PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDI Boost gauge install?

mikinoz
05-06-2007, 07:52 AM
I am thinking about installing a boost guage in the MKV, waiting for an appropriate pod design. j:

Question is, which guage. Diesels don pull vacuum so I am thinking a 0 - 60 psi guage? Is this correct? :?

How many PSI boost do they run?

Transporter
06-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I am thinking about installing a boost guage in the MKV, waiting for an appropriate pod design. j:

Question is, which guage. Diesels don pull vacuum so I am thinking a 0 - 60 psi guage? Is this correct? :?

Did you look at the scan gauge2. It plugs in the OBD socket and can display 12 parameters - four at the time.

mikinoz
07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Tell me more? :D

Transporter
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM

You can find a lots of websites with the think you need if you search for what you want in Google.com
here is example:
http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-21.html

mikinoz
07-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I am tending to lean toward a manual guage, due to some nice integrated looks that people are coming up with, and also so I get cred with the ricers...

But those 2 are awesome, however, I cannot see how I can install them neatly... :confused:

Transporter
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I am tending to lean toward a manual guage, due to some nice integrated looks that people are coming up with, and also so I get cred with the ricers...

But those 2 are awesome, however, I cannot see how I can install them neatly... :confused:

The most of these plug into OBD plug and install faster than the manual gauges and there is less chance that it would interfere with some sensor if you would just use T piece or something like that.
If I'd use manual guage it would be for exhaust gas temperature.

Gigitt
20-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Scangauge is an OBD device

It has 2 really big drawbacks
1) It biggest problems is that it does have a lag in displaying what is actually happening.
2) the Display is small and there are 4 items shown at once.

A Guage is there to display a value - you may not know what the value is when crazy driving, but the position of the needle will, and allow you to keep your eye on the road rather than trying to read a value on a screen!

It is probably better suited for Temp and fuel consumption etc... these are slow changing values and easier to istall then a water and oil temp guage :)

For a TDI you only need + boost
Get a 0-30psi guage You will never go past 30!

I have a Autometer C2 0-30psi electonic guage.
due to it having a remote electonic sender the guage itself will mount in a very short space (like 5-6cm :) )

I have hit 25psi with spikes... now I am limited 21 psi with a boostvalve.com ( I know it is high and I should tune it back to 18psi)

GoLfMan
20-06-2007, 09:02 AM
that boost isnt that high for a diesel so i've been told!!!!
it must pull pretty hard :D

mikinoz
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
So after some weeks of planning and a whole lot of indecision, I have now got an answer to this threads question.

The answer is this;

http://gallery.mac.com/mikinoz/100074/IMG_0610.jpg

http://gallery.mac.com/mikinoz/100074/IMG_0613/web.jpg

Pod: OSIR Mono
Gauge: Stuart Warner 0-30psi with Perfect Match LED backlight.

Installation time: +/- 3 Hours with breaks.

Degree of difficulty: 6 or 7 out of 10 (it is scary though with electrics)

Result: I think it is as OEM as I have ever seen.

mikinoz
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
So after some weeks of planning and a whole lot of indecision, I have now got an answer to this threads question.

The answer is this;

http://gallery.mac.com/mikinoz/100074/IMG_0610/web.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Pod: OSIR Mono
Gauge: Stuart Warner 0-30psi with Perfect Match LED backlight.

Installation time: +/- 3 Hours with breaks.

Degree of difficulty: 6 or 7 out of 10 (it is scary though with electrics)

Result: I think it is as OEM as I have ever seen.

Transporter
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Nicely done. Location of it is good too. I think it was the hardest decision for you - where to fit that gauge?

mikinoz
29-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Bump so that people can talk about gauges in here.

Buckets
29-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Good idea Mick. And if anyone wants some pics or advice they can contact either of us, cause we've already "played the game" so to speak.

dimsim
30-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi there folks. I like the idea of this boost gauge install however I am having trouble locating the osir opod. Is it available in oz or did you import it ?. The "where to buy" link seems to have expired on their site. Also , have you had any problems with it. Thanks in advance.

mikinoz
31-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Try rennenhaus.com.au - but email Ian as it is not on his site.

Buller_Scott
31-10-2009, 04:48 PM
is the scangauge really that bad when it comes to lag?

i think i read somewhere that their new scangauge pro (?)has a function where you enter your daily drive altitude, which the scangauge then compensates for in terms of pressure, and displays manifold pressure better than the previous scangauge 2?

even if the boost readings are slightly delayed, wouldnt scangauge still provide enough info to let you know if you've got boost creep/ too-high boost spikes?

gldgti
01-11-2009, 09:19 AM
lag in the guage - seriously!

i have 3 guages in my mk3 - boost, EGT and oil pressure, all steppermotor type and all are fast to react.

i think having altitude compensation is totally pointless too - i'll tell you why - on a low pressure day, at 1000m, if you switch on the ignition but not start the engine i see the boost guage reads a little into the vaccum side, about equivalent to 1.5psi. i think maybe on other continents where they have real mountains, it might be worth considering, but here in fair, sunny and flat oz, i dont think so :-)

1.5 psi is not enough variance to make any difference, considering that your diesel will hit 30psi on occasion and mostly max out around 18-20.

add to that the fact that driving along is not usually a good time to be taking constant, accurate data from your boostguage - i've been living with mine for over 12 months now and honestly its just there in the corner of my eye. i dont use it to drive by or anything, more as a diagnostic tool - like a glance at EGT and boost at the top of a long hill, or if i notice a bit of smoke out the back, etc.

anyway, i have found that the racetech guages i am using seem to be very good. they are very, very good value. 3 guages with sensors cost me $260 posted to my door from an ebay seller.

Buller_Scott
01-11-2009, 04:47 PM
thanks for the feedback gld.

i guess my flaw is that i want my cake, and to eat it, too. if i could find a real-time boost gauge that plugs into the obd port, im sold.

dimsim
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I brought the scangauge and couldn't be happier. The s/g was set to fast response and there is no lag. Boost peaks at 23psi at 1800rpm, then tapers to 18 by 3000. I also display inlet temp.water temp.and volts. Inlet temp will be at ambiant or a deg. lower, turn the air con on and it goes up 7-10 deg at freeway speeds. My water temp has hit 105 deg after a flogging but the gauge in the dash stayed on 90. There is a oil temp/ low level sender in the sump.and am working with linear logic to bring this online

niss_man
02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Looks like that gauge fits where a highly usefull air vent used to once be. The vent being replaced by non adjustable air holes? Is this correct?

mikinoz
03-01-2010, 08:19 AM
That's correct. If you run the smaller gauge you get more airflow around it and then the air from the perforations.

We don't find it a problem, the aircon is pretty capable with remaining vents.

vk
21-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Hey guys, I realise this is a 6 year old bump, but I am curious to see the pictures as to where to tap into with a manual boost gauge? Does anyone know the answer to this? all articles seem to be too old to show pictures.