PDA

View Full Version : Taking the GTi to Wakefield Park Raceway

yas786
22-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Day off booked for Thur 24/3. Travelling down with a mate and his Peugeot 206GTi. Anybody been there before? Any tips?

seangti
22-03-2011, 11:09 AM
awesome, keep us posted on how it goes.

kaanage
22-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Don't get too aggressive after reaching the top of the hill. You can easily understeer off the track if you try to charge down the way you can go up.

gavs
22-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Don't bend it, that's probably the best advice! :)

Don't go too hard until you know the car and know the track. Learn your braking points and corner entry/exit points, keep it smooth and don't panic if you're heading off the track, unless there is concrete of course!

Tyre pressures up, wait for the ESC to continuously kick in on you because contrary to what your dealer would have told you, it can't be turned off and have fun :)

Then, foot the bill for new tyres, brakes and brake fluid:)

kaanage
22-03-2011, 12:24 PM
There's not much to hit there apart from coming on to the straight.

That is except for other cars if you spear off the track and then run onto another portion...

It was intended as a practice circuit rather than a race track (check out the section at the top that has been removed (http://wakefieldpark.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=55)- yes it originally was that tight and narrow).

yas786
24-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Man ,what a day. Absolutely stoked at the performance of the GTi. And it had so much more to give, but being a first timer on the track, and with the car being so new I probably only pushed it to 70% of its performance potential. For all you guys still waiting for your GTi's, you will not be disappointed. And the track is where you can truly explore what its built to do. For those who have theirs already, I highly recommend a track day.
Bloody awesome!!!

kaanage
25-03-2011, 06:24 AM
And the track is where you can truly explore what its built to do. For those who have theirs already, I highly recommend a track day.

+1 for anyone with a performance model (or even a normal one). And no need to go nuts with tune up gear before having the track fun.

seangti
25-03-2011, 12:44 PM
+1 for anyone with a performance model (or even a normal one). And no need to go nuts with tune up gear before having the track fun.

motion seconded. I'd advise against a tune initially till you know your brakes will withstand the added heat generated by the additional speed (which is what you've said).

Good to hear you had a blast, the track is the only place you really get to learn the balance of a car, which people don't understand until they've done it. Good times.