PDA

View Full Version : MK4 R32 security

Mario
31-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi all... just touching further on my thoughts on the R32...... does anyone know if they are targeted by crims after a joy ride??.. as some of you may know im looking at getting one but have concerns about parking it on the street overnight.... Yeh i know a good alarm system should control the issue but am still curious if anyone has had there's pinched?...

let me know your thoughts on this and if any R32 owners have aftermarket alarms.... what sort? Pros & cons??

thanks all..

fuzion
31-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi all... just touching further on my thoughts on the R32...... does anyone know if they are targeted by crims after a joy ride??.. as some of you may know im looking at getting one but have concerns about parking it on the street overnight.... Yeh i know a good alarm system should control the issue but am still curious if anyone has had there's pinched?...

let me know your thoughts on this and if any R32 owners have aftermarket alarms.... what sort? Pros & cons??

thanks all..

If your going to get an aftermarket alarm id recommended "Anti-Theft" or "Flashpoint" otherwise realistically its not necessary. You can add BEEP on lock and BEEP on unlock via VagCom as well as autolock doors as well.

Alternatively you can add sensors to the car such as shock, glass, tilt/tow, radar sensors to the stock alarm as well (Which is what ive done for my mk4 gti). I suggest if you havent gotten already auto window lifters (kvw100) or wire up your aftermarket alarm to raise your doors (4-6sec pulse it'll need i think for it) but otherwise the stock one is pretty good it covers you for boot, bonnet and doors with added sensors as mentioned you'll be quite well off.

(for the rec, i am an alarm tech by trade lol)

if you need any help/links with more info let me know

thepowercosmic
31-05-2007, 03:08 PM

thanks all..

Hi Mario,

When I first got my car I did have an incident where I was followed home. Obviously I didn't drive home, i just decided to drive to the local Police station. That got them off my tail.

Having said that, this only happened when I first got my car and interest in the MKIV R32 was higher than it is now.

I don't have an aftermarket alarm and haven't had to find out how good the stock alarm is. Touch wood....having said that I feel confident that the stock alarm / immobiliser is adequate.

The stock alarm as Fuzion mentioned can be programmed via VAG-COM to 'beep' when armed and disarmed, it also has motion sensors for the interior.

Hope that helps.

DaveMack
31-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Mario,

When I first got my car I did have an incident where I was followed home. Obviously I didn't drive home, i just decided to drive to the local Police station. That got them off my tail.

Having said that, this only happened when I first got my car and interest in the MKIV R32 was higher than it is now.

I don't have an aftermarket alarm and haven't had to find out how good the stock alarm is. Touch wood....having said that I feel confident that the stock alarm / immobiliser is adequate.

The stock alarm as Fuzion mentioned can be programmed via VAG-COM to 'beep' when armed and disarmed, it also has motion sensors for the interior.

Hope that helps.

Your stalker was probably a besotted VWW member. :D

Dave

gpk_gti
31-05-2007, 04:20 PM
the vw key has a proximity chip inside ,which when put into the barrel it senses it and allows the car to start(dont know how it works exactly).thats why if you do a back up key from a standard key cutter it will crank the car over but wont start.
alarms,I never believed in them(how many times have u heard car alarms at night or in the day,no one even looks).Just get good insurance and that will make you sleep easy.

fuzion
31-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Mario,

Hope that helps.

didnt have to be so horrible about it! sheesh i was lost you know...... lol

gpk_gti
31-05-2007, 04:52 PM
is that what you boys call it now??? hehehe,playing hard to get !! hahahan:

DubSteve
31-05-2007, 04:53 PM
didnt have to be so horrible about it! sheesh i was lost you know...... lol

You just wanted to chase Stan for some sexy photos of his lol.

Mario
31-05-2007, 05:00 PM
thanks for your input here guys.....VagCom? i have to lookup what that is...im MK1 vintage and VagCom is new to me.. im guessing its an interface with the cars computer? ill have a peak around the forum to see what i can find out but if anyone can fill me in with a few words that would be great too..
again thanks for your help.......
Fuzion i may call on your expertise later... if thats ok..
cheers mario.

ope126
31-05-2007, 05:04 PM
If your going to get an aftermarket alarm id recommended "Anti-Theft" or "Flashpoint" otherwise realistically its not necessary. You can add BEEP on lock and BEEP on unlock via VagCom as well as autolock doors as well.

Alternatively you can add sensors to the car such as shock, glass, tilt/tow, radar sensors to the stock alarm as well (Which is what ive done for my mk4 gti). I suggest if you havent gotten already auto window lifters (kvw100) or wire up your aftermarket alarm to raise your doors (4-6sec pulse it'll need i think for it) but otherwise the stock one is pretty good it covers you for boot, bonnet and doors with added sensors as mentioned you'll be quite well off.

(for the rec, i am an alarm tech by trade lol)

if you need any help/links with more info let me know

The BEEP that you talk about, is that just the Horn blowing, or is it a Beep,Beep like a stand alone alarm (if you know what I mean)

Glenn

fuzion
31-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Glenn,

The beeper module is actually located under the wiper plastic cover not the actual horn.

The R32's sound like a Alarm Beep (quite faint) compared to the MK4 Golf/GTIs which sound more horn like however is NOT the horn beeping on arm or disarm.

99gti
31-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Next door to me is a high rise and there is always a beautiful r32 parked out the front in St Kilda. We have more crack heads, prostitutes and all other sorts of delightfull characters per capita than most exciting neighbourhoods and it's still as pretty as it was the day I moved in.

Consider getting it micro-dotted if your that worried. It wont stop it from happening, but it at least gives you more of a chance of catching the would be thieves.