PDA

View Full Version : Extra lights for rural driving

JaneAusten
06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Dear experts,

Due to my posting to a rural town in the near future, I want to fit a pair of driving lights to my 6R polo GTI. I've done some reading and decided to go for a two-light combination, one spread, one pencil beam, probably in the lightforce/ hella range.

Anyhow, the installation guides tell me that there needs to be a connection to the battery, which we all know is in the boot for the new Polo. I am wondering if anyone has any idea how this can be done without tmodifying the car too much (the post is only for 16 weeks, so a reversible solution would be fantastic). Also in terms of mounting the light at the front of the car, I found this:

Eagle Products Unibar Lighting Bracket (http://www.eagleproducts.com.au/products_unibar.php)

In terms of switch placement for the lights, is there a way I can wire them with the highbeams/ foglights in such a way that they can be switched on using the existing switches? (Ie steering wheel stalk/ switch on the right)

Any input/ comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Much love,
JA

ian
06-03-2011, 03:37 PM
You would find that the main power from the battery goes firstly to the starter motor so you should be able to get live feed from there.

gavs
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
With aftermarket driving lights, to comply with ADRs you need to have them wired into the highbeam circuit along with a switch to turn on and off with the highbrows still on. Without ever correctly wiring driving lights in my time, I always did it the easy way, the guys at work can hook up a pair of IPF hids in about 2 hours including ballasts etc. Any of those numberplate mounts will work fine and the beauty of them is you can always pull them off:) just paint it black, chrome won't fit in on a gti:)

William_Foster
06-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Jane,

Firstly I apologise if I have gone off a tagent in this reply; but hopefully it helps.

Not sure where about you are heading; but from my experience in rural NSW this may be an overkill and not really improve your safety. Modern headlights do a pretty good job of lighting the way in front and in normal rural conditions you probably don't need much more light there; the area which I found extra light was useful was with driving lights [Before I get in trouble, it may be fog lights, driving lights or whatever I am meant to call them] which light up the sides of the road a bit better and allow you to avoid roadkill and over such issues. The biggest issue in the bush is the live animals coming from the side; unfortunately no lights will help you with that; i.e. spooked kangaroos, pigs, emus etc.

Probably the best thing you can do for your own safety is be careful when you drive; dawn and dusk are the worst for animals; and driving West after 4:00pm on a flat rural road is going to cause issues because of the setting sun. Pay attention to what the locals in the area say as they will generally know what is going on, and make sure you give yourself conservative times to do each trip; speeding appears fine on rural roads 99% of the time, but then a camel wanders in front of you and it can all turn badly very quickly.

One last piece of advice, if possible consider not taking the Polo; although it is a pretty safe car in normal city conditions; hitting a kangaroo at speed is probably going to test its limits. If your work has any provisions for it consider taking a 4WD or larger car.

Hope this helps; enjoy your time in rural Australia.

JaneAusten
07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks everybody. I will look closer into this matter after my exams. And Will, thank you for your concern, I really do hope the stock highbeams will be adequate, at this stage I am not too sure where I will be sent yet, friend of mine got sent to Mt Morgan and another to Thursday Island and apparently a lot of the roads up there are not lit. I hope I won't have to do too much night driving but you never with emergencies. This is for my rural rotation which is a part of my MBBS. Fun fun.