PDA

View Full Version : 77TSI Oil Type

msolok
18-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Guys,

I've been doing some research but I haven't been able to get any solid answers. I need to top up the oil in my Polo 77TSI, however I don't know what type of Oil to use. Looking in my manual is lists the Oil for the 77Kw engines as "Unavailable at Time of Printing" which is of no use to anyone.

Is someone able to let me know what oil I need to top up my polo with.

Diesel_vert
18-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Looking in my manual is lists the Oil for the 77Kw engines as "Unavailable at Time of Printing"

Lol, that's helpful!

Assuming your car is still under warranty, any oil that you use must be approved to a VW oil standard, of which there are several.

The latest one is VW 504.00/507.00 and a list of approved oils is available here: (link (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/why-you-need-use-504-507-oils-fsi-tsi-tdi-engines-47140.html)).

There is also an older oil standard, VW 502.00/505.00, but not sure if you can use these oils.

Corey_R
18-03-2011, 11:08 AM
It's literally in the thread which was at the top of the list... http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f128/polo-gti-high-oil-consumption-56423.html

We've been discussing it for the past few days, including this morning....

msolok
18-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Lol, that's helpful!

Assuming your car is still under warranty, any oil that you use must be approved to a VW oil standard, of which there are several.

The latest one is VW 504.00/507.00 and a list of approved oils is available here: (link (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/why-you-need-use-504-507-oils-fsi-tsi-tdi-engines-47140.html)).

There is also an older oil standard, VW 502.00/505.00, but not sure if you can use these oils.

Yeah, Isn't it useful! I thought it was great when I was taking a look :P

Thanks for the Info. I will take a look and see hat I can find.

Corey_R: Apologies. I have been reading the thread you have linked to, but the talk there seemed to be talking about the Polo GTI, with the bigger engine. I was unsure if this applies to the 77TSI engine, so I decided to ask.
There also seemed to be some confusion in that thread in regards to whether the list of oils was applicable to Australia, or if it is more Europe based.
Again, I apologise but I thought it best to clarify for the 77TSI car instead of the GTI.

Corey_R
18-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah no problems.

ALL current VW engines use the same standard. 504.00/507.00 (4 is Petrol, 7 is diesel).

Diesel_vert
18-03-2011, 11:38 AM
There also seemed to be some confusion in that thread in regards to whether the list of oils was applicable to Australia, or if it is more Europe based.

The VW oil lists are not region specific, but it doesn't mean that every oil listed is available in every country - that's up to the lubricant manufacturer's discretion.

Corey_R
18-03-2011, 11:48 AM
The list is published from Volkswagen in Germany and comes from their erWin site.
The list is based on European information, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid resource for other countries.

As discussed in the GTI thread (between myself and brad), the list is a good starting point. You then need to see whether the oil is available in Australia, and if it is available, that it still lists the VAG 504.00/507.00 on the Australian botle or website/documentation. brad has noted that some of the products in Australia are sold under the same name as European counterparts, but are NOT the same actual oil and do not comply.

msolok
18-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks Guys. Clears it up a lot and is of a great help!

soulighter
18-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I have a 77 TSI too. My manual say use VW 520 or VW 504 for long life service.

I've read the above linked discussion too, but still find it useful for people to contribute to this thread too and their own personal experiences with various brands.

Also, do I need to top up when the oil level is right in the middle? According to the manual, I can top up, but I wonder if it's of any benefits to the engine or is it gona be any harm? My polo is 3 months old and has done 3600km. I'm not too sure what's the oil in the engine currently, but it does have a castrol service stick so I presume it's a castrol? I can ring the dealer I bought it from, but they actually got it from another dealer so I doubt they will go through the trouble to find out for me.