PDA

View Full Version : First time VW owner, first time Aussie!

mr_bzr
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello all,

Arrived in Adelaide on 14th Feb immigrated here from NZ for work. Made an order for a Polo GTI on the 17th Feb. Only found this forum a few days ago, when I googled Polo GTI delivery hehe.

Have pretty much surrendered the timing to fate, and given up all hope of putting my hands on the car this year.

What are things to look out for in a VW, I have never bought a new car before, and never even driven a VW except the demo GTI.

The car i ordered for those who are interested, pearl black with bi-xenons, 5 door and windows tinted... (dealer threw that in to try and sweeten the deal) but looking through some posts... don't think the deal I got was a very good one :s zzz....

Anyway might see some of you at future club meets whenever my car shows up.

payno
13-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Don't think there's any such thing as a deal on a Polo GTI at the moment so don't feel too bad. You pay what the dealer asks or you don't get a car!

But just think if you had stayed in NZ you could have gotten the 17" Detroits for a mere $400. WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS AS AN OPTION HERE! =[

gavs
13-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the club of Polo GTI waiting:)

I don't really know what mechanical things you can look for anymore in a Vdub, most of them seem to have been sorted recently, although some are still complaining about DSG gearboxes, but this might just be the stigma of their own in a Mk5 golf going bung. The biggest problem you will find with a VW is VW themselves. Prepare yourself for lies, lots of lies. Also, a customer service department that have no idea what they are talking about and a very sore head from smashing it against a brick wall. Hopefully you got one of the few good vw dealerships but based on nearly everyone's experiences here, unless you went to a proper country dealership, I don't think there is such a thing as a good vw dealership, they just seem as bad as VGA.....

mr_bzr
13-04-2011, 08:29 AM
hmm... I had no clue... I'm not sure of the forum rules on naming dealers. But I did simply rock up to the one and only main VW dealer in Adelaide. (Just google mapped really) without any clue at all >"<.

The salesperson I got was really nice, he was ... quite honest I thought, told me chances are it'll be early next year as allocations have all sold out. He may have been nice because it was his third week on the job (recently changed work from Peugeot).

Correct me if I'm wrong... I thought all GTIs came standard with 17" Detroits? I'm not sure of the name... It was based on one of the cities in the USA... :facepalm:

Anything I need to look out for when picking up the new car? Things that should be there but may not be because some tech or salesperson nicked it... I've contacted the dealer and said I don't want their advertising on my car (in a nice way) after i found out that here in Australia most new cars turn into moving billboards.

Michael

How big is the VW enthusiast following in Adelaide and SA. Keen to go on some cruises at some point to meet people etc.

gavs
13-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Denvers. The car comes with denvers:)

GTI JOE
13-04-2011, 05:23 PM
NZ cars Detroits :( so very unfair!

mr_bzr
13-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes, but cars in NZ are powered by sheep under the hood. So... its a difficult choice to make.

gavs
13-04-2011, 08:57 PM
And they come standard with Velcro gloves;)