PDA

View Full Version : New engine?!?!

Hydrophobic
31-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I am pretty sure the motor in my mk1 (1500) is rooted, I am thinking of a new engine and would like some feedback.

One option is to put a 13b or a 20b rotary engine into it, or maybe just upgrade to a 1800, what about 16V or even 20v motors?? and then there are turbo deisel vw motors as well. I am after your experiences with doing conversions and which you think is the best way to go. Also I have no idea what any of these motors would cost or what is involved in fitting to a mk1.

What I want is reliability and mild performance (fast but not over the top) this is my everyday diver so relativley quite (motor quiet, exhaust loud)

Thanks in Advance,

Ian.

Golf Loon
01-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Easy option is to retain your carby and put a 1.8 in it. Any 1.8 GTI engine from Mk1 or 2 will bolt straight in. You need a five speed box to fully utilize the power though.

If you are going 16v, you need to convert the car to efi, which is a new petrol tank, pump and lines, or run twin webbers and throttle bodies, but they will cost you a packet.

20v is a big job and expensive, as there is a lot of electronics involved.

I have just recieved a container from the UK with 8v, 16v engines and gearboxes in it, pm me if you want a great price :wink:

gotrice
02-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Listen to Loon and get an 8v 1800 in there and go from there.

Golf Loon
02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks gotrice. I have a Mk2 GTI 1.8 engine with good compression for $700 if you want it 8)