PDA

View Full Version : Bumpstops

rayray086
29-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Is this a "just-opened" section? Anyway, just realised this so I thought I'd make a post.

Bumpstops - do we need them? What are their functions? Would you need shortened ones if you fit on lowered springs? I've had mixed answers before, but want to know what your opinions are.

peedman
29-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Yes u do. I was told by mechanic at work that they prevent the shock from bottoming out thus ruining them.

Shortened ones, i got no idea.

Ps: yes it would have been smart to replace mine :rolleyes:

BL33SU
30-05-2007, 12:21 AM
how do these bump stops look like?

rayray086
30-05-2007, 12:40 PM
In the fronts of my Mk3, they're basically a plastic cover that sits on the spring plate. The rears consist of a plastic cup with a rubber "damper".

They're basically covers that go "inside" the springs and sit on the spring seats. I bought a set from a parts dealer and he was actually telling me that I didn't really need them.

pommy_golfer
30-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I thought that bump stops were rubber bits that go onto the shock absorber, stopping the shocks and springs from hitting a certain point and stoops the car from bottoming out too? e.g, like if the car is lowered, and you go over a speed hump, it will stop the wheels from fouling the arches or rubbing etc....

peedman
30-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeh the ones u bought with me are correct, exactly as pommy describes. For the front shocks they look exactly like the rears except are heaps smaller - then the plastic dust cover goes over that.

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/images/1H0412303B.jpg

gldgti
30-05-2007, 03:40 PM
In the fronts of my Mk3, they're basically a plastic cover that sits on the spring plate. The rears consist of a plastic cup with a rubber "damper".

They're basically covers that go "inside" the springs and sit on the spring seats. I bought a set from a parts dealer and he was actually telling me that I didn't really need them.

sorry mate, incorrect

bump stops are rubber bushings that slide over your shock absorber shaft, limiting the maximum downward travel of the suspension.

you definately need them, they are a good idea.

you cant get lowered bump stops, they would be pointless.

you will damage your shock absorbers if you don't have them and your suspension bottoms out.

rayray086
31-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Ah, yes, my bad. Recall now that the things I mentioned were the dust boots. Just that I've read on the vortex that quite a few people on lowered suspensions cut off one or two "bumps" to "accomodate" for the drop... they've poisoned my mind :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies. My bumpstops will not be mutilated and will stay where they are!

h100vw
01-06-2007, 09:11 PM
you cant get lowered bump stops, they would be pointless.

you will damage your shock absorbers if you don't have them and your suspension bottoms out.

You can get poly ones which are designed to be used with short stroke shocks. Not good to use the originals and then be riding on them constantly.

If you do bin them and bottom out a shock on a bend there's a good chance that a trip to hospital will be on the cards. We did this with a mates Scirocco years ago. Chucked away the rear stops cos they were Donald Ducked. The following day hit a bump on a nasty bend and as it bottomed out the rear end flicked out.

A trip to the dealers at dinnertime to get new ones prevented a repeat episode.

Gavin

V®6
13-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Hey guys,

Rather drag up an old thread than start a new one. My bumpstops on the rear wheels need replacing, I was just wondering where abouts I would need to go to get some more in Adelaide??

Are they easy to install yourself?

h100vw
13-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Take yourself down to Imparts on Main North Rd. MK3 ones were more money than MK2 ones when I last bought some in the UK. They are different though.

The MK2 ones are smaller in diameter at the top than the MK3. I'd still go with the MK3 even for extra dough.

As for fitting, They aren't that hard but you may need spring compressors. I have a set you can borrow, I think they in evorobin's shed ATM.

If you find a how to on shock replacement somewhere you can follow that.

Gavin

peedman
13-01-2009, 06:21 PM
If ur not in a hurry ebay.com it :)