed !!

Would you be interested in selling them? I pick up my new highline next week. Had delta’s with nitto’s on my original rok and they were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I_Am@rok
18-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Hi all,
After much debating I have finally chose to go with some Falken Wildpeak AT/3’s for my 2019 V6 Highline. I have a question for the learned amongst this group however.
The Highline came with Bridgestone Duellers from the factory (255/60R/18).
I am fitting the Falkens at a slightly different size - 265/60R/18.

My question is, is there any kind of speedo calibration required for fitting the new size tyres?

Any advice and/or pointers you can provide will be appreciated

brad
04-03-2021, 08:04 AM
My question is, is there any kind of speedo calibration required for fitting the new size tyres?

Your best bet is to check the speedo against a GPS. I find the speedo on a lot of VW product to have very optimistic speedometers. On my Octavia I could go 20mm bigger and still not need recalibration

Dinogzav
06-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Hi all,
After much debating I have finally chose to go with some Falken Wildpeak AT/3’s for my 2019 V6 Highline. I have a question for the learned amongst this group however.
The Highline came with Bridgestone Duellers from the factory (255/60R/18).
I am fitting the Falkens at a slightly different size - 265/60R/18.

I have run these for 80k km so far and just need replacing now. All factory speedo's read under to avoid liability from manufacturer. With these tyres, I can drive 113km/hr and camera doesn't flash even in averaging areas. GPS is the best test as the speedo difference is exponential. Slower speeds, it's closer, faster and its further out.

ahebron
26-07-2022, 03:33 PM
VW speedos run 10% fast so when it says 100kmh you will be doing 90kmh.
I fitted 10% greater diameter tyres to my 2014 to counter that difference.