PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge and BOV

polojared
12-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Hello :)

Has anyone installed a blow-off value into their POLO 77tsi?

Has anyone installed a boost guage into their POLO 77tsi?

I'm assuming the above will void warranty?

Cheers

break
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I haven't heard of any people here who have done it yet, but both are easy enough to do.

The question is why... both void your warranty, and both are pointless on what is just a frugal city car.

noone
12-04-2011, 03:11 PM
VAG turbo's dont tend to have a good Blow Off sound, I think the .4 bar boost would be pretty dismal on a gauge that goes up to 2 bar...
boost pressure is a guess BTW...

bigfoot
12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I think the .4 bar boost would be pretty dismal on a gauge that goes up to 2 bar...boost pressure is a guess BTW...

i heard they run 22psi or something. tiny turbo though

polojared
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
im asking out of curiosity more than anything tbh

noone
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
That's a lot of boost... Got a source?

gavs
12-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Forge motorsport do a couple of venting valves, have a look in the aftermarket thread in teh 6R polo section.

polojared
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
link pwlease?

gavs
12-04-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/showthread.php?t=55829

It's in there somewhere, sorry I can't be more accurate, I'm on the iPhone typing this!

bigfoot
14-04-2011, 10:56 AM
That's a lot of boost... Got a source?

see this wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#1.2_R4_TSI .2FTFSI_63-77kW) entry...pretty sure i read it in the specs list in the polo brochure too

PoloPie
14-04-2011, 12:05 PM
That is a lot of boost for such a small turbo/engine...

This might be slightly offtopic since you're taking about the TSI, but I'm curious about the maximum boost pressure in the 66TDI but I've had no luck finding it anywhere. Wiki doesn't have it and I've read the polo brochure over many times, does anyone happen to know? I've bought myself a mechanical boost gauge and all the required fittings for a tdi but as it turns out, to get the intercooler-intake pipe out to tap into you'd likely have to take off the front of the car. There's one sneaky little bolt that's incredibly hard to get to.

More effort than it's worth just for curiosity's sake at the moment, maybe at least until the warranty has expired and tinkering can begin :)

gavs
14-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Thin mr reliable wikipedia might have accidently put in a 1......

noone
14-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I can't find anything supporting that. I did see something saying the super and turbo combined had the capability of 2.5 bar, but that was about capacity more than how it's been set up.

Makes sense the 1.4 would have a lot of boost, I'm just after some actual data...

The tuners should have some if they are willing to assist...

noone
14-04-2011, 01:11 PM
36.3 psi... Produced by both turbo and supercharger. That's why the low end torque is so nice...

No info on the turbo alone...

http://dubberz.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=31704.0

break
14-04-2011, 04:38 PM
36.3 psi... Produced by both turbo and supercharger. That's why the low end torque is so nice...

No info on the turbo alone...

Print Page - VW TSI turbo and supercharged 1.4L (http://dubberz.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=31704.0)That 36.3psi appears to include the 14.7psi of ambient air at sea level.

So really, more like the 21.6psi peak, which is spot on what some other sources are quoting (most saying 22psi)

Edit: Regardless, you can't really compare pressure between different turbos because you need to factor in the compressor map and flow.

Think of it this way, blowing high pressure through a drinking straw doesn't really move much air out of the end of it.... a light breeze flowing through drain pipe is moving significantly more air with much less pressure. Flow is king, not pressure alone.

noone
14-04-2011, 04:59 PM
True about the flow. That's why people get a K04, better flow than the K03. Not as much change over the K03s.

Still dreaming of a hybrid, but by the time you get the FPR, injectors, better fuel pump, exhaust, etc... It adds up.
I would like the 220kw atf tho...

Gambit
14-04-2011, 07:12 PM
True about the flow. That's why people get a K04, better flow than the K03. Not as much change over the K03s.

Still dreaming of a hybrid, but by the time you get the FPR, injectors, better fuel pump, exhaust, etc... It adds up.
I would like the 220kw atf tho...

Yeah i am starting to dream of a Motec, built bottom end and heads and an BW EFR 6258 with billet compressor wheel, integrated wastegate, bov, etc rated at 375hp~

BorgWarner EFR Turbos | Full-Race.com (http://www.full-race.com/articles/borgwarner-efr-turbos.html)

noone
14-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Geezus, that would cost a mint... Wasted in a fwd.

gavs
15-04-2011, 08:02 AM
That 36.3psi appears to include the 14.7psi of ambient air at sea level.

So really, more like the 21.6psi peak, which is spot on what some other sources are quoting (most saying 22psi)

Edit: Regardless, you can't really compare pressure between different turbos because you need to factor in the compressor map and flow.

Think of it this way, blowing high pressure through a drinking straw doesn't really move much air out of the end of it.... a light breeze flowing through drain pipe is moving significantly more air with much less pressure. Flow is king, not pressure alone.

Damn, that's one hell of a blow job!