PDA

View Full Version : Project MK2 16V

static1800
06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
It's probably a little early in the piece to start a thread but im exited!
So i got a KR 16v engine last night, the plan is to run it on DigiII, mainly because i don't want to stuff around with looms and setting up standalone and K-jet is the devils spawn IMO. I've been doing my homework on the swap and have pretty much got my shopping list sorted. It is going to go in stock as it is already going to cost a bit in the first place, more power can come later :)

Things i want to do also include getting the car setup right for the new engine. new mounts, good exhaust setup, upgraded suspension maybe coilovers or some other sort of good kit, front strut brace and front/rear stabilizer bars and maybe bigger brakes i.e. mk3 (not sure on this yet)

Im going for a stock gti sleeper look ( i like to surprise people), so nothing is really being done on exterior except fixing some paint and getting clear indicators. Keeping my current 15's as they suit the mk2 imo. It's going to look tidy and go like hell :D

First thing on my todo list is the clean up the engine and start pricing/buying parts.

Will keep udating this when i have pics or updates :)

DubSteve
06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Fantastic news Matt, I remember you telling me all this at the Nationals.

Congrats with the purchase, can't wait to hear and see all of the work thats going to be happening.

Can't wait to see it that would be fantastic, yeah yeah coilovers WOOT WOOT. Now you can come to all of the Sydney GTG you will be able to get up here alot faster ;)

GoLfMan
06-06-2007, 02:30 PM
niiccee!!! looking forward to this one, sounds like you've got it all planned out mate!

ausgolfer
07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
What happend to the wolf 3D out of your mk1??? Digipants sucks IMO, much rather my old Kjet to digi.

Edit: just read not wanting to stuff around with standalone, but I reckon would be less trouble to set up wolf 3d than getting digi on a KR.

evorobin
07-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I decided against running digi and despite ****e cold start I'm happy it was the best choice $$$ wise!

h100vw
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Now't wrong with K-jet it's just that not many folk know anything about it. Agreed it's not very flexible when you considering additional mods. It does have some capability for supplying extra fuel. The ignition is fixed but could be adjusted with a piggyback system.

Gavin

static1800
08-06-2007, 08:21 AM
The car is already digi, so it is the easiest option by far, all i need is an after market fuel rail to run it, same loom and same sensers so no big stuffing around.

It is also my driver so i want to get in it and go, i always had start issues with the wolf on my mk1 and besides im probably saving the wolf for a future track car i have planned in my head :D

RedMk2Gti
08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Right choice, if it is built from nothing, go k-jet. if it is already digifant, stick with it.

evorobin
08-06-2007, 09:16 AM
In theory it should work ;)

static1800
08-06-2007, 10:02 AM
In theory it should work ;)

In theory and practise it does work, and guys are pushing out some pretty solid figures with it in the US.

evorobin
11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm sure you're right look forward to the dyno readout. New warm up regulator slapped on yesterday and didn't even need to adjust the idle afterwards it drives sweet from cold now :cool:

Is the wolf1 like megasquirt with no cold adjustment?

static1800
11-06-2007, 12:22 PM
The unit i have is an older version, i dont think it does.

Does anyone know if the standard fuel pump will be sufficient?
Also who makes strut bracers and stabilizer bars over here in oz?

evorobin
11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Get hold of Eibach Australia. You'll have a wait to get em shipped but price should be about $500 for sway pair 22mm front 25mm rear. Front strut brace get a nuespeed shipped from the states. Plenty on Ebay!

h100vw
11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
The unit i have is an older version, i dont think it does.

Does anyone know if the standard fuel pump will be sufficient?
Also who makes strut bracers and stabilizer bars over here in oz?

Digifant pump no good with K-Jet but should be OK with digifant injectors on the 16 Valve motor.

Gavin

aussieg60
15-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Good to see another conversion happening soon. :) Throw a few pics of your motor ;)

ausgolfer
17-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Now't wrong with K-jet it's just that not many folk know anything about it. Agreed it's not very flexible when you considering additional mods. It does have some capability for supplying extra fuel. The ignition is fixed but could be adjusted with a piggyback system.

Gavin

I dissagree, K-jet is well up to the task and flexible enough to supply extra fuel with additional mods. Could fit extractors, Port polish, mild cams and K-jet would cope with it fine.
Electronic on the other hand needs to be re programed if you did one or more of the mods above.

Just depends how far you end up wanting to push the motor.

The only reason I'd scrap the K-jet from my motor would be if I went forced induction or if going for extreme N/A power.
It's performed extremely well under all conditions, never had any reliability or cold start issues either.

Oneofthegreats
17-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I'll also say that there's nothing wrong with K-jet & also agree that not many people know much, if anyhting about it.

A standard mk1 1.8L k-jet can handle fueling upto 170-180hp & with a couple of mod's eg. fitting a 240T Volvo fuel distributor & warm up reg. can handle approx 220+hp which is more than enough. I've read articles about some people have used standard k-jet & have made 200+whp with a supercharger.
Fueling isn't really the problem with forced induction, to me it's more the timing side of thing's which can also be easily overcome too with the right combination of aftermarket part's & standard part's too.

The misconception is when someone mod's there engine with an aggressive cam & what not, the engine run's like a bag of s#%t & it's not the k-jet's fault.

The k-jet can't handle big duration, lift & large overlap cam's due to the extreme fluctuaction in air waves coming back through the inlet tract & onto the air flap.

What some people due is find a similar plate(I don't kow off what model's, but it has been done before & the info is out there) which is thicker & heavier & can combat this problem & run smoother, but the idle has to be increased somewhat.

It can be done people.

One of the problem's with k-jet is with forced induction is that it is limited to how much power it can make & it makes the engine bay look like an octopus has taken a dump in there.j:

static1800
17-06-2007, 02:40 PM
the main reason im not sticking with the k-jet is my car is digi so why go backwards? i can use same loom, same sensors etc. The aim of this isn't to produce big numbers, i'm just greedy and want 8 more valves :D

Atleast k-jet can handle boost unlike digi2. If i ever want to go crazy with i can go with standalone and in not using kjet to start with i will leave my self a better base to do that with later.

P.S will get some photos up soon, been busy working and im in the middle of sorting out a DIY rear strut brace :)

ausgolfer
20-06-2007, 08:54 PM
where are these pics?:)

static1800
21-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Will have some in this weekend, have been way to busy with work lately.

evorobin
24-06-2007, 10:34 PM
If i ever want to go crazy

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3265833&page=1

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/product_images/phpIvZOPB.full.jpg

static1800
25-06-2007, 09:18 AM
yeh i've seen that before, very nice :D

static1800
02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Who makes mk2 extractors locally? or is UK my best bet? was thinking of getting the dual downpipe setup, would need to get one from uk anyways so may as well go whole hog on it.

Found a guy selling Jamex coilovers on ebay $700 plus shipping, but will be going halves in the shipping so shouldn't be to steep.

h100vw
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
The std 16V cast manifold isn't that bad. Was reading in a PVW the other day that you would only gain a couple of horses over a cast manifold and big bore downpipe by fitting extractors.

You could get a big bore dp made for very little money locally.

Gavin

static1800
04-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Got my parts list sorted :D

BBM Billet 16V Fuel Rail Kit
BBM Fuel Rail FPR Adapter
Mocal Thermostatic Sandwich Plate
Peloquin Limited Slip Upgrade Kit
4 bar FPR
BBM or TM tuning short shifter, with all new bushings and linkages.

Jamex Coilvers

Crystal red/clear taillights
Crystal clear turn signals
Crystal side turn signals

All but the coilovers will be ordered this week or next week :D
Engine cleaning beginnign this week also, going to paint the valve cover tornado red or black and clean and polish up the intake mani. Camera is busted atm will get pics up soon.

h100vw
04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
The inlet manifolds look pretty good grit blasted back to clean alloy, then polish the 16V dohc bit and paint in the letters.

I did one in powder coat gloss back and sanded off the flat and polished that. I'll did out the picture in a minute.

Gavin

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/07/inletmanifold001-1.jpg

Can't find the black one at the moment

static1800
04-07-2007, 10:45 PM
The inlet manifolds look pretty good grit blasted back to clean alloy, then polish the 16V dohc bit and paint in the letters.
Yeh thats actually what i meant ;) will do the letters in T red too.

evorobin
05-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Without going back over this thread did you get a 50mm inlet?

static1800
05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeh it's a 50mm inlet :)

Water Boy
03-08-2007, 08:09 PM
How is it going... Have all those go-fast bits arrived?

We are hanging out to know :D

James :)

static1800
06-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Work has been slow on this, much slower then i would have liked. Haven't even been able to order my parts yet.

Did a bit of cleaning on the engine over the weekend and put in a homemade rear strut bar.

Before
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/Picture002-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/Picture003-2.jpg

After the date with degreaser and a pressure cleaner.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/Picture007-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/Picture008-2.jpg

The photo's don't look that great, it has come up pretty clean, could just do with some paint here and there.

GoLfMan
07-08-2007, 07:41 AM
thats looking good mate, now paint it up while its outa the car so it looks as good as it goes!