PDA

View Full Version : Golf 3 2.0 waste of time? Or VR6 time?

bombsquad21
31-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

Im new to the forum but have owned a Golf GL 2.0 for 2years as well as a 97
Polo 1.6, for about 6months(more on that later) So far the Golf is great, I'm always toying with the idea of upgardes for the GL, but baulk when i see the price of vr6's these days, they are just much better value it seems. As the 97 Golfs aren't flying off the shelves on the used market these days I may be stuck with it for a little while. Anyone got any experience modifying the 2.0. So far the cars basically stock, spare for some vr6 tailights and a blacked out front VW badge. Anyone got an opinion?

DVR68U
01-02-2006, 05:25 AM
turbo :lol: then ull be able to keep up with us. look on the vortex for heaps of info
cheers brenton

bombsquad21
01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Yes i had considered the turbo conversion, certainly lots of room for it, then I found it would be cheaper to just fit the 1.8 turbo motor and box from a mk4 gti, which is newer and would have less kays, however I said cheaper...but not cheap, 10k for the front cut, and still have no leather seats or bbs alloys, can anybody recommend a late model VW wreckers? they seem a little scarse up here.

vee_dub
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
hello how r u :D

i own both VR6 n GL.....
Indeed GL is hopeless if u dont put either supercharger or turbo into it..but at least it handles much better...

i drive my VR6 expect to do the same corncering as my GL...i realise it stupid n wrong hehe soo much understeer and stain my pants.

it always depends want u want..

bombsquad21
01-02-2006, 03:52 PM
yeah I heard that vr6s could get a little heavy in the front end, I read some years ago..i think it was hot4's or something like that "real handling for your golf 3" they used a 2.0 installed a whiteline kit, sway bars, bushes and the like. I also recall them mentioning they could definately use more power. I really like my golf and drive it at least 35000kms a year for work, so i know where to find the power...but it can sure be elusive some times, especially when you have one or more passengers. It probably doesn't help that my car probably needs and injector clean or upper cylinder lubricant. I'm having some pinging issues under certain loads at the moment. Also can anyone recommend a vw workshop in Brisbane?

Golf Loon
01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
What business does a carby have on a 97 model VW Polo??

Sorry to get off task, but is it a carby, or single point injection that looks like a carby?

bombsquad21
01-02-2006, 09:19 PM
now thats very interesting, it looks just like a small carby just wth more electronic controls, I had heard some Cordobas and other Seats had a similar 1.6ltr, it sure runs like it has a carby, jerking around, bad idle. I used to have a side draught stromberg on my 74 merc, no where near as much trouble as this thing. I'm not sure what single point injection looks like? Do mk3 CL 1.8ltr golfs have a similar set-up, it looks like they have that carby-air cleaner thing?

bombsquad21
04-02-2006, 06:43 PM
is everyone on the vortex?
things are very slow round here?

Golf Loon
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I`d be very surpised if it was a carby. Does it have 3 long connectors and a fair few wires. Most of the Seats have this simos system, it feels a bit soft to drive compared to a proper multipoint injection.

vwrallycar
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
sounds like yours is a 1.8. the 2ltrs have a proper throttle body and plenum chamber

Golf Loon
04-02-2006, 08:59 PM
sounds like yours is a 1.8. the 2ltrs have a proper throttle body and plenum chamber

Yeah we are talking about a 1.6 polo.

I said MOST of the Seats have the SIMOS system, obviously the GTIs and higher spec ones have the goodness!

bombsquad21
04-02-2006, 09:27 PM
my golf is fine, big plenum 2.0 8v injected for sure, it's just this wacky 1.6 polo thats seems a little suss...i've only had it a short time, but it now runs like crap, and has what looks like a carby on it. 55kw from a 1.6? thats some inefficent injection...back to golfs, i'm going to install 'super low' king springs with stock struts etc. I just bought a house a couple of weeks ago so konis are out of the question for the time being..am i wasting my time?

Golf Loon
05-02-2006, 02:30 PM
I just changed a thermofan on one of these wacky little 1.6 polos. Its a quirky beast. A smallblock 1.6 motor? with a crossflow head? I though they only went up to 1.6. The thermofan was different to even the Ibiza and Mk3 Golf ones and was the same as a Golf2! Definately single point injection, not carby, although its hard to tell with the huge plastic cover over the motor. I think they raided the partbin to make em cheap.

bombsquad21
06-02-2006, 01:44 AM
injection it is then....thks golf loon. Now if can only get the thing to idle properly, also I know i'm in the wrong place but wheres the place to go buy a thermostat for the polo? the one that houses the temp sensor, i'm getting some pretty nice(sic) prices at the dealer..

Thermostat housing assy $140.00
Sensor $67.00
W/pump for 2.0 golf (i'm doing a timing belt) $378.00

Thanks

golfvr6
08-02-2006, 08:49 AM
rather than converting/ charging - why don't you just save your time and effort and spend the money on a vr6? :lol:

bombsquad21
08-02-2006, 01:44 PM
the Vr6 is still a possibility with a heap of positives, a couple of things tend to stop me though.

1.I really dont want an older car, mines a late 97. In QLD at least post 96 VR6's still run into the $12-15k mark.

2. No Automatics! a lot of vr6's seem to be auto.

3. My car is hard to sell especially in Brisbane, which is a shame cause it's a great car. And it still looks very nice.

4. Running costs, I do all my own maitenance on the 2.0l and anything i dont do alone is done at a workshop my best mate runs. The 2.0 is a simple car, and in two years and over 50000kms hasn't really skipped a beat. Some Vr6 owners report numerous faults, is this common?

Dont get me started on the 101 upsides of the vr6 though! I guess it comes down to dollars.

golfvr6
09-02-2006, 07:21 AM
for what its worth i have a 94 build manual vr6 owned from new. I do my 'servicing' myself pretty much with regular oil changes. the only 'problems' i have had:
- gremlin starting problem (probably key related)
- lost the fuel filter bracket (no doubt due to my aftermarket rock hard suspension shaking it loose)
- malfunctioning airbag - indicator light is on (not yet fixed)
- failed left rear window winder (not fixed)

Only other significant maintenance performed:
- changed 3 of 4 wheel bearings before 80K
- changed serpentine belt @ 80K
- changed rear brake pads @ 80K
- changed front pads @ 100K

To do: CV boot

The car has done 120K. So no major problems (touch wood, fingers crossed).
As for manual/ auto - I would have thought the majority of cars would be manual - but open to correction.

rokle
15-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I've got a VR6 and it's so much fun having hondas rev at me.

ffoff
15-05-2012, 06:02 PM
This thread is from 2006...

Mk3 AAA
15-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Woooo careful with this thread it's an antique. The only mate I know with a Honda would bury my VR6 comprehensively.

MattyT
17-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Beware when that VTEC kicks in, yo!

Mk3 AAA
17-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Beware when that VTEC kicks in, yo!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/4763319451_dc655b0ab2_b-1.jpg

...it's actually pretty dam quick.