PDA

View Full Version : Any Polo's left in Oz?

PatoriaN
06-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi all,

First off, nice forum. Took a little while to find, but its worth it as it has great info floating around on it.

Just called a dealer and was advised of a 12 month wait with a refundable deposit until a non-refundable deposit is required when it becomes 6 months out. Yes, the GTi is an awesome car, but 12 months is really pushing it for me. Even the dealer was pissed, saying "it's stupid, I have a demo here that you can try but you cant buy it as I need it to show other customers the car I cannot get in!"

I noticed that some of you guys have managed to get your cars or get the earlier orders, kudo's to you! I;m sure you are all having fun (or soon will be). Does anyone know of any places that have any stock floating around in Australia? I don't care where as I'm happy to fly there and hammer it back home :)

I noticed a few posts with people saying they found one recently but no-ones saying where! If anyone knows of one pleeeease share!

crumbs
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Depending on where you are, I think Barloworld Glen Waverley seem to be getting a bit of stock. Or at least, got stock and are selling it quickly. They had a few GTIs just yesterday, not sure if they were sold though. A red and black 5 door, no options, steep driveaway price though.

gavs
07-03-2011, 07:29 AM
A month ago Bayford Epping had 4 that were available for October delivery, you could still add your own options as they were from allocated build slots, doubt they will still be available though but, you never know....

PatoriaN
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the updates.

I got in touch with Bayford and he reckons 3-6 months....I'm going in tomorrow for a test drive and possible order, my only concern is that they are simply ordering them without a fricken clue.

How do you know if its a build slot or not?

Will keep everyone posted!

gavs
08-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Because the dealer principle told me that they were allocated 4 extra build slots the last time I was in there checking on mine :)

Say that you spoke to me and that's how you know about it, if you want further info, shoot me a PM :)

GTI JOE
08-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Good luck with Bayford Epping, you may need it:)

PatoriaN
08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, I went in and had a test drive, they car does live up to the talk / hype. Very happy with it!

3-6 months quickly changed to 6-9 then 9-12 with 10 months + the likely wait time. /sigh, how things change...

They also said that the price is not negotiable as all stock is very limited, so for a 3 door, black with comfort is about $34k drive away.

Going to try a few other dealers and check some options from fellow forum members! (thanks for the input).

Bit annoyed with the pricing, shouldn't it be cheaper since I'm getting a 2011 in 2012 :P I'll see if anything comes to light and let other polo-less members know!

- GTI Joe, I take it that you had some good times there... :)

crumbs
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Yikes, that's expensive. It was that price for me with a sunroof, audio pack and rear parking sensors!

GTI JOE
09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
GTI Joe, I take it that you had some good times there... :)

Well, I tried several country dealers when I gave Bayford the flick and was successful. Funny, Bayford gave me the same spin "there will be no negotiation" they are full of BS and obviously the salesperson you dealt with may be the same scumbag that I had:(
As I have mentioned before to other members...GO COUNTRY:)

PatoriaN
10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Well Joe,

I did what you suggested and went "country"! Found one thats apparently due in July/August and can still choose the spec.

I have noticed with all dealers that they arent really doing deals...anyone else found this?

VW Convert
10-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I have noticed with all dealers that they arent really doing deals...anyone else found this?

Could be something to do with supply and demand, rules are as follows:-

Rule 1. You are trying to sell something where supply exceeds demand...........you are willing to negotiate in order to make a sale because the customer can buy elsewhere.

Rule 2. You are trying to sell something where demand exceeds supply........you are not willing to negotiate as you can always sell to someone else.

Simple. :-)

GTI JOE
10-03-2011, 09:27 PM
and....
Rule 3. You are trying to sell something where demand exceeds supply........you are willing to negotiate so you can actually make a sale and reward a customer for such a long wait;)

VW Convert
10-03-2011, 09:51 PM
and....
Rule 3. You are trying to sell something where demand exceeds supply........you are willing to negotiate so you can actually make a sale and reward a customer for such a long wait;)

And rule 4. If rule 3 comes into play, refer to rule 2.

Reality is, if people are lined up to buy an item and you get to the front of the queue and offer less than what everybody else is offering, the dealer would be silly to give away his profit and do you a deal. No way would I be lining up to buy a Polo GTI at this point in time.......another year it may well be a different scenario........just as it was with the MKV and MKVI Golf GTI.

PatoriaN
11-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, these are my thoughts, a Polo is really a want at this point and not a need. Plus ill be waiting months for it anyway. I'm thinking I might wait and keep my deposit and see how it pans out. Then bust some serious balls when the market gets flooded like the Golf :P

Just really really want one after that test drive!

GTI JOE
11-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Well Joe,

I did what you suggested and went "country"! Found one thats apparently due in July/August and can still choose the spec.

Oh, I forgot to mention, try various new car brokers such as New car prices, sales, reviews - discount pricing on new cars models - Discount New Cars (http://www.discountnewcars.com.au:))

PatoriaN
11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Nice link dude, cheers!

apples
13-03-2011, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=PatoriaN;634494]Well Joe,

I have noticed with all dealers that they arent really doing deals...anyone else found this?[/QUOTE

Camberwell refused to deal and told me there was a huge wait. So I tried South Yarra to see if they had any stock. The salesman at SY asked me what it would take for me to buy the Polo from him instead. My response was "A great price!!!"

So, after a few weeks of chatting on the phone with SY, I went in yesterday to see what deal he could give me. Camberwell was $23,500 approx driveway for the TSI manual (base model). At SY, for an extra $1,500 I got the panoramic sun roof, sports pack, tinted driver and front passenger windows and car mats. $25,000!!!

The delivery is due end of year but told the salesman to instead give me one of the first few cars for 2012 instead, so delivery will be Feb 2012. Ridiculous wait time but I really want this car.

- oops, buggered up the quote from PatoriaN. Tried to fix it but couldn't :eek:

pologti18t
13-03-2011, 03:58 PM
The delivery is due end of year but told the salesman to instead give me one of the first few cars for 2012 instead, so delivery will be Feb 2012. Ridiculous wait time but I really want this car.

- oops, buggered up the quote from PatoriaN. Tried to fix it but couldn't :eek:

So waiting a year for a 25K car is a good deal? And when you receive it it will be a 2011 build. Essentially a year old.

apples
13-03-2011, 04:45 PM
So waiting a year for a 25K car is a good deal? And when you receive it it will be a 2011 build. Essentially a year old.

My fiance had just bought a car last year. We had discussed when I would be getting rid of my current one and getting a new one for me and we decided end of next year. So it doesn't really matter that I have to wait a year when we originally agreed on 2 years. For insurance purposes, it will be 2012 plated model. Considering Camberwell wouldn't even budge on a price and would have charged $27,500, to me $25k sounded good to me. So what if it's a year wait - it's no skin off my nose.

Frostee
13-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Well Joe,

It's the age old equation of supply and demand. In the case of Polo's in Australia it's a supply balance that favors the Seller.

I reckon you need to accept you pay list price and try and find a few little extras that the Dealer has control over, but don't expect any bargains.

By the way I was watching CNN the other day and VW presented their results. The commentary that I didn't hear completely made some connection between VW and Toyota, and that some are projecting VW will overtake Toyota. Anyway, the growth of VW in the past year was attributed to demand in China. I'm not sure what5 models are being sold in China but it doesn't take a lot of thought to work out where VW will focus its production capacity (without the need to accommodate the minority small markets such as Aus that have RHD config)

sVWatt
13-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Agree with Frostee on the limited supply keeping pricing at or very near list price. But I don't think China is stealing RHD or other capacity. The RHD UK is a big market segment for VW and we benefit from that. I think VW has chosen to limit supply to AUS to keep prices high. VW is a premium product here - not so in the UK. VW AUDI have done some great differentiated market positioning to keep us keen. Look at UK or USA pricing and you will see we pay more. They will say we have different configurations and local considerations, but after all the waffle...you still pay more than a dubber else where.

Why flood the market and compete on price with the Korean stuff. When you can market to people and convince them that the brand means more than the function ?

Keeping supply lean keeps us keen.

kreuze
13-03-2011, 09:24 PM
India is taking a lot of them. There are HEAPS of base model Polo's there and I mean A LOT.

GTI JOE
14-03-2011, 06:58 AM
India is taking a lot of them. There are HEAPS of base model Polo's there and I mean A LOT.

Can't figure it out? Their population is only marginally more than ours;)

Miles Away
14-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Try having a look at the dealers in Wagga Wagga and in the Barossa.

I live in Sydney and after getting screwed by a dealer here i bought mine from Tamworth and had it at my front door within the week. Wagga and Barossa were the only people with stock.

Gambit
14-03-2011, 11:11 AM
yeah as previously mentioned defiantly call regional dealers, they sometime don't even list on carsales etc etc, apparently every dealer gets at least one allocation. I myself could not located a GTI anywhere but Horsham which was a 4 hour drive from Melb. I think they mentioned getting another in early April?

snedden9485
15-03-2011, 10:37 AM
They wont do any deals because they know that there is zero supply and a high demand, so people are willing to pay top dollar for the cars.

payno
17-03-2011, 12:16 PM
There looks to be a 3 door black one with audio pack available in Sydney. Just gone up on carsales today and says available for immediate delivery..

2011 VOLKSWAGEN POLO GTI DSG 6R MY11 Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10278993&keywords=&trecs=399&__sid=12614D95349C&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=true&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294962746% 204294962745&silo=1011)

Gambit
17-03-2011, 12:44 PM
When I was in south yarra 3weeks ago there was a red 3 dr manual on the showroom floor, did not ask if it was for sale though, and not sure if it is still there.

pologti18t
17-03-2011, 01:13 PM
There looks to be a 3 door black one with audio pack available in Sydney. Just gone up on carsales today and says available for immediate delivery..

2011 VOLKSWAGEN POLO GTI DSG 6R MY11 Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10278993&keywords=&trecs=399&__sid=12614D95349C&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=true&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294962746% 204294962745&silo=1011)

A 3 door ex-demo for 36K.... giggle.

gavs
17-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, read the unwritten disclaimer from all dealers, "we can't actually sell this one until we get the go-ahead from VGA, but you're welcome to come and take a test drive and place an order for a new one at that price, due in june next year...."

Random pic of teh outlander is probably in there to say "yeah, we have this outlander oyu can have instead...."

GTI JOE
17-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, read the unwritten disclaimer from all dealers, "we can't actually sell this one until we get the go-ahead from VGA, but you're welcome to come and take a test drive and place an order for a new one at that price, due in june next year...."

Random pic of teh outlander is probably in there to say "yeah, we have this outlander oyu can have instead...."

Good Lord, when will this crap end...buy one get one free..yeah free jerking around that is!