PDA

View Full Version : Any Better Than a Colorado ?

gator3535
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I am looking at these and am wondering if they are really any better than the standard utes on the market here in Oz?

Matt05x
07-05-2011, 08:20 PM
No comparison Gator, you only have to stick your head in the cabin of the Colorado (which looks like it's made out of recycled oil bottles) to see that they are in different leagues. But don't take my word for it, go test drive a Colorado & then an Uber ute. You will be impressed.

gavs
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Oh mate, don't ever buy a Colorado unless you accept cracked steel, flimsy construction and an all
Round average product. If you even considering the amarok, Colorado is a different market segment, Colorado is also almost half the size and the tub is tiny, if it holds together....

Jake02
09-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Come on, really!? The Colorado is a car that is about to be replaced (it's ollddddd! Especially being an old Rodeo underneath) and yet the Amarok is brand spankers, off a new platform with new engines and the like. After seeing the Amarok lined up against the rest of the utes last weekend at the Caravan, Camping and RV Show at Rosehill in Sydney, I can safely say the Amarok has a much stronger sense of quality. Plus, it drives a lot better than the rest of the utes. Defs look at one! :)

FLAUNTT
09-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Ive used to have a 4x4 cab chassis Holden Rodeo RA 2005 3.0ltr turbo diesel ute which basically is at the same spec as the current Colorado. Wasnt to bad overall did 175,000km in three years and it didnt miss a beat. I replaced that with a 2008 Hilux 4x4 3.0ltr Turbo diesel, which does feel a little soft and build quality is about the same as the colorado. I have placed an order for a Amarok to replace the Hilux.

I had a Amarok for the weekend and did 750kms in it, and it is miles ahead of Colorado. In overall size (Inside and out), Power of the 2litre engine is better, and the Amarok can be driven like a car due to its great road holding.

kil0watt
11-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Amarok is nice, however the Colorado is a solid ute, anyone who says different is probly another one of those "my ute's better than yours because it's newer and flashier or has this or that badge on it".........don't become one of those fools. The Colorado is made mostly from Isuzu parts, albeit put together by holden but the engine and other important parts are Isuzu and that's what matters. Now it may not be as refined or as car like but it is what it is, a well priced commerical ute with arguably the toughest drive train going around. I really like the Amarok and think it looks great however please don't bad mouth the Colorado until you get some km's up on these amaroks cause i'd honestly be surprised if the engine in these is as durable as the Isuzu's unit which has proven to be a 400,000km engine so far

Transporter
11-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Amarok is nice, however the Colorado is a solid ute, anyone who says different is probly another one of those "my ute's better than yours because it's newer and flashier or has this or that badge on it".........don't become one of those fools. The Colorado is made mostly from Isuzu parts, albeit put together by holden but the engine and other important parts are Isuzu and that's what matters. Now it may not be as refined or as car like but it is what it is, a well priced commerical ute with arguably the toughest drive train going around. I really like the Amarok and think it looks great however please don't bad mouth the Colorado until you get some km's up on these amaroks cause i'd honestly be surprised if the engine in these is as durable as the Isuzu's unit which has proven to be a 400,000km engine so far

IMO, you're correct there and only time can prove the Amarok's durability and toughness. :)

gavs
11-05-2011, 12:53 PM

So I am saying "my ute is better than your ute" without evidence? How about 2 in a company fleet, PLUS a D-max (in case you are wondering, it is identical) that continually have problems and bar the D-Max, the tubs are cracked on both the holden products, the D-max has only done 2000kms so it's just a matter of time.

Hell, great wall copied the isuzu product and made it better!

Sharkie
11-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Sometimes I think the VW fans have problems seeing the virtues of other brands. Whilst I'm on my 9th VW now, I'm about to buy a 2007 3.6 V6 petrol manual Holden Rodeo DC 4x4 .....

Why, because (1) I have owned an earlier (2000) V6 Rodeo and it was a great utility vehicle for us ..... nothing went wrong in 90000km and it had all (well almost) the power I needed from a DC ute, (2) its cheap, less than $25K for a low milage one, (3) The Amarok's still have to prove themselves to me and (4) there is no petrol version currently available in Australia. I have no inerest in the TDIs, especially the TTDI of which I have heard of a number of engine failures in overseas.

When a TSI Amarok arrives I will have a look and then possibly upgrade, but I'd have no issues keeping the Rodeo for a while, as unlike some others I don't suffer VW only blindness ..... :rolleyes:

calibrated
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Sometimes I think the VW fans have problems seeing the virtues of other brands. Whilst I'm on my 9th VW now, I'm about to buy a 2007 3.6 V6 petrol manual Holden Rodeo DC 4x4 .....

Why, because (1) I have owned an earlier (2000) V6 Rodeo and it was a great utility vehicle for us ..... nothing went wrong in 90000km and it had all (well almost) the power I needed from a DC ute, (2) its cheap, less than $25K for a low milage one, (3) The Amarok's still have to prove themselves to me and (4) there is no petrol version currently available in Australia. I have no inerest in the TDIs, especially the TTDI of which I have heard of a number of engine failures in overseas.

When a TSI Amarok arrives I will have a look and then possibly upgrade, but I'd have no issues keeping the Rodeo for a while, as unlike some others I don't suffer VW only blindness ..... :rolleyes:

can you provide a source for the engine failure's? I have not heard of any.

Sharkie
11-05-2011, 03:04 PM
can you provide a source for the engine failure's? I have not heard of any.

Oettinger .... hence the reason they restrict their 2.0TTDI tunes to 140kw ..... :eek: .... and the failures have not been happening on their tuned engines either .... when a German tuning company with close ties to VW gets nervous I take notice ....

kil0watt
11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
So I am saying "my ute is better than your ute" without evidence? How about 2 in a company fleet, PLUS a D-max (in case you are wondering, it is identical) that continually have problems and bar the D-Max, the tubs are cracked on both the holden products, the D-max has only done 2000kms so it's just a matter of time.

Hell, great wall copied the isuzu product and made it better!

What problems are you continually having with them? I would like you to tell me what vehicle I can buy that has no problems what-so-ever....that's right one doesn't exist. Every car manufacturer has dramas and I bet the Amarok will suffer it's fair share of problems as has the BT-50/Ranger, Triton, Hilux, D-MAX/Colorado and Navara. As for the Great Wall, it actually only copied the panels with a different front end. It runs Mitsubishi and Toyota drive line bits and pieces and if you think it's better than the Colorado than good for you.

sh|tbmxrider
11-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Not even put together by Holden, Isuzu build the damn things in the same factory as D-Max

I have had 3 D-Max's... and apart from them being a little agricultural, with a few annoying issues (squeek from front suspension, broke the lid off the centre console) they were, for the most part, a nice truck. I am sure the Amarok is nicer to drive. Will it be as durable as the D-Max? Only time will tell(if we stand this test of time)

FWIW: the 3 D-Max's were driven (company cars) for 6 months each, all got to 40k

Transporter
12-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Hmm, many "1/2 emty glass" type people here. I'd like to bring a bit of optimism in the discussion.
Our 2008 Touareg done over 50,000km and is very reliable, solid as rock, no wander they won last 3 Dakar rallyes, the last one was from start to finish and the competetion didn't stand a chance.

Amarok is built from the same parts bins, so I would expect durability there, the 4 cylinder engine is well proven and I'm sure it will be OK under the Amarok's bonnet.

dbrad
12-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Problem with the Colorado and D-Max for some business leasing/purcahsing is they have only 3 star safety rating. If you look at crash test videos comparing them with the Triton/Hilux/Amarok you can see why and it's not just the airbags.

turdal44
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Problem with the Colorado and D-Max for some business leasing/purcahsing is they have only 3 star safety rating. If you look at crash test videos comparing them with the Triton/Hilux/Amarok you can see why and it's not just the airbags.
I have done some research on the amarok and other dual cabs in the class and safety and economy are the two stand out fields you can try to compare any vehicle with another but the only true way is to have them from a starting point and drive them in an identical manner,

Sharkie
12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Hmm, many "1/2 emty glass" type people here. I'd like to bring a bit of optimism in the discussion.

Not so much 1/2 empty as sick and tired of people always dishing other brands and holding VW up as the bees knees ..... when its not. There are more reliable and nicer to drive cars (and utes) out there, just not necessarily in the same package ..... VW has had its share of issues over the years and its pretty stupid to expect a brand new model to be faultless straight off ..... I'm expecting teething issues which will no doubt be rectified as time goes on.

As far as this thread goes, there is nothing wrong with going for a Rodeo/Colorado/D-Max as there are more to utes than just a bigger tub and a "nicer" inside, and as always we have the VW fanbois dishing anything else.

I'm a VW fan and will buy a Rodeo over a Amarok at this point in time as my needs in a ute is not being met by the Amarok right now.

Amarok is built from the same parts bins, so I would expect durability there, the 4 cylinder engine is well proven and I'm sure it will be OK under the Amarok's bonnet.

2.0TTDI is not so well proven in reality, its pretty new as far as engines go .....

EDIT: and as far as long term reliability goes ..... every new VW I have ever bought (6 in total out of 9) have had some kind of fairly significant warranty repair except for the Multivan ...... every new Toyota and the new V6 Isuzu DC (Rodeo) I bought did not ever have a warranty repair ..... 90000km+ on all of them .....

Transporter
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Sharkie, what was wrong with your Tiguan?

Sharkie
12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Sharkie, what was wrong with your Tiguan?

All I'm saying is, it spent a week at VW having something fairly major replaced under warranty ..... it was a year old and had 8000km on it .... it even had to be towed in ....

turdal44
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
2.0TTDI is not so well proven in reality, its pretty new as far as engines go .....

I Thought and may be wrong but isnt it the same TDI as in The T5 just tweaked with an extra turbo basically

Frankenstrat
13-05-2011, 11:31 AM
My boss recently test drove an Amarok, and he was underwhelmed, he currently drives a Navara dual cab. He's a big fan of VW, and I encouraged him to have a go in the 'Rok, but he didn't like the drive and handling.

flyingfridge
13-05-2011, 12:24 PM
, but he didn't like the drive and handling.

That certainly makes him a member of the minority, everyone coming through here absolutely loves it.

kil0watt
13-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Not even put together by Holden, Isuzu build the damn things in the same factory as D-Max

I have had 3 D-Max's... and apart from them being a little agricultural, with a few annoying issues (squeek from front suspension, broke the lid off the centre console) they were, for the most part, a nice truck. I am sure the Amarok is nicer to drive. Will it be as durable as the D-Max? Only time will tell(if we stand this test of time)

FWIW: the 3 D-Max's were driven (company cars) for 6 months each, all got to 40k

There is alot of wrong information out there regarding the Isuzu/Colorado engine specs,who build's what and so on, if you email Isuzu you'll find that the Colorado is built in the same factory however the people that put it together on the line are not from the Isuzu camp and vice versa. So no the Colorado is not put together by Isuzu as such. If you drive them both they have small characteristics which make them behave differently, they are not identical underneath.

sh|tbmxrider
14-05-2011, 12:56 AM
There is alot of wrong information out there regarding the Isuzu/Colorado engine specs,who build's what and so on, if you email Isuzu you'll find that the Colorado is built in the same factory however the people that put it together on the line are not from the Isuzu camp and vice versa. So no the Colorado is not put together by Isuzu as such. If you drive them both they have small characteristics which make them behave differently, they are not identical underneath.

Err?

I had the pleasure of having the D-Max's at my old job. That particular dealer group also had a Holden franchise, as well as the Isuzu Ute franchise.... Thru a lack of stock of D-Max's one month, the Service manager at my dealership got given a Diesel Colorado.

Chucked em both up on hoists. Same diesel engine, same gearbox, same diffs, same chassis, same wheels, same brakes, same cab shell, same dash...different front end treatment, different badging... And you can get a Petrol Anchortech 3.6 in the Colorado.

sh|tbmxrider
14-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Our 2008 Touareg done over 50,000km and is very reliable, solid as rock, no wander they won last 3 Dakar rallyes, the last one was from start to finish and the competetion didn't stand a chance.

Just like the BMW X3 Rallye Raid vehicles are long way from a X3 of road going specification, or a V8 Supercar Commodore/Falcon is far away from a SSV/XR8.... The Touareg Dakar is a long way from a Touareg your or I can buy... Still a great car, but a Dakar Special it aint...

Transporter
14-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Just like the BMW X3 Rallye Raid vehicles are long way from a X3 of road going specification, or a V8 Supercar Commodore/Falcon is far away from a SSV/XR8.... The Touareg Dakar is a long way from a Touareg your or I can buy... Still a great car, but a Dakar Special it aint...

Oh, I know that. What I mean is, that they have the same DNA. :grin:

phaeton
14-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Square up some errors-

-D-Max (Isuzu) is built in a separate plant to the Colorado (GM Rayong Plant).

-I agree with the statement that Amarok has Dakar technology, BiTDI is a product from the Dakar.

kil0watt
14-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Err?

I had the pleasure of having the D-Max's at my old job. That particular dealer group also had a Holden franchise, as well as the Isuzu Ute franchise.... Thru a lack of stock of D-Max's one month, the Service manager at my dealership got given a Diesel Colorado.

Chucked em both up on hoists. Same diesel engine, same gearbox, same diffs, same chassis, same wheels, same brakes, same cab shell, same dash...different front end treatment, different badging... And you can get a Petrol Anchortech 3.6 in the Colorado.

I realize this as i've had experience with them both. My point was that they are not simply identical clones fitted with different badges and front ends. There ARE differences such as better headlights in the D-max, different aircon gear, different computers, different trim and gauges in the current d-max. Anyways it's all off topic, the original post was whether the Amarok is any better than the Colorado and the answer is yes! Why you ask.......because it cost more and has a euro badge so it must be better! The best dual cab ute is the one you can afford that YOU like best be it a great wall, Colorado or a Amarok.

passatstef
14-05-2011, 10:55 PM
just watch out for the eletrics and the windows.part from that not bad.we fixed a few at work

GTi Bhoy
14-05-2011, 11:04 PM
The Colorado doesnt use Isuzu parts.
Thats why Isuzu entered Oz with the DMax.
They split with Holden, thats also why we dont have Rodeo anymore.

Frankenstrat
15-05-2011, 02:46 PM
That certainly makes him a member of the minority, everyone coming through here absolutely loves it.

Well I was disappointed for him, he was really keen to own one.

turdal44
16-05-2011, 09:14 AM
but he didn't like the drive and handling.
this may be because he feels it wont handle off road because it is so smooth on sealed roads

twincab
16-05-2011, 10:11 AM
One area where the Rok is behind is the tow rating, 2000kg I believe. Most of the other makes are well above, up to 3000kg. I would love a Rok but I tow 2080kg so it is not going to happen for that reason.

Pete

turdal44
16-05-2011, 11:05 AM
One area where the Rok is behind is the tow rating, 2000kg I believe. Most of the other makes are well above, up to 3000kg. I would love a Rok but I tow 2080kg so it is not going to happen for that reason.

Pete2800 kg braked and 750kg unbraked so it is still in the ball park

gavs
16-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Pete

If you take off in low range 4x4, yeah it is 3000kgs....... (looking at you, D40 Nissan Navara.....)

calibrated
16-05-2011, 08:56 PM
If you take off in low range 4x4, yeah it is 3000kgs....... (looking at you, D40 Nissan Navara.....)

lol.

noo, I cant tow that much, i'll split my arse :facepalm:

twincab
17-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Sorry got it arse about again, must have been thinking of the transporter tow rating. 2800kg puts it way over my requirements and the Rok well and truly back at the top of the list.

Pete

phantomcamel
24-05-2011, 12:19 AM

Pete
Most other makes???

NISSAN 3t empty, 5% towball weight, up to only 8% incline
AMAROK 2.8t, under FULL LOAD, 10% towball weight & up to 12% incline

gator3535
29-05-2011, 02:20 PM
uhhh kinda sorry I asked LOL !

Transporter
29-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Don't be, it's quite civilized discussion and some info in it too. :)

Frankenstrat
30-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Quite right, my boss had a Golf Blue Motion in the UK before he migrated a few years ago, so he's a confirmed VW lover. He occasionally borrows my Golf if his Navara is unavailable for any reason.

I wasn't present when he test drove the 'Rok, so I don't know where he went, possibly to Melville VW in WA. We have a Hi-Lux dual cab ute at work and the driver thereof would be interested in the 'Rok.

phantomcamel
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
ROK has 7 cm more width to the HILUX in shoulder height - I measured it ;)

omb
17-10-2011, 07:17 PM
As the owner of 5 Holden Rodeo Utes 2005 V6 Auto, Dual Cab x 2, Extra Cab x 1 and 2 Cab Chasis.

I can tell you a few things about Rodeo: 1) Expensive Parts very high rate of failure in starter motors.
2) Lucky to get 400km out of a 70ltr Tank (20ltr per 100)
3) High Service costs

Speaking to a Colarado owner last week not much has changed fuel usage wise as Isuzu love wasting petrol.

I'll keep my Rok and switch in five years to something else better, if anything is...
Most of the complaints I have seen are form people who cant afford a new 4x4
anything in the first place.

Personally Amarok is easily the best ute I've driven.

FASTCRAIG
22-10-2011, 04:28 PM
What problems are you continually having with them? I would like you to tell me what vehicle I can buy that has no problems what-so-ever....that's right one doesn't exist. Every car manufacturer has dramas and I bet the Amarok will suffer it's fair share of problems as has the BT-50/Ranger, Triton, Hilux, D-MAX/Colorado and Navara. As for the Great Wall, it actually only copied the panels with a different front end. It runs Mitsubishi and Toyota drive line bits and pieces and if you think it's better than the Colorado than good for you.

V240 has the same engine as the base 2.4 triton, the same chassis as a D-Max/Colorado, tray, doors, door handles and most interior parts are interchangable between the 3, the x240 has a Toyota chassis, please, if your going to bag a product be correct.

kil0watt
13-04-2012, 02:53 PM
V240 has the same engine as the base 2.4 triton, the same chassis as a D-Max/Colorado, tray, doors, door handles and most interior parts are interchangable between the 3, the x240 has a Toyota chassis, please, if your going to bag a product be correct.

Yeah well I was mostly correct, also you need to mention that the reason the parts are interchangeable is because they are copies. In your above comment it would almost appear you are implying that they are genuine Mitsubishi/Isuzu parts slapped together. I apologize for digging up an old thread in advance.