PDA

View Full Version : About Diesel fuels

maxrob200
11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and have moved from the mk IV forum as I am in the process of purchasing a Jetta TDi.

Much mention have been made about the quality of diesel fuels from different vendors. Does anyone have an opinion about the diesel fuel quality from United Servos compared to BP, Shell or caltex. The general opinions that I have read in this forum seem to imply that BP has better cetane rating than the others

Idle
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
With BP Ultimate not sold here, the general opinion seems to be that Caltex Vortex is probably the best (most reliable?) available in Victoria.

I've used United a couple of times and didn't notice any difference, but of course you don't really know where their stuff comes from...

However, the best advice seems to be to pick a servo with a big diesel turnover (to avoid condensation and gilhoolies growing in the fluid if it lies around too long) and stick with them.

Greg Roles
11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
BP or Caltex Vortex. Most important is using a busy, main road vendor who is more likely to turn over their diesel rather than the cheap, out of the way place that may have diesel sit around for longer periods. Algae is the main problem, and if the fuel is sitting around it can grow into lumps big enough to block all manner of parts in your fuel system. Rare, but it happens. Also highly recommend shocking your fuel tank with Fuel Doctor or a similar algae killing diesel fuel additive every several thousand or so, each service at least, Supercheap sells several types and it seems like cheap insurance to me!

I have noticed zero performance / economy difference between the brands by the way.

maxrob200
12-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Bought some Morey's to add to fuel just in case

IN2VWS
12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I always try to fill up with BP.
As for fuel additives, I use PM800 from PM lubricants in Qld. They send in the post, and they have distributors around the country.
I was a fuel additive sceptic for many years. Then one day I had to purchase some oil from PM lubricants. Due to the amount of oil I purchased, I received a free 1lt bottle of the additive. I thought "What the hell, it cost me nothing", so I tried it in my T5 Crewvan powered by the 1.9 TDI engine. I was regularly getting 6.7-6.9l/100km before using the additive. With the additive, I was getting 6.0l/100km.

John.

dazag
12-03-2011, 07:30 PM
IN2VWS - will be interesting to see if there is any difference if/when you use it in your new T5GP and see if you get similar results. Assuming the new T5 is running the CR TDI?

IN2VWS
12-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I'll let you know how it goes with the new van. I'll run a few tanks without it, and then a few tanks with it.
Might take a while to report back to you.

maxrob200
22-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Filled up with United Diesel, seem to actually get less fuel economy according to the gauge (have added Morey's to it as well) so cetane rating may be lower than the BP from my first tankful.