PDA

View Full Version : FM Transmitter for MP3 player

poloplayer
02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey guys, can you recommend a good (awesome sound quality would be prefered j:) FM Transmitter so that I can use my MP3 player in the car? Cheers.

Volksfolks
02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
i have yet to find a good one, hard wire mine, bit of a task but well worth it. others may know of a good one though. just my opinion. Andy

MattyT
02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Dont know of any.
Would be much better if your head unit had an AUX in and the mp3 player a line out.

ScienceVR6
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
The ones that we use to install DVD players stil arn't as good as a proper hard wired Aux-in. Check if stinger have one, you may need a RCA to jack cable to use them though. Most companies have a FM modulator that is used for the DVD systems.

qsilverza
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Don't bother with FM transmitter, unless absolutely needed.

ScienceVR6
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, can you recommend a good (awesome sound quality would be prefered j:) FM Transmitter so that I can use my MP3 player in the car? Cheers.

Don't bother with FM transmitter, unless absolutely needed.

I take it you (poloplayer) have a late model Polo, with a stock deck and want to run your ipod/mp3 player.
The stock decks do not have a aux-in, so you need a FM modulator. and a FM mod is far cheaper than a new deck, especialy in a new vw with cam-bus systems.

poloplayer
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Whoops, better clear up some confusion. My dad has a Camry, and all I want to do is use my mp3 player in there. Has no aux in, or cassette deck. So was just wondering if you guys could recommend good value FM Transmitter for the mp3 player :)

ScienceVR6
03-06-2007, 09:57 PM
confusion cleared. I'll do some research.

MattyT
03-06-2007, 09:57 PM
What mp3 player is it?

ScienceVR6
03-06-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/fm-usb-mp3-transmittor/
http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2007/multimedia/accessories/FM200/au-en-product-pf_1171866248179.html

These are two differant types you could use.
Most audio companys have one of these avalible.

Edit* after much searching of "the net", i cant find any more of the second one.

gtiono
05-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Good FM transmitters are VERY hard to find in my opinion.

Here's a reasonable sounding one

http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/accessories/0,239029103,240055941,00.htm

Make sure you research the quality of the reception and if possible hear it for yourself. Ive purchased a couple (both cr!@!), from reputable stores too (not ebay or cheap online ones unless you know the exact model you want).

They do exist though. The one built into my garmin Nuvi GPS is really good.

andytlr
28-08-2007, 02:31 PM
In general they are pretty poor, but they are better than nothing. Over the last 6 or so years I've gradually moved from tape&wire connection, to iTrip FM transmitter, to head unit with RCA to Mini Jack cable hanging out of the dash. To Alpine headunit with ipod control. Friends have had various FM transmitters and I can never tell the difference, they all sound pretty average. The biggest problem with them is interference. If your in a big city it's hard to find a clear frequency.

But I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find if it is just for when you borrow your dad's car. If you've got an iPod the iTrip from Belkin is good but I haven't used one in about 4 years.