PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive cruise settings ?

sa-r32
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
While waiting for my CC to arrive I'm keen to understand what value can be set for the gap on the adaptive cruise option.

Is the gap between your car and the one in front set in meters ?
What are the increments available ?
What is the smallest value eg. 20m ?

Thanks
Paul

Pook
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
There are six settings you can choose from, not sure exactly what distance they correlate to. It is the same interface as the one to set the swipe speed of the windscreen wipers on intermittent.

At a guess it would be about 30 meters out to about 50 or 60 at the furthest setting. To be honest I set it at the closest setting and have never had any problem with being to close to the car in front.

h100vw
03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Probably a 2 Metre setting for South Australia! :D

Gavin

sa-r32
04-05-2011, 07:08 AM
There are six settings you can choose from, not sure exactly what distance they correlate to. It is the same interface as the one to set the swipe speed of the windscreen wipers on intermittent.

At a guess it would be about 30 meters out to about 50 or 60 at the furthest setting. To be honest I set it at the closest setting and have never had any problem with being to close to the car in front.

Thanks for the info, 30 meters sounds good.

Cheers

brad
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Our Mondeo has ACC - I hate it. IIRC, it's based on time AND distance AND roadspeed. Smallest gap is about 30m - largest is about 250. The biggest problem is that you can't turn it off. I also think it would halve your brake life & give the people behind you the poos. Worst option ever.

deano646
05-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Our Mondeo has ACC - I hate it. IIRC, it's based on time AND distance AND roadspeed. Smallest gap is about 30m - largest is about 250. The biggest problem is that you can't turn it off. I also think it would halve your brake life & give the people behind you the poos. Worst option ever.

I couldn't disagree more!! I love this option. I didn't really want it to start with but the only car I could get (in a reasonable time frame) had it. I think you just have to pick your timing to use it. In really heavy traffic (morning freeway) it isn't great, but if the traffic is humming along it is just brilliant. Its certainly saved my bacon a couple of times when things have come to a dramatic halt.

I travel a bit and have to drive cars with normal cruise and I just don't like it and generally dont use it as there is no comparison with ACC.

Hopefully you have the same experience as me!

Dr Block
05-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I couldn't disagree more!! I love this option. I didn't really want it to start with but the only car I could get (in a reasonable time frame) had it. I think you just have to pick your timing to use it. In really heavy traffic (morning freeway) it isn't great, but if the traffic is humming along it is just brilliant. Its certainly saved my bacon a couple of times when things have come to a dramatic halt.

I travel a bit and have to drive cars with normal cruise and I just don't like it and generally dont use it as there is no comparison with ACC.

Hopefully you have the same experience as me!

I couldn't agree with you more!

This is my 2nd car with ACC and it's gold - I would never have a car without it.

kaanage
05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Probably a 2 Metre setting for South Australia! :D

Jeremy Clarkson called that the "Audi distance" when setting the ACC during one TG segment!

brad
05-05-2011, 10:42 AM
meh. It's mainly the fact that you can't completely turn off the Adaptive part. I have to drive a 10km stretch of 80kmh roadworks twice a day. It's heavily policed so I use CC & if I'm in the Mondeo instead of the Skoda, with the excessive ACC gap, every bugger jumps in & I get pushed further & further back down the queue & go slower & slower (even in the "fast" lane).

On the motorway @ 110kmh, you come up behind a slower car (100kmh) & it slows you down too soon but if you move to the overtake lane, it baulks those that are going a bit faster than what I am. (I respect peoples inclination to drive faster than the posted limit).

Having driven in the UK, Germany & Austria, I can see that it would be more effective where there is a bit more flexibility in what speed you can do on the motorway.

Leagle
05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I didn't get the Adaptive Cruise Control with my CC however - as I have stated on other threads - standard Cruise on the CC is far better than just about any other car I have used. Setting the speed to a predetermined limit (eg 40kms/hr for school zones) and increasing and decreasing the speed is very intuitive (simply flick up or down to increase or decrease in 10km increments). Unlike other cars, I always know what speed the cruise control is set at and the DSG seems to play a valuable role in decreasing speed effectively - when flicking cruise down, the car slows down remarkably quickly without using the brakes. I assume that for that reason, that is probably why the ACC is so effective on the CC too, it probably relies more on the DSG's downshifts rather than braking in slowing down the vehicle once the radar locks onto vehicle ahead. Either way, ACC or not, cruising is effortless in the CC.