PDA

View Full Version : V6 4motion Bora

qsilverza
28-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi,

I am about to purchase a 4motion 2001 with about 80,000 km's on it.

Is there anything I should look out for ? I am going to pay about 24,000 $ from a dealer, is this a decent price ?

Are they high in maintenance costs ? Also I have seen one with an Oettinger sports package. Does this firm up the suspension ?

Also,

What is this car like in comparison to a Renault Clio sport ? Anyone know ?

Thanks !

gpk_gti
28-05-2007, 07:02 PM
welcome mate!!

sounds a bit rich,,check www.redbook.com.au for current prices.
im sure someone else with a bit more knowledge of that car will post soon with some help.:)

qsilverza
28-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Yep. It does but remember its from a dealer so they normally stack on the rates :?

Thats what I bargain for ! ;)

JY Dog
28-05-2007, 09:10 PM
The kms seem low for a 2001 model but that, if genuine, is a good thing.

I have found that apart from services and tyres there have been virtually no maintenance costs.

My 2003 4 Motion now has over 105,000 km on the clock from new and is still on the original brake pads. This is the first car I have owned that has given me more than 50,000 km out of pads.

Service costs are not, to my mind, exhorbitant but they could never be called cheap. However talking to mates with Commodores and Hondas the costs are pretty much the same. An average service is around $300 and a major (every 60,000) can be $850 - 950 depending on thigs like brake pads. However I would not recommend skimping on services.

I find tyre wear is around 45,000 km a set and wheel alignment, especially rear, is very important. Get it wrong and a set of back tyres will only see 30,000 km.

However the reliabilty thus far has beenspot on with only a couple of minor rattles which were fixed under warranty.

Not having kept an eye on secondhand prices I cannot judge the price but I would suggest buying the very best you can afford.

However I don't think that you can compare the Renault Clio Sport with the Bora 4 Motion. A friend has a Clio Sport and the Clio and the 4 Motion are chalk and cheese. The Clio is a chuckable hot hatch (and great fun) but the Bora is a long distance cruiser which revels in give and take driving e.g blasting across the outback and storming mountain passes. But playing hamburger shop hero? No way.

Mine handles towing a small caravan or the race car trailer without the slightest problem and the 4 Motion is great off the bitumen. Mine climbed the track up to Apex lookout at Bright virtually at an idle in 1st without a trace of wheelspin. Very impressed.

I could be described as enthusiastic and somewhat biased about the Bora!

qsilverza
29-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome and long response.

I am going to test-drive both a 182 cup RSC and a 4motion Bora back to back today. Hopefully I should be able to decide !

Will let you know what I end up with or whether I decide to carry on looking :)

qsilverza
30-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, I have good news for VW watercooled !

I put a deposit on a VW Bora V6 4motion !

RACV inspection tomorrow, FSH all the rest.

Missing a few things like 17's, rear spoiler and the crappy 2001 headrests as opposed to the 2003 model year but other than that it's all good !

Will post pics when I get them.

JY Dog
30-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Congratulations!

Judging by mine you will be exceedingly pleased with your new toy.

Personally I think they look better without the spoiler. When I ordered mine I went through the option list but the spoiler was never an option for me!

Just keep the services up to it and it will go for ever!

qsilverza
30-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you,

Well I come from South Africa and drove a V5 Jetta (low power spec) every now and again, it had the spoiler,recaro seats and BBS factory Alloys and I loved the look !

I looked at one with an Oettinger kit on it and I thought it looked great.

Each to there own ! Oh I also got a tow-bar throw in ;) I am sure it will come in handy !

Don't want to swap your head rests hey ? Maybe two of my hole ones for two of your rear full ones ? :)

dre211
10-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Well, I have good news for VW watercooled !

I put a deposit on a VW Bora V6 4motion !

RACV inspection tomorrow, FSH all the rest.

Missing a few things like 17's, rear spoiler and the crappy 2001 headrests as opposed to the 2003 model year but other than that it's all good !

Will post pics when I get them.

the bora v6 doesnt come with 17's as standard. Only the limited sports version does and there are not many of them around.

as for the spoiler what color is your car and where abouts are you, i have a spoiler doing nothing in my boot which i pulled off the very first day i bought my car