PDA

View Full Version : New Car Purchase Contracts

Coolio
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Evening Ladies and Gents!

Long (actually probably short, but in-depth) time reader, second time poster...I took a Polo GTI for a drive and loved it. Since then I have attempted to sort out a decent purchase. I have received a quote for a Candy White 5 door with Xenons for $33,800 driveaway with a January delivery date. This price isn't as spectacular as some others on the forum but I am definitely comfortable with it. My concern is that with the delivery date being in January, the dealer may hike the price on me. The contract includes a clause which is optional for me to sign but has already been signed by the dealer to the effect that if i sign it, i waive my right to back out of the contract. I am going to request that this clause be removed from the contract because obviously I don't want to get to January and find that I need to pay $35k or lose my $2,000 deposit along with the 10 months I am going to spend waiting for my car. Has anyone had experience with similar contracts?

Looking forward to any help you can offer...and the GTI!

gavs
07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately, that is part of every new car purchase contract, that bit of paper is not a contract drawn up by the dealer, it is a contract from the governing motoring body. Your dealer might make an exception but it will be a brave dealer to wave that part of the contract, especially if VGA issue an increase in the rrp. If they do, make sure it is in writing along with a name and signature o the dealer principle because it is them and them alone who decides on prices car are sold at, but again, I don't like your chances.

Coolio
07-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Fair point, thanks Gavs. This is my first new car purchase so it is a bit of a learning curve. I guess that is the hazard with buying a car like the Polo when there is such a waiting list. I saw it in another thread, but there just isn't anything that compares for the coin.

gavs
08-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Yeah no worries. If there was anything even remotely close to the GTI at that price, when I was told that the dealership in canberra wouldn't let me have the car they had on order (that matched my spec) in april and delivery blew out, I would have gone elsewhere but there is nothing that compares!