PDA

View Full Version : Any news on the Auto?

PPPTIG
22-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I have seen the manual, think its great and the car for me. But I need an Auto. Do we have any further news on the Auto in regards to delivery dates, Auto type (heard 8 spd ZF?) and potential premium on existing model pricing? It has been a long wait and I am trying to stay focused!

flyingfridge
22-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Auto is at least 12-18 months away

phantomcamel
30-04-2011, 03:11 PM
2nd quarter 2012 hopefully

gavs
30-04-2011, 03:49 PM
According to a press release from VGA at the announcement of the scirroco arrival, the petrol, auto and single cab variants of the amarok are to be launched within the next 12 months but as many of us waiting on polos have found out, there are more lies that come out of VGA than anything else.

phaeton
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Gavs that's not a press release that's the journalists report.

gavs
02-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, true, though supposedly spoken through the lying teeth of the VGA CEO....

Junior_GTD
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
2nd quarter 2012 hopefully

I was advised by my sales manager that they had a V8, Single Cab and Auto which is due to be released at the end of the first quarter next year. Still not sure where he heard this from though??

flyingfridge
14-06-2011, 09:27 AM
LOL, that V8 rumor is a laugh. Will never happen.

Single cab and auto are 2nd quarter next year.

Sharkie
14-06-2011, 09:32 AM
LOL, that V8 rumor is a laugh. Will never happen.

Single cab and auto are 2nd quarter next year.

TSI Petrol version as well?

flyingfridge
14-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Believe so, yes.

Aparrently there is only going to be one more launch so all those variants will come at the same time.

Transporter
14-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Wait and see! I don't believe that some or all other car companies would have V6 CRD engines with +550Nm torque and VW would be happy to stay behind. :?

Especially, when the Touareg is available with V6 and V8 TDI's.

Bpilot
26-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I too would love a diesel v6 in the amarok. Would shake up the competition

FASTCRAIG
26-06-2011, 08:20 AM
4x4 Australia Rated the Renault engined Navara 550 as dissapointing, as an avid off road driver with an extensive background driving armoured vehicles (M113,ASLAV and Leopard), I REALLY cant see the need for any bigger engine, I spent $14000 on mods on my current truck, and the Trendline with 16's and a set of good M/T's makes my car look silly

Peter Jones
30-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I was at a dealer today and was told that they would be taking orders for the auto Amaroks in September with delivery in Q2 of 2012.

There's a limited edition Rok on display too with an odd mix of Amarok, trendline and Highline options.

buzuki
30-07-2011, 09:25 PM
there will be a v6 FSI model available.

phaeton
31-07-2011, 08:47 AM

What is your source ?

Flipper Dog
31-07-2011, 10:51 AM
What for the Australian market:confused:

buzuki
31-07-2011, 08:39 PM
cant confirm if it will make it to australia. BUT when using VAS machine the engine is listed when selecting amarok, and it only shows engines fitted to that particular model. Which would mean VW has already fitted the amarok with that engine, whether they release is another story but it shows a bit of hope.

Will try to get more info.

Paul_R
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Will the auto be a torque converter auto or a dual clutch?

Will a dual clutch work for really low speed off road stuff? I'm talking rock crawling speeds that are too slow even for 1st gear in Lo. I know a conventional auto will eventually over heat in these conditions as it can't lock up. Will a dual clutch be worse?

Just wondering.

gavs
08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
According to the repair manuals, VW have inadvertantly put in instructions on replacing things like coil packs for the 2.0L TFSI engine in it.....

calibrated
14-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Frankfurt 2011: 8spd Automatic & 132kW TDI Revealed (http://www.ausamarok.com/showthread.php?pid=4308#pid4308)

Hey guys the info you've been waiting for is revealed will post pictures as soon as they're available.

Cheers
phaeton

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Innovative automatic transmission system for the Amarok

8-speed automatic transmission together with BlueMotion Technology increases comfort and cuts consumption

Amarok with automatic gearbox combines high levels of off-road ability, comfort and fuel efficiency

Hanover / Frankfurt, 13 September 2011 - From the turn of the of year, the gearbox options available for the successful Amarok will include an innovative 8-speed automatic transmission. This new transmission system combines a high degree of ride comfort and good off-road skills with a level of fuel consumption below that of the same model with a manual gearbox. Consumption of just 7.6 litres per 100 km and CO2 emissions of 199 g/km set this Amarok apart in the 1-tonne pick-up market.

Sporting a new 8-speed automatic transmission, the Amarok is the first pick-up in its class to have a transmission system of this kind. The additional gear levels made it possible to achieve a broader gear ratio spread between the 1st and 8th gears compared to a conventional automatic transmission. That had some very positive effects: thanks to this greater spread the TDI engine works even more effectively in every rev range, and it is more fuel-efficient and agile. Moreover, 8th gear was configured as a fuel-saving overdrive gear that operates at reduced engine speed. The first gear is configured for pulling away in off-road use or when towing. Like the manual version, the Amarok with automatic transmission and permanent 4-wheel drive is thus also highly capable in all-terrain use without any need for additional reduction gearing.

The low engine revs that are generated also have a beneficial effect in terms of low-noise comfort. To isolate the drivetrain as ideally as possible from engine vibrations, enhanced torque converters with optimised vibration dampers are also used.

Combining the new automatic gearbox with the engine's Stop/Start function is not only something unique - it is also convenient. The driver does not need to do anything special here: when the brake pedal is pressed at a stop, the engine shuts off, and when the brake pedal is released, the TDI immediately starts up again.

In order for the Amarok's Stop/Start system to function smoothly throughout every phase, the transmission has to provide sufficient oil pressure to ensure slip-free power transfer within the gear-shifting components. Therefore, the system has an electric pump, which maintains the necessary stable oil pressure within the hydraulic system during the engine's 'Stop' phase.

This great technological sophistication - combined with BlueMotion Technology that includes battery regeneration and low rolling resistance tyres - is clearly noticeable in the vehicle's fuel consumption. Unlike comparable rival models, fuel consumption and CO2 emission values of Volkswagen's premier pick-up with automatic transmission are lower than those of the 120-kW version with manual transmission - just 7.6 litres per 100 km and 199 g/km respectively - making it the most fuel-efficient in its class.

The new automatic transmission is combined with permanent 4-wheel drive and a new engine: a 132 kW / 180 PS 2.0-litre bi-turbo TDI. It has a maximum torque of 420 Newton metres and thus produces very good driving performance and a relaxed ride - even when towing or with a heavy payload. The top speed of 179 km/h is reached in 7th gear. It only takes 8.5 seconds to accelerate from 80 to 120 km/h.

Relaxed driving is also assured with a trailer load or high payload. With the automatic gearbox, the Amarok's towing capacity has now been increased to 3.2 metric tonnes (up to 12% gradient) - which is a superior value in its class.

The Amarok with double cab will be available in all three versions with this innovative, powerful and at the same time fuel-efficient and comfortable drive system starting in January.

Cheers for the info Ben

joshdalt
15-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Now that is exciting news, look forward to having a drive early next year.

Peter Jones
15-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Very exciting indeed. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Have to start saving!

Hopefully we get some new colours too. I need a red one :-)

phaeton
16-09-2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/09/CopyofLI20110831001-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/09/CopyofLI20110831002-2.jpg

Sumodog68
16-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I guess V6 TDI would be a next logical step ?

Tornado T5
16-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if this is a ZF unit? I know I would prefer this in a T5 to the DSG's I've had, especially for low speed smoothness.

pologti18t
16-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know if this is a ZF unit? I know I would prefer this in a T5 to the DSG's I've had, especially for low speed smoothness.

It's a proper torque converter 8 speed auto

I have noticed that Audi seems to fitting more models in the USA with torque converter autos rather than DSG. Seems the yanks don't really like the dsg gearboxes in luxo/suv models

phaeton
16-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Yes its is like the ZF manual that is already in the Amarok.

flyingfridge
16-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Now that is exciting news, look forward to having a drive early next year.

Won't happen until the second half of 2012 in Oz

Yup, it's the same gearbox as the Touareg.

idaho
16-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Yup, it's the same gearbox as the Touareg.

In which case it is an AISIN gearbox.

flyingfridge
17-09-2011, 08:31 AM
In which case it is an AISIN gearbox.

Nope, it's a ZF

Peter Jones
17-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Sam, have you heard when dealers will be able to start taking orders?

flyingfridge
17-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Dealers can take an order at any time. As far as acutally placing the order with the factory - we won't be able to do that until release which we are tentatively being told is 2nd half 2012. The first cars to arrive are always ordered by VGA well ahead and then doled out to the dealers when they're released. The upside of placing an order now is you can leave it open so that you get first right of refusal on that dealer's early allocation stock - as long as you're a little flexible on colour and your dealer is willing to play ball you can pretty much guarantee that you'll get one of the first available cars. We can also talk to VGA and if they know that we have a customer with certain preferences they can plan and do their best to accomodate that order. It's always best to talk to the dealer you plan to buy through becuase we all do these things in our own way.

PPPTIG
15-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Bump on this one...any recent news on auto pricing etc?

flyingfridge
05-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Not likely to be known until it's right on the verge of coming out. Check back June/July/August next year.

phantomcamel
26-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Bump on this one...any recent news on auto pricing etc?
Add about $3,000 to the price of the manual, that should be pretty spot on (yet unconfirmed though)

Tony Tiggy
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I was having a debate with my boss about Amarok auto/DSG versions yesterday. He reckons they are available right now, I purchased a Tiguan as I couldn't get the 'Rok in an auto.

Are they available? If not when exactly?

Peter Jones
02-02-2012, 03:41 PM
You can order one now but it won't arrive until sometime after July.

The dealers don't have an exact date or price yet.

ZF 8 speed auto only. No DSG option has ever been discussed.

Sharkie
05-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Amarok MY12 Specifications now downloadable from VW's website.

300TSI now added to the specs, but no auto.

Peter Jones
05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Some specs starting to appear on the VW German site.

http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/content/medialib/vwd4/int_vwn/pdf/brochures/2011-10-cw-45-brochure-update/2011_10_amarok/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition_1.download_attachment.file/2012-01_am_eu5_uk.pdf