PDA

View Full Version : Drilling

MattyT
02-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I want to install a fire extinguisher into my golf. Safety mostly. That and a good friend of mine lost her kombi van to an electrical fire many years ago :(

I was about to start drilling into my golfs floor when I stopped and thought "will this cause any rust? Is there something I should put on it to make sure it doesnt?"

Having never drilled into a car's steel before, i'd like to know.

Cheers :)

h100vw
02-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I would try and mount it in the boot where the first aid kit should be. This is by the left hand rear light. There is a couple of bolts there already and the may line up. Plus you can pull back the carpet to see what you are drilling.

On a side note years ago I drilled through the boot floor to fit an cd changer and drilled into the top of the fuel tank. f**kwit.

Luckily a big old self tapper fixed that up!!

Gavin

MattyT
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Nup, no first aid kit! No bolts either?

This is in a mk3 golf. I'm thinking i'll drill into the drivers footwell. Just dont want to hit anything vital or have it rust out from my surgery in a few months time.

brackie
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Coat your drill in Vaseline before you start. When the hole is drilled wipe off the excess and give it a spray with fish oil. It'll smell pretty bad for a while but it will never rust. While you're at it (so that at least you're getting your money's worth for the smell) spray into box sections, plenum chamber and door bottoms. Fish oil is wonderful stuff and has preserved many a car.

h100vw
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Nup, no first aid kit! No bolts either?

This is in a mk3 golf. I'm thinking i'll drill into the drivers footwell. Just dont want to hit anything vital or have it rust out from my surgery in a few months time.

The holes are there mate, on every mk3, just move the covering. The kit is an extra outside of Germany.

I reckon your as well fitting it there as in the cabin. No rust or smelly fish to deal with.

Gavin

peedman
02-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeh the mk3 boot doesnt have the side pouches to store stuff. Just dont go drilling into the boot coz the fuel tank is underneath.

MattyT
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Ahhhh fish, what arent they good for!

I've taken a look around me house and cannot find any fish oil. Can you get it from supercheap auto etc? Or is it more a chemist thing?

peedman
02-06-2007, 06:43 PM
yeh supercheap, repco, autoone etc... Throw up some piccies once ur done, im keen to take a look.

MattyT
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Deodorised fish oil purchased.

I drill tomorrow. Or tonight if I dont go out :D

Pix will be forthcoming.

16v80
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I wouldnt go drilling holes in the floor,
When i fitted a fire extinguisher to my Audi i made a bracket which fits to the front of the passenger seat frame, (same frame as golfs )it sits off the floor and slides forward and back with the seat,
and if the worst should happen its very easy to grab, will be doing the same thing to my gti soon
if ur interested ill send u sum pics

Ian

MattyT
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Just drilled then!

Went in okay. Sprayed the heck out of the underside with fish oil. It might have been deodorised but it still smells a bit rank.

Was a little hesitant to be drilling through the colour concept floor mats as well, but the holes arent easy to spot.

Finished result:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~kevid/VR6/20070603_FireExt-0003.jpg
= No fire for matty :D

rayray086
04-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Well done mate; leg space not too cramped?

KI11Z
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
seems an awkward place to put it?? :?

MattyT
04-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Nup, not cramped in the slightest. Your foot sits on the loud-pedal so its safely out of the way and when getting in my feet never come to land in that spot so tis perfect.

DubSteve
05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Wil it be seen as a defect at all?

MattyT
05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Considering police have extinquishers bolted into their cars too? Hope not.

I dont see how a safety device can be bad though. Its securely fastened in there and it'll help save my car or somebody else's (if I feel generous j:) one day.