PDA

View Full Version : tempe tyres any good?

benissatan
28-05-2007, 06:26 PM
im going to buy some new rims for my audi a4!
i have 2 grand to spare.
well has anyone had any problems with them?
here are the rims i want to buy!
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=297

gpk_gti
28-05-2007, 06:46 PM
my cousin went there ,and there was a S4 there gettn rims.they wouldnt clear the big calipers so they got the angle grinder out and grinded the caliper a bit.:o .true story.

they are very cheap,but bounce off all of those tyre places up and down arncliffe/tempe and im sure you will get a awesome deal.

also check the rims you will buy for weight ratings are correct for your car.as ive seen a few rims sold by them without any rating.great for ur insurance co if anythng ever happens.

DubSteve
28-05-2007, 06:52 PM
LOL I wouldn't go there, I find that they are dodgey. Go in there look at some rims get the rims and then come out with your guards flared, springs chopped and half of your brakes out cause they weren't able to fit.

benissatan
28-05-2007, 06:54 PM
one of my mates went there. fitted straight on it was on a mk4. he hasnt had any problems in with them. was he lucky then?
where else is good to go? there is a place in the back of brookvale, i think its pretty simular to tempe but i dont know..

benissatan
28-05-2007, 06:59 PM
also check the rims you will buy for weight ratings are correct for your car.as ive seen a few rims sold by them without any rating.great for ur insurance co if anythng ever happens.

what does that mean? i think they are correct for my car, well.. on the tempe site, it has all the rims that fit my car.

gpk_gti
28-05-2007, 07:09 PM
tempe are good as long as you dont take your eyes off car or rims.as with any place.
load ratings are on inside of fuel cap,forget what mine are atm.must be correct to the car,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35
if its not and you have a "problem"they might blame the wheels...

evorobin
28-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I've bought tyres from them. Brilliant deal on interstate shipping however smoke without fire etc

benissatan
28-05-2007, 07:18 PM
i will go with a mate whos bought from them before he should know abit about them, hes a had a few sets of rims from them..

gpk_gti
28-05-2007, 07:24 PM
listen,,im not saying they are bad,,,infact they would be the cheapest in syd,,but just be cautious,thats it.Taleb tyres down the road is also good.tell them ADAM from DETRIOT customs paint(my mate the panel beater/painter back of arncliffe) around the corner sent you.stgeorge tyres are much more shifty,take protection with you!!:D

DubSteve
28-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I bought from St George tyres before and they were alright. But that was a few years ago to.

rayray086
28-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Those wheels look good. Never dealt with them before but I've built up a dislike for them with their abundance of chrome wheels. To be honest, upon reading the thread title, I thought you were going for chromies :P They have well-known wheels in that range, but none in the more "prestigious/race circuit" range (I'm thinking BBS, Enkei, Work, Schmidt etc). Just my $0.02 though.

That said, those wheels look good - did Fuzion have these on his Mk4 as well?

gpk_gti
28-05-2007, 09:08 PM
did Fuzion have these on his Mk4 as well?haha:D:D

BL33SU
28-05-2007, 10:50 PM
i bought my wheels from them. they crossed threaded all of the bolts and had to re-drill all the holes coz 1 nut broke off and the rest were cross threaded.

atleast they fixed it for me. but this was wen it was christmas time and they were all rushed and did a dodgy job.

SoVeReIgN
28-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Don't go anywhere near them - They are - There was a story on Skylines Australia a while ago about them physically assaulting someone after this person claimed they damaged his car - Surrounded him and spat on him etc.

Sounds pretty out there, but I've heard of way too many similar stories, a mate of mine got defected for having an incorrect load rating on his tyres and had HUGE dramas getting tempe to replace them - Ended up taking them to court before he got anywhere.

gpk_gti
28-05-2007, 11:53 PM
people dont realise what the hell load ratings are.my cousin got a set for his audi from them that were not stamped and I made him go back and they signed his receipt that they are load rated to his car(cough bull$hit),so if anything happened they were responsible.
also take care with redrilling as ive heard they do alot of that too....
when you guys go,just keep your eyes open!!

DUB 20V
29-05-2007, 12:25 AM
one of my mates went there. fitted straight on it was on a mk4. he hasnt had any problems in with them. was he lucky then?
where else is good to go? there is a place in the back of brookvale, i think its pretty simular to tempe but i dont know..

the shop at brookvale is good spanner they seem ok tyres are cheap got some for the old ladys passat

midget
29-05-2007, 09:28 AM
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=890

i like these ones, anyone reckon they would go well on my silver passat?

DubSteve
29-05-2007, 09:34 AM
What you want to be a habib to?

Do yourself a favour mesh and deep dish the best combination ever :D

gpk_gti
29-05-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=890

i like these ones, anyone reckon they would go well on my silver passat?
very nice mate,,very fat,,,give them a call or I think my mate gets them as well if you need a diff contact...

midget
29-05-2007, 09:43 AM
What you want to be a habib to?

How do they look habib?

not like they are chromies or anything

I like the mesh look on golfs, but passats are a different story

Flaps
29-05-2007, 09:49 AM
As I stated in the thread on vortex about guard rolling at Tempe Tyres. Free guard rolling with a rubber mallet...not very professional.

They have cheap deals on wheels though.

gpk_gti
29-05-2007, 09:51 AM
As I stated in the thread on vortex about guard rolling at Tempe Tyres. Free guard rolling with a rubber mallet...not very professional.

They have cheap deals on wheels though.
hehehe,,thats funny!!! doink doink doink

DubSteve
29-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I guess they look alright on a passat 1DUB2C bought some from them they look cool to.

Just that you see those kind of rims on a beamer with hectics or habibs in it all the time going down George St.

But black is good!

fuzion
29-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I guess they look alright on a passat 1DUB2C bought some from them they look cool to.

Just that you see those kind of rims on a beamer with hectics or habibs in it all the time going down George St.

But black is good!

AW MA GAWD BRO!

imo, keep clear from tempe. theres a lot better places who have better quality wheels if not better price too. and keep off the wanli and nankang tyres :P lol

BL33SU
29-05-2007, 10:19 AM
lol tempe have upgraded.. they give kumho and falkens now haha

rayray086
29-05-2007, 10:28 AM
The brand for those wheels are still more well-known for their chromies! For flat "plate" rims you can't go past Work Euroline's :D

http://www.mkippen.com/images/forvortex/audi1_small.jpg

DubSteve
29-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Amen to that Raymond!

What the hell is wrong with Nankangs lol.

gpk_gti
29-05-2007, 10:43 AM
wanli, nankang , sumitomi ... lesson in how to make your vdub sound like a 4wd coming at 500kmh!!!! dont even mention grip!!:o

fuzion
29-05-2007, 10:53 AM
wanli, nankang , sumitomi ... lesson in how to make your vdub sound like a 4wd coming at 500kmh!!!! dont even mention grip!!:o

LOL j:

Thats spot on!

The grip in the wet you could say is also suprising! too! lol

midget
29-05-2007, 11:02 AM
omg rayray that looks awesome

gpk_gti
29-05-2007, 11:17 AM
LOL j:

suprising!

haha,is that the word??? I thought it was more like!watch out of that telegraph pole even though your doing 50 in a 80 zone!! aaarrrrrggghhhhh smmmmaaasssshhhhhj:

wanli,,,,not even good enough for the swing in the back yard like the bridgestone ad!!!

VWEAPN
29-05-2007, 02:30 PM
i had my 19s puchased and installed there, the best thing to do is buy there wheels, theyre cheap but then get the hell out of there.

i had major problems their theyre a the rudest pricks. i nearly brawled and all!

crazyfiggi
01-06-2007, 04:27 PM
The shop in brookvale is goodspanner, i have bought my last two sets of tyres from there and have been very happy with the price and service.

DONT go to tempe! They are so rough there. A mate of mine bought a set of chrome 20s from there for his commodore. They charged him $80 for guard rolling and just bashed his guard lip flat with a rubber mallet, totally cracking the paint along the edge.

benissatan
01-06-2007, 06:46 PM
ive looked in bob jane t-mart thingy. saw some really hot RS4 rims $1500 tyres and fitting.. pretty god dam hot if you ask me.. but i wanted something with a deep dish! i might just carry on looking around further.. as i wanted something with a bbs style lol!

BlueVR6
01-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I haven't read replies so may have already been mentioned

A mate of mine got some wheels from Tempe. After about 3 months having the wheels he pranged his car (wrote it off) and because he did not check with his insurance about the wheels - and tires - the insurance company voided his car because: quote (from my mate) "the tires were unsuitable for the wheels"

so i guess if you still wanted to buy from Tempe CHECK with your insurance company

syncro
01-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Half of the cars on this forum have illegal tyres anyway.:?

BlueVR6
01-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Well i hope they don't end up in the same situation as my friend!!!!

Just a friendly warning :D

benissatan
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
:)ive found a set in good spanner 1900 bucks for a set of 19s soo hot. now all i have to do is get the car down there he he! sucks when your only on your learners.. and your mum wont take you down there because she thinks its a waste of money hhe he ohwell i will have to beg and beg haha anyone want to come with me who lives around northen beaches ha ha

peedman
02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I would gladly if i lived near u or i didnt have exams :(

Got a pic of what they look like? Going on that A4???

benissatan
02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
yeah to go on the a4.. the shop doesnt have a site.. and i cant remember what the make of them were. as i only saw them through a glass cabinet!

finemk1
11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
i think there all right, but mind you some of them had never seen a set of coil overs befor and didnt know what to do cuz the tyres were hitting the adjusters on the coil over, i saw one of them eye the angle grinder hahahah but got in befor they did anything, like some dudes said just dont leave your car, have a say in everything and if the wheels wont fit on your car, dont bloddy get them, they shift so many wheels per day they dont care what they have to do, and remember there not qualified, there tyre fitters!!!! any body can fit tyres

benissatan
17-06-2007, 02:21 PM
i eventually got my new rims! 19inch advanti rims.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/06/car003-3.jpg[/IMG]

anarchycamp
08-10-2007, 10:35 PM
OK so after reading all these posts about Tempe tyres you guys have scared me haha

I am thinking about getting a set of these...

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=357

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

But im wondering, if i do...maybe I should just pick them up with tyres fitted and go elsewhere (someone I trust :D) to get them fitted and balanced. What do you guys reckon?

Ive heard both bad and good things about them...so i dunno? :???:

evorobin
08-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Better still buy the wheels and get decent tyres/balance elsewhere!

anarchycamp
08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Better still buy the wheels and get decent tyres/balance elsewhere!

Yeah was thinking that, just not sure how much they would knock off the price just for the wheels, worth asking though! What would be a decent tyre (Not too exe, am sick of paying $450 a corner for Contis) you reckon?

FknDubbin
08-10-2007, 11:45 PM

I have had Sumitomo HTRZ2's and i reckon theyre a top tyre. They lasted me nearly 60,000k.

evorobin
09-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Nexen N3000 bang for your buck!

anarchycamp
10-10-2007, 02:45 PM
So got my wheels, yeah Tempe Tyres is a manic place...looks dodgy as haha

But some of the best curries Ive had have been from the dodgiest looking place, wonder if that works for wheels :D

I got them fitted, balanced, aligned elsewhere...avoided the angle grinders :)

VWEAPN
10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
glad to hear you had gone somehwere else. good work lol!

04bora
22-03-2010, 08:42 AM
im going to buy some new rims for my audi a4!
i have 2 grand to spare.
well has anyone had any problems with them?
here are the rims i want to buy!
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=297

I am very displeased with them, been there only twice and walked out very dissapointed both times,
just the service is terrible, i rang up and asked for an item, said they had it, drove 2 hours through traffic and arrived only for them to tell me "sorry we dont stock this item"

second time was basically the same thing

asked for a set of wheels for a certain car, drove to collect and "oh sorry we dont have your studd pattern"

after ringing up and confirming,
so terrible,
need to lower my car but not sure if i risk it again by going there

noone
22-03-2010, 10:07 AM
need to lower my car but not sure if i risk it again by going there

Um, they are not a suspension shop... I'm sure they could help you cut your springs if you are feeling cheap tho...

Golf Loon
22-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Nexen N3000 bang for your buck!

Got em on the quattro and they are the grouse.
Quiet, directional and speed rated for 300kph!

I have diffent widths and needed a specific size for the front two. Bob Jane ordered em in next day at cheaper than anyone else!!

JustCruisn
22-03-2010, 07:40 PM
My 0.02c

I ordered a set of A8s for my MK4. They offered some brand tyre I'd never heard of. I asked what other tyre could they do ? They came up with Kumho Ku 31. These tyres rate well here on the forum.
They did not have them in stock but called 2 weeks later to confirm they had come in.
I asked what the rating was on the tyre and everything added up. They asked what the car was and confirmed the stud pattern, thread type, and tyre load ratings required.

All was delivered to Brisbane 2 days later as ordered.

McDub
22-03-2010, 08:51 PM
i got a tyre wheel combo on sat, and was pretty happy with their service.
i made sure i watched them put them on so there was no funny business.
also requested for ku31's (they were originally going to give ku23's which i couldn't find any info on)
and the guy knocked $50 off the price for no reason.
i did have to wait a week for them to come into stock, but option 1 garage was also out of stock of my size...

the thing i find odd is when you ring up for a quote on tyres, they seem to know the prices off the top of their head because they seem to answer faster than anyone could look up a table. makes you wonder sometimes, but they were spot on i think what they quoted me...
i actually had someone who works with me call them up today for a different quote on a different sized ku31. 225-45-18 (rx8), and they said 180 straight away. yet you call another tyre place, and they quote around 300... so he was a little skeptical)
don't get how prices are so different, maybe it's because tempe don't buy from kumho australia?

goodfella
22-03-2010, 09:53 PM
my 5c!

Last year I called Tempe midweek and got a quote for 4x Ku31, phonechick (I can only assume) did the same 2sec response of 140each - for 225/45/17:eek::eek:

I wish I booked it in there and then! I went in on the weekend and they questioned me over who gave me the quote as it was too low. Some "manager" with authority entered the discussion and a few discerning looks later, we neg'ed on 150 each, Still a bargain in my books.. and the tyres were about 8weeks since manu!!

McDub
22-03-2010, 10:06 PM
option 1 garage quoted me 225/45/17 KU31 $138.00each a week ago... so i wouldn't be that surprised if they sold em to you for that
actually they also quoted me 235/40/18 KU31 $156.00each !!!
yep that's 18's!
obviously not fitted, but still...

lucky phil
22-04-2013, 02:30 PM
my 5c!

Last year I called Tempe midweek and got a quote for 4x Ku31, phonechick (I can only assume) did the same 2sec response of 140each - for 225/45/17:eek::eek:

I wish I booked it in there and then! I went in on the weekend and they questioned me over who gave me the quote as it was too low. Some "manager" with authority entered the discussion and a few discerning looks later, we neg'ed on 150 each, Still a bargain in my books.. and the tyres were about 8weeks since manu!!

I had a similar instance last week and I did go in on a weekday. I was looking for 2 x new front tyres for my car and had decided on what tyre I wanted. I happened to be on ebay the following evening surfing around and thought I'll see if there's any decent tyres on ebay. I found the exact ones I was after for $175 a pop compared to the $290 my local tyre shop quoted a couple of days earlier. Having bought from Tempe Tyres before and found them ok, the next day I called asking how much they had them for, they quoted $250. I thought yeah better than my local tyre guy but still $75 a tyre more than the tyre shop ad on ebay. The guy at Tempe could tell by my response of "ok thanks for that" that they weren't going to get the business and asks "do you have another price?" I said yeah I do, $175 he says wow that's sharp, (almost doubting my statement) I said yeah I know ,you can have a look on ebay yourself you'll see them, I even told him which tyre shop it was that had them and he knew of the shop. I said I only rang you guys because I have dealt with you before so thought I'd check how much you had them for. He then says, "hang on a moment", I hear him asking someone what their cost price is and he comes back and says "I'll match that". I said, ok great I'll see you tomorrow, he said sure ask for Sam. I go in the following day and see the guys on the front desk and tell them the tyres I'm after and the guy says, "you spoke to Sam yesterday" I said "yes I did", he says "that's a great price". I said yeah, they then tell another guy sitting along a couple of spots what I'm after and the price I had been quoted and he refuses to do it. The young guys I spoke to first looks at me and says, "I'll call Sam" and this other guy says "no, don't ring Sam, I'm not doing it". I look at the young guy and ask "you heard the conversation with Sam yesterday?" and he says "yep", I said "so you know I'm not making this up?" he says "yep", so I ask "so what more could I have done to be clearer, how else could I have handled this?" He looks at me and rolls his eyes and says , "sorry mate" (and gestures towards the guy sitting down a few spots along) and says "he's the boss and I cant do anything about it". I look at the other guy sitting down who said he wouldn't do it and say "I would have appreciated if you didn't want to do that price, Sam could have told me that yesterday on the phone and not wait till I have travelled here and then tell me". I said "I didn't ask him to match it, he offered". He says "well go to the other shop and get them for $175" (Mind you I had already pulled out my ipad and showed the young guys I wasn't lying and they even said to the boss it's all legit, he showed us the ad on ebay.) The guy sitting down says "well I'll do it for $185 a tyre no less". I'm thinking to myself that's still a good deal but was annoyed at their attitude so I then say, well I was going to get the wheel alignment as well, can you do something with the price on that?" the boss guy looks at the young guys and says do it for $30 (normally $40 for a front and $60 for front and rear) what the boss didn't know was when I first walked in and spoke to the young guys and told them the tyres I was after, I also told them I wanted a front and rear alignment which he quoted $60. I said yep do that please.
So the long and short of it is, I walked in there expecting to pay a total of $410 (2 x $175 + $60 wheel alignment), The fact was after agreeing to pay the $185 per tyre that the boss said he wouldn't do it for any less, they told me the total would be $386 including wheel alignment. I have no idea how they came to that figure because I was expecting them to say $400 ( 2 x $185 + $30) which would have been less than my expectations but I thought shut up let them pay for upsetting me.
So all in all they didn't do themselves any favours, bad PR as other customers (and those of you who have been there know how busy it gets at that front counter) heard me stating my case (which I think you'll agree was fair and reasonable) plus they actually gave me what I was after ( 2 x new tyres and a full wheel alignment) for $24 less than what I was happy to pay. Did someone say Karma.

dylan8
22-04-2013, 04:22 PM
^do you even use the 'return' or the 'enter' key...?

JustCruisn
22-04-2013, 07:58 PM
^do you even use the 'return' or the 'enter' key...?

I tried to edit it but too hard.

Got a quote over the phone $175.
They would not honor it the next day.
Settled on a slightly higher price $185.
Got charged $370 inc alignment.

Sounds like $185 + $8 recycle fee, free alignment maybe or just no alignment.

Hail22
23-04-2013, 09:07 AM
My advice is talk to Australia's best tyres in Sydney, got Pirelli Pzero 225/40ZR18 92Y for $220 per corner and they were manufactured in December 2012.

raybow13
26-04-2013, 12:37 AM
My advice is talk to Australia's best tyres in Sydney, got Pirelli Pzero 225/40ZR18 92Y for $220 per corner and they were manufactured in December 2012.

And who exactly can supply australias best tyres?..

Hail22
26-04-2013, 08:18 PM

Uhhh Do I sense a troll?

brad
26-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Probably somebody over Lakemba way

Hail22
27-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Probably somebody over Lakemba way

St George tyres, Taleb, Tempe and Australia's best seem to be supplied by the same organisation...as their prices are all too similar.

brad
27-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Not sure about now but St.G, Taleb & Tempe were all from the same family but run as separate businesses about 5 years back

BottomScratcher
07-06-2013, 09:53 AM
There's a couple of recommendations for Goodspanner at Brookvale on this thread. Here's my experience of them.

The front counter guys are friendly and professional. I rang and asked for a price on Michellin PS3's for my RS Octy wagon. I was quoted $380 a corner. I explained that I live nearby to Tempe, and that the same tyres there are $300 a corner fitted, and balanced. I said that I'd prefer to deal with someone who I think is a better prospect of not flattening my sill seams or scratching/chipping the rims while removing/refitting and balancing, and who has a generally higher standard of workmanship, but at an extra $320 I'd keep shopping around. I left my number saying that if they could do any better on the price to call me. A couple of hours later I got a price that I could live with, $340 each. I was prepared to pay more for good service.

Getting the tyres fitted was straight forward. I turned up. My car went into the shop. My car came out of the shop with new tyres on it. I checked that the right tyres had been fitted, and checked the rims for any marks. I noticed that the tyres were coated with a white substance, which I assumed to be the soap/lubricant used to help get the beads over the rims. It should've been cleaned off, but I was keen to get going on the close enough to one hour return trip so didn't bother to say anything as I needed to wash the car anyhow. I thought at the time that it was odd that the reception guy, who must've seen it (it was all over the outside walls of all 4), didn't even mention it, let alone have someone come out to clean it off.

I set off from Brookvale, and on the 80kph stretch up to Sydney Rd I thought I'd made a huge mistake. The ride was rock hard, and noisy. I was not impressed. I kept judging the tyres as road surfaces changed, but no matter the surface they were rubbish, and now I'm feeling a little despondent. As I'm coming over the Anzac Bridge the tyre monitor alarm beeps. "F****** terrific! Brand new tyres and one of them is going down on the Anzac Bridge".

But no. I pulled over as soon as I safely could, and all of the tyres are looking normal, so I get my tyre gauge out of the glovebox. First tyre is 46psi, second 44 psi, and so on. The monitor alarm is meant to go off when a tyre pressure differential is created by a tyre losing pressure. My alarm had gone off after the tyres warmed up and created a positive pressure differential. The fitters usually put in whatever pressure is needed to seat the beads onto the rims, but they obviously hadn't reset the pressures before they let the car from the shop. Not so surprisingly the ride became very comfortable, and the noise dropped considerably. I was now feeling happier about my new tyres, but a little less happy about where I bought them from.

A day later I wash the car, and discover that the adhesive rubber backing from the old balance weights is still on all four rims. It looks crap. I get in there with a cloth and some metho, and get it off, but it would've been much easier, and much more professional, to do it in the shop when the wheels were off, and regardless of who was supposed to do it, it should've been done before rebalancing not after.

So, neither the car or its wheels were damaged, but the level of workmanship was I think fair to say pretty average if not poor. More so given that I had explained why I was prepared to pay an extra $160 for the same product, and do a two hour return trip to do it. Would I use them again based on my experience? In a word, no. The front desk guys talk a good game, but the workshop side of things sees just another among a plethora of Sydney tyre shops. Nothing special. It's too early to say what I'll do next time around, but I suspect it'd be something like buy the tyres from Tempe or TireRack, and have them fitted at Spinning Wheels, where I get my alignment done.

As a footnote, I've done 3K on the PS3's now, including a return Melbourne trip, and find them a softer ride than the Conti Sport Contact 2's that were on the car when I bought it new. Bumps seem to be absorbed more readily than with the Contis, but without loss of feedback through the steering wheel. Having had nothing to compare to I had put the firm ride solely down to the suspension, but the PS3's transmit far less of the effects of bumps than the Contis ever did. I realise that Conti's are up to Sport Contact 5's now, but I suppose my point is that I'm quite happy with the PS3's, and consider them well up to my needs. Time will tell how they wear. I think they're a little quieter as well, but not so much to as get excited about it.

brad
07-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Why not buy the tyres from Spinning Wheel? They can usually get somewhere near the money.

Also, give Don Cornell's on Stoney Creek Rd Bexley a call. They've been pretty good in the past (assuming it's still owned by Don & the Gay Harley riding shop manager is still there)

BottomScratcher
07-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Why not buy the tyres from Spinning Wheel? They can usually get somewhere near the money.

Also, give Don Cornell's on Stoney Creek Rd Bexley a call. They've been pretty good in the past (assuming it's still owned by Don & the Gay Harley riding shop manager is still there)

Fair point Brad. I had asked for a quote from Spinning Wheels when I was there last November. The PS3's were, I think, $385. I didn't bother to haggle at the time as I wasn't ready for them then, and didn't want to annoy them and waste either their time or mine. In hindsight, I should've got a negotiated price from SW, who I know to be good operators, before going with Goodspanner. And you're right, my first instinct to next time buy cheap tyres and take them elsewhere to be fitted might save a few bucks, but if I could get quality work done under one roof at a competitive price then that's the way I'd prefer to go.

I forgot about Cornell's. I very rarely use the end of Stoney Creek Road between Kingsgrove Road and Forrest Road. Thanks for the tip. I'll put them on the list for next time.

brad
07-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Suggest you don't tell the shop manager at Cornells your forum handle :P

BottomScratcher
08-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Suggest you don't tell the shop manager at Cornells your forum handle :P

And on that note, I'm putting the brakes on where this converstion is going as of now.

BottomScratcher
08-06-2013, 09:12 AM
brad, You might be able to enlighten me. I remember when Matthew's at Campsie were a big deal. They're still going of course, but is it right that the business was sold and the new owner's continued to trade as Matthew's, and the original owner of Matthew's was the starter of Australia's Best (now Versace Australia's Best) up on Canterbury Road, Roselands? I seem to recall that there was some sort of feud over the use of "Matthew's".

brad
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
brad, You might be able to enlighten me. I remember when Matthew's at Campsie were a big deal. They're still going of course, but is it right that the business was sold and the new owner's continued to trade as Matthew's, and the original owner of Matthew's was the starter of Australia's Best (now Versace Australia's Best) up on Canterbury Road, Roselands? I seem to recall that there was some sort of feud over the use of "Matthew's".

Matthews was sold (and emulated - my boss at Wheels Rockdale was manager at Matthews for a few years). Australia's best was opened by the guy that was sales rep for Eagle Tyre Equipment (or similar) IIRC but who knows what silent partners he had.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ex-owner of Matthew's TS went & started again once his non-compete period was up (my wife's cousin does this with great regularity in the cheese cake making trade).

If the ex-owner of Matthew's was actually named Matthew then there is nothing anyone can do about. The trade practices act says you can name a business after the owner even if there are multiple businesses of that name. If the new entity decided to paint their building green (like Campsie) or emulate other "trademarks" of the business then that's a different story.

BottomScratcher
09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
brad, I know how frustrating it is when someone asks you something, you tell them, and the first words out of their mouth is, "That can't be right". So with that disclaimer out of the way, and no reason whatsoever to doubt your recollection of events, I was talking to a couple of older mates last night at the local, and here's their story re Mathew's/Versace.

They both reckon Mathew's had both the Campsie location, and the Roselands shop that is now Versace before selling the one at Campsie. They said when the Campsie Mathew's Tyre Service shop was sold the Roselands business continued to trade as Mathew's Tyres, and that is partly what the row was over. The Roseland's shop claimed that Campsie should change it's name, but the Campsie shop said Roselands was trading in breach of the non-competion clauses of the sale agreement in that not only was there an issue over the name, but the Roselands shop was also too close to Campsie to be trading as tyre retailer withing the specified period stated in the sale contract. They had no idea how Roselands got around the zoning clause, but they said they took some of the heat off by changing the name to Australia's Best.

As I struggled to remember if Versace/Australia's Best was ever Mathew's the Newcastle Knights cheerleaders started doing their stuff on the TV, and all conversation related to tyre shops ceased forthwith.

brad
09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Mate, sounds like your sources know more about it than me. I'm happy to concede to their knowledge. It *was* ~25 years back wasn't it?

Most likely the rep from Eagle was big-noting himself & was going to be the manager & didn't actually have any skin in the game.

We are talking about the same place aren't we? Cnr Canterbury & Canaris rds?

BottomScratcher
09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Mate, sounds like your sources know more about it than me. I'm happy to concede to their knowledge. It *was* ~25 years back wasn't it?

Most likely the rep from Eagle was big-noting himself & was going to be the manager & didn't actually have any skin in the game.

We are talking about the same place aren't we? Cnr Canterbury & Canaris rds?

25 years? Easily. And yes, we're talking about the same place.

Funny you mention "knowledge". Our spot in the bar is known as The Table of Knowledge. If you want to know anything about anything just ask us we'll be happy to give you at least four different answers to the same question.

sunny
14-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Do St George tyres, Taleb, Tempe and Australia's best stock Michelin or Goodyear tyres cheaply?

brad
14-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Do St George tyres, Taleb, Tempe and Australia's best stock Michelin or Goodyear tyres cheaply?
Tempe does those 2 brands at good prices. I don't bother with the other 3 if I'm happy with Tempe's price as i know there won't be a huge difference in price.

Easiest way to do it is to ring Bob Janes or Goodyear tyre & auto / kmart first. Then ring the others. Get the tyre size & load/speed rating of your tyre or vehicle tyre placard first.