PDA

View Full Version : Fbt?

guthrie
27-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know if you leased an Amarok for business purposes, does it avoid the FBT charge?

On the ATO web site the Nissan Navara D40 dual cab is listed as being eligible.. so I assume the Amarok would meet most of the criteria as well?

flyingfridge
28-05-2011, 10:22 AM
our information is that all versions of the Amarok are exempt.

phantomcamel
03-06-2011, 10:42 PM
not with "comfort suspension" - you'll be under 1 ton!

flyingfridge
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
1 tonne is not the law. No Dual Cab Utes on sale in Australia have a 1 tonne payload.

winterwhite
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
My understanding is; there is something to do with the ratio of seating capacity vs carrying capacity!

sh|tbmxrider
05-06-2011, 11:14 PM
1 tonne is not the law. No Dual Cab Utes on sale in Australia have a 1 tonne payload.

This is my understanding of it...

If its a ute, No FBT.

At least that was the opinion of the cheif accountant of a rather large Holden/Honda/Toyota/Mercedes/Heavy Trucks dealer group in Melbourne

flyingfridge
06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
This is my understanding of it...

If its a ute, No FBT.

At least that was the opinion of the cheif accountant of a rather large Holden/Honda/Toyota/Mercedes/Heavy Trucks dealer group in Melbourne

Not quite that simple. The ATO is involved it has to be more convoluted than that.

There is a test to determine wether the car has been designed for carrying passengers or a load primarily and it's all a big pain in the arse really.

plenty of info on how to work it out on the ato website Australian Taxation Office Homepage (http://www.ato.gov.au)

guthrie
08-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I fail to see how the vehicle is exempt from either FBT or LCT?

Dermot, this page

MT 2024 - Fringe benefits tax : dual cab vehicles eligibility for exemption where private use is limited to certain work-related travel (As at 22 October 2008) (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?Docid=MTR/MT2024/NAT/ATO/00001&PiT=99991231235958)

seems to indicate the Amarok would be exempt (as long as you meet the work use criteria).

There are two ways to qualify:

It follows that crew cabs will be capable of qualifying for the work-related use exemption only if either of the following tests are satisfied -

(a) they are designed to carry a load of one tonne or more, or more than eight passengers (sub-section 47(6)); or

(b) while having a designed load capacity of less than one tonne, they are not designed for the principal purpose of carrying passengers (sub-section 8(2)).

An Amarok with HD suspension should qualify under Item (a) as the GVM minus Tare mass > 1 tonne

An Amarok with comfort suspension has a load capacity of 750kg. The mass of the passengers (5 x 68kg = 340kg) is less than the remaining load cap (750 -340 = 410kg). Hence the comfort suspension model should qualify under Item (b)