PDA

View Full Version : Premium Unleaded really necessary?

cusack
05-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi guys

This NRMA report (https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/Volkswagen_Golf_1999_car_review.htm?cpssessionid=S ID-3F5768EC-7F05C576) says that the Golf Mk4 GL and GLE's require "Premium fuel grade requirement"
It then further says.....
"The downside is that both engines require a fuel octane rating that in Australia, equates to our Premium grade unleaded petrol"

So is everyone driving these cars really filling up with the HIGH PRICED PREMIUM UNLEADED??

Is it really necesary to use premium unleaded? I was thinking of getting this car but may have to reconsider if I need to fill up with the most expensive fuel all the time

Regards

SoVeReIgN
05-06-2007, 10:42 PM
IIRC they are fine to be run on the standard unleaded 91/93ron but will have a loss in power.
By premium unleaded they mean 95ron which isn't the most expensive, 98 ron is.

BL33SU
05-06-2007, 11:06 PM
i used to use 95 always.. didnt really think it would make much difference..

but now i know it does, after being told it lol.. 98 feels better and get more k's:cool:

gpk_gti
05-06-2007, 11:16 PM
well,heres a good one for you guys,,,my cousins mate,who is a multi-multi millionaire changes his cars like he does his underpants,maybe 3 or 4 times a year.he just bought the new SL merc 500 ?? and he NEVER puts premuim in any of his cars,bentley , rolls, mercs or porsches...doesnt care,,,, I say bloody idiot,,,

99gti
06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
If it works for you I say wear it. Try it for yourself! Set the odometer when you refill and do the math. You may get a few extra k's out of PULP but does the difference add up with your driving style? Only you can be the judge of that.

Does the extra power add up for you? Again, only you can be the judge of that.

Is one better than the other? Clearly yes - that's why you pay more for it. The only problem is that your driving style most likely doesn't equate to the same equation VW uses for their own stats.

cusack
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
ok thanks.
As long as I know that regular unleaded wont screw up the engine, thats fine by me. :)

mikinoz
13-06-2007, 09:42 PM
ok thanks.
As long as I know that regular unleaded wont screw up the engine, thats fine by me. :)

All things being fair, there are variants of the cars that we buy here that run on worse quality fuel in the USA, so I am sure that they can cope.

Lower RON fuel however 'may' lead to dirtier oil sooner and potentially greater wear on fuel delivery components.

I used minimum of 95RON in a 1.6, so I am unsure of what 91 is going to be like.

ope126
13-06-2007, 09:46 PM
98ron shell V-Power all the way...:D