PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 GTI Front Grill Restoration

anarchycamp
25-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Im looking at restoring my banged up Front Grill, there are essentially 3 things I want to do to it.

1. Fix Break in top with some kind of adhesive/filler (Paintable - See point 3 ). Other people here have mentioned these as possibles in other threads...

Q Bond
Sika Multikit Epoxy Putty
Selleys plasti bond

2. Fix some of the broken attachment points as it is a tad loose from screw hols have ripped out. Im thinking of trying to find some non visually intrusive brackets, still working on that..any other ideas?

3. Repaint the black plastic and with some careful masking repaint the red trim. This one im very wary about and not really sure what spray based paints will work on that sort of plastic. Obviously a decent primer, but still not convinced. Thoughts?

Failing all this I know Golf Loon has a couple of grills for sale on ebay :), but without the red pin stripe which I am keen to have. Which again comes back, could it be added with some careful masking, paint job?

Cheers :)

Simon

aliasmk2
25-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Have you looked into getting a brand new one?????

The types of things you mentioned doing seem a lot more complicated than painting on the red & not mention you will never get a factory look with glueing ect & by the time you run around & get all the stuff you would be better off getting a new one
cheers Ian

anarchycamp
25-05-2007, 08:33 PM
yeah thats what im trying to sus out now....what sort of cost do you reckon i would be looking at for a genuine with red pin stripe?

I am one to pay that bit extra if it saves me mucking around, but on the other hand if it is crazy prices, then maybe not.

GTI Imports be an option for this sort of thing?

86gti
26-05-2007, 10:22 PM
ill have one for sale late in the year.(when my bonrath one comes along)
red stripe been sanded off tho :(
get em from ya local VW dealership...not overly expensive

anarchycamp
28-05-2007, 08:20 AM
ill have one for sale late in the year.(when my bonrath one comes along)
red stripe been sanded off tho :(
get em from ya local VW dealership...not overly expensive

yep think i might see how much a new one is worth....we shall see...

gtimk5
28-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I sourced a brand new one for a customer with red stripe and new lights 2 weeks ago for around $230 plus frieght. I got a genuine black badge from the dealer for $30. I will get pics of it fitted on friday, I yhink that I might be spraying the bonnet and guards on the day as well :?
Andrew :)

syncro
31-05-2007, 08:45 AM
GTI Imports be an option for this sort of thing?

He can get them with and without the strip. Very cheap if you don't need the lights.

aliasmk2
31-05-2007, 09:45 AM
GTI is a good option, if it is in stock, if not go eslewhere
The price is always right, but you can wait forever if it has to be ordered
Sometimes it will take 3 months just find out that it is not coming & then you will verbally assaulted for asking & wasting time

syncro
31-05-2007, 10:19 AM
GTI is a good option, if it is in stock, if not go eslewhere
The price is always right, but you can wait forever if it has to be ordered
Sometimes it will take 3 months just find out that it is not coming & then you will verbally assaulted for asking & wasting time

If he sources it from Australia it's OK, but I won't disagree for the rest of your comment.

gtimk5
31-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I have two in stock now at the moment nwe and am fitting one to the "spotted red CSL golf" tomorrow. They come with Carello lights and are have a very high quality finish.
Andrew :)

gtimk5
01-06-2007, 04:15 PM
As promised, here are some pics of the grill available.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/06/100_1601-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/06/100_1604-3.jpg
Cheers, Andrew :)

anarchycamp
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Well my attempt at some restoration went ok...i fixed the break above the right highbeam light (see broken lense) with Selleys Plasti Bond..dried quick and tough and was able to sand back nicely.

I masked off and resprayed the red strip as well as respraying in black across the top (was the most faded, damaged) and covered the sprayed area in a clear enamel...something my old man has used on a horse float repair...has an amount of flex in it.

That part came out ok, i am struggling with the attachment points as a lot are broken or weak. I think i may still buy a new grill but am happy with what i did even if i do end up replacing it. As always with these things, is hard to know what the durability will be like with unproven paints/enamels on plastics. :rolleyes:

http://www.agileworx.com.au/hosted/grill_restore.jpg