PDA

View Full Version : Fuel: Where do you guys get your Diesel?

sTeeDi
29-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Just want to know where you guys buy your fuel?

My car was in for service and the Service Centre thinks that the starting problems I have are because of "a bad batch of diesel"

So I'm interested in knowing where you guys fill up....I live in Metro Sydney, but hey, if it helps others, why not say which Servo's you guys go to.

I've only filled up 3 times, all at BPs

Wetherill Park, Horsley Drive
Seven Hills, just off the exit of the M2
North Rocks (opposite the Westfields on north rocks road).

All three of them didn't have the hi-flo pumps....so I've yet to experience dribbling in fuel to my car.

ope126
29-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I used to own an Astra CDTi, I would only ever fill up at a BP outlet (not 7-eleven) as in QLD they stock the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel 10ppm.

You can do a search on the BP website for locations that stock this Diesel, most competitors only have 50ppm Diesel.

Glenn

sTeeDi
29-05-2007, 03:49 PM
d'oh! Based on the BP website, i have to leave Metro NSW to get any hint of the ULSD 10ppm.

Hmmmm good excuse for a drive.

gldgti
29-05-2007, 10:04 PM
i dont think using regular diesel will hurt your new tdi's guys - sulfur is added to diesel to improve its lubricity, so using normal sulfur diesel, though increasing sulfur emissions to the environment, wont hurt your car.

i mostly use mobil diesel, its very consistent and i would say i get the best power using that. -
i buy from:

berowra mobil, on the old pacific hwy
caltex, edgeworth
shell, hexham

all these outlets have hi-flow - places that sevice trucks have a good rate of turnover of diesel and will usually have good quality fuel.

also, look carefully at the servo's your at - its very rare for a servo to have hi-flow and no regular diesel pump.

cheers

aydan

mikinoz
29-05-2007, 10:20 PM
I used to own an Astra CDTi, I would only ever fill up at a BP outlet (not 7-eleven) as in QLD they stock the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel 10ppm.

You can do a search on the BP website for locations that stock this Diesel, most competitors only have 50ppm Diesel.

Glenn

10ppm = best for environment and your health!

BP 10ppm FTW!

Rod_H
30-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I try to use BP, and if I can't get that Mobil
I will not use caltex or any of those no name crap fuel joints...:rolleyes:
Forgot! Shell lost me when there Optimax fuel turned to crud a few years ago. and our local shell is run by a bunch of monkeys that has turned me off shell products for years to come...

DutchAussie
30-05-2007, 04:45 PM
i dont think using regular diesel will hurt your new tdi's guys - sulfur is added to diesel to improve its lubricity, so using normal sulfur diesel, though increasing sulfur emissions to the environment, wont hurt your car.

aydan

Slight correction. Sulphur is not added to any fuel, it is removed. The oil refineries desulphurise their fuels up to the required Australian Standards.

What ends up in your tank depends on the honesty of the people between the Refinery Gate and the place where you put it in your tank.

There are crooks in every business.

gldgti
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Slight correction. Sulphur is not added to any fuel, it is removed. The oil refineries desulphurise their fuels up to the required Australian Standards.

fair point, you are correct of course. i submit to your wisdom and humbly apologise.

thefullback
06-06-2007, 07:16 PM
A bit of inside info for you guys.Only 2 refineries in sydney, I know for sure BP tankers and independants load at shell.There are strict quality controls applied to diesel sulphur ppm and its tested many times before loading.there is no 10 ppm made in sydney yet, it may be imported. A lubricity agent is added to the diesel to compensate for loss of sulphur, it looks like the old STP. All diesel leaves the refinery < 48ppm some batches less than others. I have heard of whole tanks being reprocessed when tested at 52ppm.:)
I have recently had a lot of trouble with premium fuel of all brands and believe some servos are cutting premium fuel in the tanks, same could be happening with diesel.:mad:
i have no interest in sticking up for big oil but i know for sure 99.0% of the time only quality products leave:???:

neil
06-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Guys.
Had to have my fuel injector in my rodeo resealed due to the
introduction of low sulphur fuel a few years back. The original was
designed for sulphur to lubricate the seals.
All seals, rubber which comes into contact with current low sulphur
diesel I imagine would be designed to except this fuel.
Neil.

origin
07-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Guys,

I am concerning about this diesel.

Is it harm to our body the surlphur?:?

Is it possible to get cancer (ex : lung) ? If you are using diesel car..:confused:

I am thinking to keep this diesel car for at least 10 years but if it is high risk for my health and my family. I better sell it off..

Thanks for any reply

Cheers

origin

Bazzamon
07-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I am continuosly amazed at the lack of diesel smell from my '07 1.9l Golf. Apart from the occasional whiff when first starting up I really cant detect any smell. The stuff that gets up my nose is those 15yo Landcruisers when following them up a hill!.... Bazz

thefullback
07-06-2007, 06:58 PM
50 ppm, that is parts per million, on stream analysers to measure this cost over $250,000, were not talking lots of sulphur here, 10 ppm due around 2008, dont know the exact date.;) prior to 50 ppm being introduced sulphur content was over 1000 ppm and not even measured, this is all part of govt clean fuels policy.:idea:
Dont believe there is any danger from 50 ppm and even less from 10ppm. n: In fact our **** diesel stopped the introduction of euro diesel cars for some years.:
From what I know making 50 ppm has cost the sydney refineries (shell, caltex) over 50 million, 10 ppm will add another 15 to that bill.;)

gldgti
07-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I am concerning about this diesel.

Is it harm to our body the surlphur?:?

Is it possible to get cancer (ex : lung) ? If you are using diesel car..:confused:

I am thinking to keep this diesel car for at least 10 years but if it is high risk for my health and my family. I better sell it off..

Thanks for any reply

Cheers

origin

no.

diesel is perfectly safe, you will not get cancer from owning a diesel car. infact, you are bettering the environment by driving one - just trust me.

the thing is, all cars produce noxious fumes. petrol and diesel, gas etc. oil derived fuels have exhaust smoke that is harmful - but diesel smoke is visible, so we all have a go at it.

if you want safe exhaust fumes, run it on bio-diesel from a reputable supplier.

some facts about diesel exhaust emissions and using bio-diesel:

> biodiesel is a high oxygen fuel - it burns more completely, and so produces less combustion bi-products.

> as little as 20% biodiesel mixed with diesel fuel will reduce NOx emissions (causes acid rain and smog) by 70%.

> using biodiesel reduces black smoke particulate emissions between 10-60%.

> biodiesel has extremely good lubricity and hence causes less wear in sensitive components. it is a low sulfur fuel.

if you plan to keep your car for 10 years or more, you are to be commended! if everyone kept their cars twice as long, do you know how much less energy the world would need to produce? it is staggering. well done!

Altered Sprinter
07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
ULSD BP 10ppm already on sale in most states check which service station has it
Shell either has or is about to release it BP, is almost two years in advance of Federal mandates
Released by refineries due to Euro4 exhaust systems and the new EGR systems that are required to run on ULSD with bio fuels B20
Warning Winters on the Go Vic and NSW will be using winter fuels , high in sulfur and kerosene mix poor lubricity, use upper cylinder lubricants synthetic only and high quality.
Cancer indicators on new Diesel are not a concern unless your high on the sniff with your snuffle box, then again if the latter! your a 'Dead Man Walking"
I'd be more concerned as to solvent Toxins in your work place environment.
Richard
Winter diesel problems (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bp.com%2Fliveassets%2Fbp_inte rnet%2Faustralia%2Fcorporate_australia%2FSTAGING%2 Flocal_assets%2Fdownloads_pdfs%2Ff%2FFuels_Winter_ diesel_Problems_Summary.pdf&ei=Et9nRqXoII3SgQOgiumkBA&usg=AFQjCNFBxGKpBbL6sjFWMoXKYgW-kHLwUQ&sig2=O0s_pPnVwAVC1pwHCL4CGw)

GoLfMan
07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
look isnt there only 2 or three oil producers/refiners in Aus?
i know there is the big shell refinery in Geelong surely the fuels cant be the different?

Altered Sprinter
07-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Refineries produce to their own requirements
Mobil Caltex Shell BP Independents
fuel off road heating av-gas
Four grades of Ron Gas
Marine grade fuels heavy oils light oils Diesel different sates different mandates for emissions etc
fuel imported direct from Singapore , hedge marketing fuels sold to the highest bidder, most fuels delivered as bulk via transmix is separated via a small type shore holding facility for hydro cracking of the oils for separation to a prescribed standard
There has ALWAYS BEEN SPECULATION SOME SHONKY OPERATORS MIX FUELS . to reduce costs to maximize profits
Notice how fuel spikes on holiday seasons when oil has been dropping over the last three months, you see a drop for a short while and then it increases again but it never reduces based on supply and demand
Peak oil production has already been reached there are not enough refineries to keep up with global demands.
Recently as last month the Caltex refineries said producing fuels in Australia is not viable due to the low numbers of the Australian population work that one out,
US refineries shut down for maintenance our fuel spikes because of this US shut down maintenance period,
Yet we are not aliened to the US, or from OPEC pricing !you do have speculation and profit making, with powerful companies with world wide aliances, playing the same old political game, from those who control wealth.
Richard
Our refineries were fully upgraded to world standards only a few years back , [A] in part to met the new Euro fuel standards [b] so we now have 10pp/m ULSD fuel as a result of the upgrade, However the main upgrade was when longford blew up , upon investigation the maintenance on the refinery was so low , they Government steps in, and Say's fix it, or get out.
Games up.
Richard

origin
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks all for your input. Well I am keeping the car :D

cause fuel price :mad:

Thanks again

Have a long nice weekends

origin

gldgti
08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Last I looked, diesel exhaust contains chemicals which are amongst the most carcinogenic chemicals known. Point your browser, for example to:

http://enhs.umn.edu/hazards/hazardssite/dieselexhaust/dieselhealtheffects.html

And back in the 1980s, London taxi drivers (London taxis were all diesel then, don't know about now) were famous for getting bladder cancer - but they didn't have any special incidence of lung cancer.

The health effects of biodiesel are still unclear. One 'problem' is that there are different types of biodiesel. Most types of biodiesel have lower counts of particulates in the exhaust, and the assumption is that less soot particles means less carcinogens. But uncertainty still rules (some authorities have raised questions about increased aldehydes in some types of biodiesel exhaust, and increased acroleins). The most current state of knowledge is summarised by the US National Institutes of Health at:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1852688 (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1852688)

thanks for the good info.

like i said though, all exhaust smoke is harmful....