PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate speedo on R32

Richo64
28-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Have noticed that the speedo is inaccurate by about 7%... it suggests the car is faster than it really is. Interestingly the sppedo is out of sync with the odometer. Has anyone else struck this, & is it able to be easily sorted. On Sydney roads & motorways, trying to juggle speeds is difficult enough without having to compensate for this.
Cheers

silk
28-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi Richo,

This, unfortunately, is a known issue, without much of a resolution :(

You can obtain an "uncorrected" reading following the instructions in http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=3420

From my experience, this is pretty accurate, but a PITA to look at whilst driving.

Regards,

mgh

blur32
28-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Have noticed that the speedo is inaccurate by about 7%... it suggests the car is faster than it really is. Interestingly the sppedo is out of sync with the odometer. Has anyone else struck this, & is it able to be easily sorted. On Sydney roads & motorways, trying to juggle speeds is difficult enough without having to compensate for this.
Cheers

Have the same drama, although at a measured 110km/h, i am over 10% out showing 124km/h on the speedo.

I have spoken to my VW dealer and they cannot/couldn't be bothered to offer up a solution.

Solution has been to use my Sat Nav and calculate actual v's displayed speed and commit it to memory...becomes easy after a while and second nature, although damn ridiculas that i have to do that!:mad:

anarchycamp
28-05-2007, 11:03 PM
This isnt really a problem....and its not just on MkV's or VW's at that...

a percentage of fault on your speedo in an upwards direction means that even if some small error was made there is an allowance so that your not going to get busted doing 105 kmph when your speedo says your doing 100 kmph.

IE..VAG dont get sued for people getting booked from dodgy speedo readings... :D

Im sure it can be altered, if you want your actual speed...use the Climate Control feature (On MkV Golfs) to get it..as silk said :)

jb747
29-05-2007, 03:41 AM
It would appear that VW do this intentionally, presumably so that they can't be 'blamed' if you happen to speed.

It's the sort of behaviour that drives me nuts. It's easy enough to be booked in Victoria, without having a maker give you an inaccurate speedo.

Richo64
29-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks Guys... it is a bit frustrating... guess it's something to live with.

angry shot
29-05-2007, 08:46 PM
yeah i don't think it is R32 or even VW specific (my Polo and Bora is the same). If you check out Wheels and such publications they sometimes list the actual vs the indicated speeds of the cars they test (at least they used to - internet has removed my need to read mags now).

GPS is the best source for speed and as blur said you soon learn to adjust after a while

i know from my bike riding days this was a problem (as most bikes use the crank and not the wheel for speed readings) and there where chips/mods you could do to correct this. in fact i don't think there is a bike out there that correctly shows speeds esp when over the legal limits

SoVeReIgN
29-05-2007, 10:09 PM
ALL cars do this - No exceptions. They are not allowed to be the slightest bit over when leaving the factory so they are always read higher than you're travelling.

Although european cars (VW/Audi/Merc/BMW) seem to do it more than others.

Ninzi
30-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I've had the same problem. I'm about 10% over too.

jb747
30-05-2007, 05:41 PM
All cars certainly don't do it, but it seems that all VWs do. And intentionally.

My HSV overread by 7%. Lancer GSR by about 2%. 3 RAVs, 1 MR2 and a Kluger were all spot on, but Toyota let the run down by having the Hilux about 6% over.

Whilst this might make VW feel nice a warm as they feel they can't be sued for any traffic infringement, it means that their drivers either become mobile speed humps, or they are denied accurate speed measurement, and must rely on quickly mentally recalculating the limits. It's hard enough in Victoria, with its minimal speed tolerances, without a maker fitting the car with an intentionally incorrect instrument.

I wonder if their power figures are also inflated....

drb999
30-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Seems obvious to me, but maybe not to everyone - wheel size + tyre thickness play a big part in the speedometer reading. So your speedo is bound to be inaccurate and the only accurate - easily accessible - mod you can do is rely on the GPS. Also from the viewpoint of a speeding fine + points, its good that the speedo is giving you 10% that you're not doing! :)

Put a GPS in the car and roughly measure what you're doing and if the GPS is not yours its not that hard to remember what speedo reading means what in reality.

jb747
30-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Seems obvious to me, but maybe not to everyone - wheel size + tyre thickness play a big part in the speedometer reading.Well, this might be relevant if we were talking about changing the wheels and tyres, but this is a case of the maker intentionally setting the speedo up so that it overreads from new. The error will get worse as the tyres wear.

So your speedo is bound to be inaccurate and the only accurate - easily accessible - mod you can do is rely on the GPS.I don't see that it's bound to be inaccurate. Certainly not to the tune of 7%. And having to buy or borrow a GPS, just to get some data that an instrument in the car should be displaying doesn't seem like a wonderful example of a quality car.

Also from the viewpoint of a speeding fine + points, its good that the speedo is giving you 10% that you're not doing! Yes, but it would be even better if it actually told me what I was doing within 1 or 2%. Especially as an accurate rendition of this data is available in the car.

Put a GPS in the car and roughly measure what you're doing and if the GPS is not yours its not that hard to remember what speedo reading means what in reality.Yes, but again you shouldn't have to.

flu!d
30-05-2007, 08:49 PM
It's a speedo....

....It's not the atomic clock.....

I say better to read slightly faster than slightly slower in Victoria.

Panman
30-05-2007, 09:00 PM
The law allows for a 10% variation/tolerance in speedos without affecting roadworthiness.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if the speedo is optimistic, I'd rather that than the reverse. Also, remember that a lot of VWs (and other VAG products) go to the US, home of the frivolous lawsuit, where if someone got caught speeding in California and could find any way to sue someone, there'd be lawyers lining up.

Unintended acceleration (Which was what the series of lawsuits ended up being known as) nearly killed Audi in the US (feel free to search on it).

I don't think it reflects on the quality of the product...... And I'm not worked up enough to turn it into a point-by-point argument.... ;)

Richo64
31-05-2007, 03:58 PM
My original post seems to have created quite a response. Thanks guys. What surprises me is the odometer appears very accurate. The speedo should follow suit.
I don't agree that allowing the speedo to overcall the speed is acceptable. Travelling on Sydney's motorways is always a balance of keeping at the posted speed to avoid slowing down others, & not speeding.

R3223R
31-05-2007, 05:08 PM
I have a speedo related question. On R32s, the 30Kmh and 50 Kmh dials are red, what is the siginifcance of 30 and 50?