PDA

View Full Version : Delivery gone bad

mcerlean2001
22-04-2011, 05:06 PM
After having waited for 6 months, I was finally notified by my dealer that my MY11 Superb Elegance Silver 125TDi wagon was ready for pick-up. When I arrived at the dealer, I was extremely disappointed to find:
a) The MDI I had ordered was not installed - but they gave me the interface cable which was the wrong type. So they are going to fit this at the first service. Can anyone tell me where the MDI is located on a MY11 - is in the glovebox or the console between the seats (photos would be appreciated)
b) There wasn't any Sat Nav disk(s) supplied and the dealer said that they are not normally supplied - although I'm sure I read somewhere in this forum that they should be supplied. So I questioned the dealer and he will be checking with Skoda Australia
c) The umbrella wasn't supplied and the dealer said that Skoda stop supplying these. I mentioned that when I ordered the car in Nov I was told the umbrella was supplied as standard. Again the dealer is checking with Skoda Australia
d) The application of the window tint was appalling. Every window had numerous air bubbles and there was even a piece of string caught between the tint and one of the windows. I know air bubbles are common and should come out eventually, I have never seen this amound on any previous new car I had ordered. I had to get the dealer to agree to fix the tint if the bubbles were still there at the first service.

Finally, to add insult to injury, when they went to move my car from the showroom, it had a flat battery!

Overall, what should have been an exciting time for me ended up with me taking the car and leaving very disappointed.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

spaz74
22-04-2011, 05:36 PM
All little teething problems that can be rectified. I initially rejected my car after waiting 8 months but happy the dealer and I came to an agreement a few days later.
Mine (delivered in March) had the umbrella, MDI cable in the console, DVD disc arrived a week later (Still haven't gone back to pick it up)- It's crap anyway. As for the tint job if it is that bad I would get them to do it again at their expense.

theduckster
22-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I believe that the MDI unit comes factory fitted. The dealer needs to order the SatNav disks from Skoda Australia and I believe are free to do so as soon as the vehicle is assigned a VIN number and is in production. Too many disks were getting knocked off from the cars while en route to the dealers. Skoda only started supplying umbrella's again with Superbs for Australia that went into production week 7 and onwards this year.

I don't get mine until July/August and hopefully I won't encounter the problems that you have. I will certainly be checking before I go in that everything is with the car before I take delivery.

Apart from the delivery problems I hope that car has has been a pleasure to own since you have taken delivery of it. I agree with spaz74, if the tint job is that bad I would get them to do it again.

mcerlean2001
22-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm worried that the dealer will stuff up the MDI install...

Putting aside the delivery issues, I must admit the car is sensastional!! Though I'm finding that getting used to the DSG is challenging

spaz74
23-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I too am still getting used to the DSG.
My driveway is on in incline and I regularly have "issues" about what the car is going to do.

SkodaK
23-04-2011, 06:18 PM
My wagon was ordered last July, delivered February without an umbrella also. I was told that it was removed from the spec. sometime before my build date in December, however the dealer was fair enough to concede that since the official brochures were never changed, they owed me an umbrella, which they supplied from spare parts stock. If your car has an MDI interface, it will be in the front of the centre console. Sat Nav disks should be supplied, what use the current one is though is debatable. I drove up to Bendigo last week on a freeway section which has been open for 3 years (and 10 days), the GPS said I was offroad for all of it! Agree about the DSG. Given that I hate torque converters, it's a brilliant concept and performs beautifully going forward. Takeup in reverse is a little weird however and rather clunky in my opinion.

mcerlean2001
28-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't have any issues with reverse. What I'm getting used to with the DSG is the slight hesitation in taking off and it wanting to change up quickly to 6th and hold it.

SkodaK - was your MDI factory installed and for clarification, was the interface inside the front console?

SkodaK
28-04-2011, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=- was your MDI factory installed and for clarification, was the interface inside the front console?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and yes. Mind you, I ticked the MDI option unaware that there was an auxiliary port in the console as well which is all my humble iPod Shuffle requires. Does anybody know what other uses the MDI has?

dArK5HaD0w
29-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, and yes. Mind you, I ticked the MDI option unaware that there was an auxiliary port in the console as well which is all my humble iPod Shuffle requires. Does anybody know what other uses the MDI has?

if i remember correctly, with the "aux" port in the centre console, its just that - audio. u still need to change tracks/vol using ur iPod/iPhone/MP3 player. it won't charge ur device either.

however with an mdi, and the appropriate cable, u can control the playlists on ur iPod/iPhone through ur bolero/columbus/mfd, and charge them at the same time.
with a usb mdi cable, u can connect an external hdd, and have loads of music played off it.

ralp2dam
29-04-2011, 04:19 PM
if i remember correctly, with the "aux" port in the centre console, its just that - audio. u still need to change tracks/vol using ur iPod/iPhone/MP3 player. it won't charge ur device either.

however with an mdi, and the appropriate cable, u can control the playlists on ur iPod/iPhone through ur bolero/columbus/mfd, and charge them at the same time.
with a usb mdi cable, u can connect an external hdd, and have loads of music played off it.

dArK5HaD0w, I believe you are exactly correct. The aux will get you by, but the mdi is far superior if you have all your music stored on another device such as an iPod.

SkodaO
07-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi all,

This is maybe slightly off track but...

I have taken delivery of a new Skoda Octavia 1.8, tsi, dsg, my11, after waiting 5 month and have been learning how to operate the satnav, mdi and learning how to tranfer music over to the HHD.

My question is: should the volume control on the steering wheel be linked to all the music devices? At the moment it only works with the radio and when playing music from the CD, SD card and the HHD (haven't tried the MDI yet - cable not supplied) the volume control does not work from the steering wheel, you can only alter the volume via the standard volume knob on the radio.

I am also finding the dsg a little different from the standard auto's, I have had to change my driving a little.

theduckster
07-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey SkodaO welcome to the VWWatercooled.

I test drove a Superb this morning and the volume button on the steering wheel worked for the MDI (iPod connected) and the radio. The Superb had a Columbus unit. I find it a little strange that it doesn't work all on devices. I believe it would be something worth checking out with your dealer.

SkodaO
07-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, a little strange, will definitely be contacting the dealer about it.

dArK5HaD0w
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
the volume control on the steering does not work if the car is switched off.

SkodaO
08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi dArK5HaDOw

I checked it out, it does work if the car is switched on and won't if it is off.

Still seems a bit strange though.

Thanks

K1W1
08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
(haven't tried the MDI yet - cable not supplied)

No cable is supplied.
You have to buy the cable you want there are two or three different ones depending on whether you want iPod/iPhone or standard USB or mini USB. Cables run around $100 from local dealers or about a quarter of that from the Internet.

SkodaO
09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
They sent an mdi cable to me in the mail, it arrived today.

Did a little bit of driving over the weekend, getting used to the dsg gearbox, very nice to drive.

K1W1
09-05-2011, 09:16 PM
They sent an mdi cable to me in the mail, it arrived today.

You had a win on that one.