PDA

View Full Version : GOLF Mk2 GTI DIAGNOSTICS

DOUBLECAB
03-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi Guys....does a 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI have a DATA LINK CONNECTOR or DIAGNOSTIC PLUG.....and if so, where is it located.

I cant find one.....looked behind ashtray, undergear stick cover, in fuse area and glovebox with no luck???

Regards...Leo

syncro
03-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Doesn't have one.

Get a Bentley (or download it)

Golf Loon
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Dont late model ones have a basic diagnosic plug under the steering column and left a bit?

Does the car have MFA?

DOUBLECAB
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Doesn't have one.

Get a Bentley (or download it)

Hi Syncro....so if the fuel injection starts playing up....or anything for that matter.....there is no way of isolating/diagnosing the problem except by trial and error ??

Golf Loon
03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
What kind of fuel injection does it have? digifant or kjet?

There are many tests, but first identify the system and the problem.

DOUBLECAB
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Dont late model ones have a basic diagnosic plug under the steering column and left a bit?

Does the car have MFA?

Hi Golf Loon............had a a look..couldnt find a plug....found a compartment to the left that was embosed 'VAG service system' but did not contain anything.....assume thats where the sevice books would be kept if they had come with the car.

What is MFA?

regards

DOUBLECAB
03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
What kind of fuel injection does it have? digifant or kjet?

There are many tests, but first identify the system and the problem.

Hi again Golf Loon....how do I tell if it is digifant or kjet.....?

The problem is the car starts cold with no probs except for a slight petrol smell if I let it idle for a while before I drive off............however once I have driven for about 3-5 ks and then pulled over and stopped (ie gone into a milkbar) and then started the car again it will start and run rough and wont rev and lacks power to drive off and ussually stalls.....then on restarting it will run rough again but if I let it run without attempting to drive off it will stop running rough and go to normal idle speed and then I can drive off with no probs.
While the car is under way there are no probs....prob only occurs when starting warm/hot.

This prob has only surfaced in last week......have changed fuel and air filter as I thought there might have been a problem in that department.

Any ideas.

syncro
03-02-2006, 05:25 PM
If it's an Australian delivered it will be a digifant. We didn't have K-jet.
Bentley manual has test procedure better than any bull***** computer.

Check all of the temperature sensors and connections. Make sure that the right one is in the right place.

DOUBLECAB
03-02-2006, 07:23 PM
If it's an Australian delivered it will be a digifant. We didn't have K-jet.
Bentley manual has test procedure better than any bull***** computer.

Check all of the temperature sensors and connections. Make sure that the right one is in the right place.

Hi again Syncro..........I can only assume all sensors are in the right 'place' as this prob just came out of the blue.

The Bentley manual.....where do I get it/down load it ?

Regards

Golf Loon
03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Sounds like Idle stabilisation valve. Round silver thing in a ruberr loop by your inlet manifold. It has a wire connector going to it and two hoses. If you remove it and squirt it through with degreaser, that may solve the prob. Also check the rubber hoses for the vacuum system as if they are ripped, that could be your petrol smell. :wink:

syncro
03-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Can be bought as a hard copy for less than $100 from ebay or auto book store or download it from a Russian site as a PDF. I couldn't find it tonight but I saw a link to it from a Dutch or Swedish Golf 2 site.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/02/bentley_vg92_cv_large-1.jpg

Tim
03-02-2006, 11:05 PM
http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=page01 perhaps

Rednut
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM

Can be bought as a hard copy for less than $100 from ebay or auto book store or download it from a Russian site as a PDF. I couldn't find it tonight but I saw a link to it from a Dutch or Swedish Golf 2 site.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/02/bentley_vg92_cv_large-1.jpg

let me know if you find it.. i could use that manual for the 86 jetta :)