PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Panel

cusack
31-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi guys

I'm looking at getting this golf (Mk3), but look at the picture. Anything stand out at you?

Yep. That airbag panel has obviously been replaced. I'll find out if this was caused by an accident and the airbags deploying or if maybe the airbags just needed to be replaced during a service or something (I'm hoping the latter).

My question is, is this just a panel that I can simply screw out and replace with a matching colour panel? Or is this a complete module where you would have to replace the whole airbag system? If it's the second, I'd probably just get it painted

Thanks

pommy_golfer
31-05-2007, 01:08 PM
i dont know mate but i like the glovebox.....

peedman
31-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Yeah id just get it painted, stuff called vinyl dye from supercrap etc. Id be cautious and check signs of crashes/repainting. Do a revs check before u committ!

TassieGTi
31-05-2007, 05:18 PM
The panel or glovebox facia is part of the airbag.Its been replaced and the seller is not trying to hide it.

syncro
31-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Glove boxes were optional on Mk3s. They removed the airbag and replaced them with a glove box. A panel beater should be able to colour match it.

DubSteve
31-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Which couyld suggest that this was in a accident and they have fixed it somewhat. You could also get glaveboxes in two places one where the airbag was and the other below it where the tray is.

peedman
31-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Glove boxes were optional on Mk3s. They removed the airbag and replaced them with a glove box. A panel beater should be able to colour match it.

It doesnt look like an upper glovebox, gloveboxes came in the 96+ models replacing the lower shelf below the airbag. Only in the US did they have upper gloveboxes. :)

syncro
31-05-2007, 08:54 PM
It doesnt look like an upper glovebox, gloveboxes came in the 96+ models replacing the lower shelf below the airbag. Only in the US did they have upper gloveboxes. :)

I just remember that they were an option in Australia. You either got the airbag or the glove box. They actually pulled the airbag out at Wetherill Park.

cusack
31-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys, but I was too late. The car was sold fast. The ad went out on Tuesday from a dealer. Sold this afternoon

98 Golf GL 2.0 Mk3
Auto, 60Km, log books
and in MINT condition
$9990.

that was a pretty good price for it!

rayray086
31-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Plenty more late model Mk3s out there! Though quite tough looking for a similar one considering the amount of km's done (or lack of!) and the condition. Good luck anyhow!