PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel quality across the Australia

Transporter
18-04-2011, 08:57 AM
My daughter went to Naracoorte in the Touareg for 6 weeks and came back for the weekend. She has noticed that the car used much less fuel on the way back to Adelaide, the engine felt stronger than when driving around the Adelaide. She never paid much attention to how economical the car is and her driving style never changes. So, I think that the Adelaide BP diesel is different to the one in the Naracoorte.

She used only 1/4 of the tank while driving from the Naracoorte to Adelaide. :?

phaeton
18-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe the wind was behind ???

killingwithasmile
18-04-2011, 07:22 PM
or it was downhill?

ian
18-04-2011, 07:43 PM
I live in the Penrith area and often drive to Bowral and i always use more fuel going there than coming home ,admittedly its a climb from cambeltown to the Bowral Area and i usually use an extra litre than the return trip.

Transporter
17-06-2011, 08:40 AM
With our Touareg now back at home, I can reliably say that the car was running better and had a better fuel economy using fuel from Naracoorte, than what ever BP sells in Adelaide.

TomC
17-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Could it be that the station she bought fuel from is regularly used by highway traffic (especially trucks)? I wonder whether there is a faster turn-over of fuel, which might lead to fresher fuel in the petrol station tanks?

wai
05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I know this is going back to the days of leaded fuel, but the fuel sold within the Sydney metropolitan area had slightly less lead in it than the petrol sold outside the metropolitan area. I know many who would drive to service stations on the outskirts to get their fuel there as their cars ran better.

I would not be too surprised if there was a slightly different formulation with diesel fuels.

Also, as has been mentioned, the diesel in city service stations might not get cycled through as frequently so might degrade.

Altered Sprinter
05-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Fuel in Australia: Diesel is rated ULSD 15 pp/m 48 cetane and Extra ULSD 10 p/pm 51 cetane Caltex Vortex and BP both have the fuels. WA BP was the first to trial 10 p/pm, early 2007
By using 10 ppm fuels fuel economy per kilometer will increase if the vehicle is driven in reasonable manor consider, then the accelerator is a fuel-o -demand- tap, hit the pedal to the floor and the turbos will dramatically decrease your fuel efficiency.
Richard

Diesel_vert
07-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Fuel in Australia: Diesel is rated ULSD 15 pp/m 48 cetane and Extra ULSD 10 p/pm 51 cetane Caltex Vortex and BP both have the fuels. WA BP was the first to trial 10 p/pm, early 2007
By using 10 ppm fuels fuel economy per kilometer will increase if the vehicle is driven in reasonable manor consider, then the accelerator is a fuel-o -demand- tap, hit the pedal to the floor and the turbos will dramatically decrease your fuel efficiency.
Richard

From 1 January 2009, all diesel fuel sold in Europe and Australia must have a sulphur content of less than 10 ppm. Some manufacturers like BP introduced it way before the deadline, whilst others like Caltex were granted an extension for a period of 6 months IIRC.

From 1 December 2010, all diesel fuel sold in the U.S. must have a sulphur content of less than 15 ppm.

Minimum cetane index is 46 for EU and AUS, though according to Caltex, the average cetane index for diesel fuel in AUS is well above the national standard. Probably likewise in the EU.

BP states its diesel has a typical CI of 51, and a typical CI of 52 for BP Ultimate Diesel.

Minimum cetane index is 40 for the U.S. (!) which doesn't bode well for them and their (imported) vehicles.

10 ppm diesel indirectly contributes to fuel savings, mainly because the DPF (if fitted) needs to regenerate less often compared to 50 ppm diesel, and less to do with the fuel itself.

(See here for more information on Australian fuel standards) (http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/standards/index.html)

***At the end of the day though, the quality of the fuel can still vary from servo to servo due to external factors, even if they are made to the same national standards.***

Altered Sprinter
07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
From 1 January 2009, all diesel fuel sold in Europe and Australia must have a sulphur content of less than 10 ppm. Some manufacturers like BP introduced it way before the deadline, whilst others like Caltex were granted an extension for a period of 6 months IIRC.

From 1 December 2010, all diesel fuel sold in the U.S. must have a sulphur content of less than 15 ppm.
Actually it was September 2009 at the latest: It never happened, as to the final EPA emission accord for/Cafe` BIn standards 2011-12...blocked in Congress .
Fuel U.S averages 40 cetane on summer blends B2 winter is down to 35 Cn..The fame standards are not consistent to EU ISO International standards,and the lack of added enchantments for upper cylinder lubricity, is not included as to a non agreement of partnership alignment between refinery's, and the privately owned pipe line operators of whom refineries use of the Trans-bulk-line fuels.
Diesel in the U.S is an issue as to exceptionally high sulfur contents in the fuels, of which lowered Hp engines are used; with additional EGR valves and SCR. Plus the Particulate filters including the 2010 AdBlue additive. to further reduce the final emissions of particulate from the rear tailpipe.
The reference is for Commercial based vehicles over 3500Kg Us is 3800Kg on the 2500 series.

Minimum cetane index is 46 for EU and AUS, though according to Caltex, the average cetane index for diesel fuel in AUS is well above the national standard. Probably likewise in the EU.

BP states its diesel has a typical CI of 51, and a typical CI of 52 for BP Ultimate Diesel. True but it still selling both ULSD and Ultimate 15/ppm and 10pm or below.

Minimum cetane index is 40 for the U.S. (!) which doesn't bode well for them and their (imported) vehicles.
Look at the U.S forums and see how many end up in limp mode or die of the Black death well before any Australian model starts to go down with as the English say Black Yogurt.:(

10 ppm diesel indirectly contributes to fuel savings, mainly because the DPF (if fitted) needs to regenerate less often compared to 50 ppm diesel, and less to do with the fuel itself.
This fuel Ultimate can be successfully used on older Cdi engines using EGR
with additional non alcohol based upper cylinder lubricants-based additives.
This backed by the European manufactures.

(See here for more information on Australian fuel standards) (http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/standards/index.html)

***At the end of the day though, the quality of the fuel can still vary from servo to servo due to external factors, even if they are made to the same national standards.*** Your 100% dead on with this one Melbourne NSW and Brisbane are notorious for playing with Blending fuels to save a cent ,even old ground tanks that are not cleaned or inspected regularly. and using one tank for mixing of fuels, more so in the out of town areas, but cities ..it's a guessing game as to which Diesel your putting into your Tank.
Richard