PDA

View Full Version : 77TSI Custom air filter: How To

jaedencook
05-03-2011, 11:15 PM
This was in another thread but I've moved it here in the hope its easy to find for anyone who needs a starting point for this sort of thing.

My custom air system - The final product:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/0bba77d6-1.jpg

The old Air filter for those that haven't popped it open to see, the 77TSI doesn't use a panel filter... there is a panel filter listed on K&N, but its for the N\A model of polo or 1.4:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/c2293086-1.jpg

Our idea came from the fact that the old filter is a pod shape, held into place against the TOP pipe entrance of the air box facing the bottom of the box (so straight up and down.) It was held with a screw mechanism, so twisting the whole filter to the left popped it off.
We then used some screws to mount a pod filter adapter plate over the part where the old filter screwed on:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/d8a4c56a-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/1a8816e3-1.jpg

The end result meant a pod filter (K&N) could be affixed to the plate and covering the entrance exactly where the old one sat.

First off:

Undo the butterfly clip holding the intake pipe to the airbox and pull the pipe off, I've also marked the PCV pipe, this is very fragile as the part where it connects to the main intake pipe is held with very thin plastic on the inside, handle with caution.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/9243df99-1.jpg

Undo the 6 screws holding the top of the air box down:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/2e9fe8f61-1.jpg

Now the rest I don't have pics of but once you've gotten this far and so long as you apply common sense (and if I'm typing this descriptively enough of course) then the remainder should all make sense enough..
Take the top of the airbox off, the old filter is attached to this and will also come out with it - lift it straight up.
While holding the removed piece of airbox, twist the old filter to the left. The entire thing will pop off.

You can now fix the Pod adapter plate over the hole that the old filter covered. From there attach the Pod filter, now we tried various different filters (straight, pod and cone) what we found to fit the odd shape of the box most was the cone filter, it isn't quite as deep as a full pod filter and had the perfect circumference to fit into the bottom half of the airbox (Notice also that there is a cylindrical piece of plastic that come UP from the bottom of the airbox, this stopped us from being able to fit deeper filters.
Those daring enough feel free to cut it. But my goal was to do this without too much destruction of the original setup.

The two products I used:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/Cone-1.jpg

When buying the adapter be sure to check the circumference of the hole that the old filter covered so that you can match it and not have any leaks. i believe it was a 3" circumference but I could be wrong.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/jjrafmadapters-1.jpg

I'm open for suggestions on improvement, but please; constructive criticism only.
If anyone has questions I'm also open to PM and can give out my mobile number too.

You'll probably notice my filter it pure silver... thats because I'm trying out the new stainless steel filter range, it uses a very very tight weave of metal instead of fabric and metal, the advantage is no fabric at all means much much less restriction on airflow and an easy hose out to clean it... some might argue that it wont catch all dirt or might let drops of moisture through, but in my opinion anything getting past the weave on that baby would likely get through fabric weave anyway and as for moisture, it would likely dry out from the airflow and atmosphere in the piping long before it gets anywhere else... unless you jam hose down there :facepalm:

Casper
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the write-up! Can you give us an idea on prices?

Also, do you know the actual part numbers of the filter and adaptor? Thanks again!

Eshreff
06-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Good work, and which brand is that steel cotton filter?

By the way;

If you are familiar with Pipercross foam filters, they have released new filters for TSI-TDI engines. 2010-11 Polo's are using POD filters i guess. The Pipercross PX1819 is suitable for new Polo, ibiza, fabia airboxes (but check the filter shape first)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/PX1819Medium-1.jpg

Pipercross have just released two new panel filters for the VAG market and to make it even better we are the first performance filter company out with one of them!
The two new filters are available now and fit the following vehicles:
PX1818 – VAG 2.0 FSI, 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI Golf, A3, Leon variants @ £44.99 inc. vat
PX1819 – VAG 1.2/1.4 TSI & TDI Polo, A1, Ibiza, Fabia @ £59.99 inc. vat EXCLUSIVE, the first performance air filter for this model!!!
Both the filters use identical fittings to the OE part so fitting is a breeze, so do your engine a favour and let it breath a sigh of relief with a new Pipercross air filter.

jaedencook
06-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Can't say I'm familiar with them, I'd be interested to find a reseller to have a look at the material.
The brand i used is DRIFT, total for my modification was 90 bux.
I don't have the part numbers anymore but i can give the Autobarn part numbers if anyone wants them?

Casper
06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't have the part numbers anymore but i can give the Autobarn part numbers if anyone wants them?

Yes please!

jaedencook
06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
PE10660 D1-30594925-US

Is the air filter

PE10670 D1-PA-11

Is the adapter plate.

The numbers are from the reciept and should be what Autobarn use to inventory the products.

Gambit
07-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Ah i see what you have done, and its a great idea. Retain the airbox and place a higher flow pod filter in it.

Hooti3
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Noticed any increase in induction noise?

jaedencook
07-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Actually I was listening to it this morning on my way to work... I think the turbo spool has got louder, sounds bigger and has a definate louder woosh sound.

As for the sucking 'induction' sound, definantly an improvement. There would be even more so with a fabric K&N filter (as mine is all metal.)

Another thing I've noticed is a deep gruntier note from the engine and even idling there is a deeper exhaust note when you stand behind the car.

bigfoot
07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
If you are familiar with Pipercross foam filters, they have released new filters for TSI-TDI engines. 2010-11 Polo's are using POD filters i guess. The Pipercross PX1819 is suitable for new Polo, ibiza, fabia airboxes (but check the filter shape first)

have you tried one of those yet Eşref bey?

broxigar1983
21-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Looks like K&N finally released (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-2997) an air filter for the 77TSI!

Now the only issue is to find someone that sells these locally in Perth or online...

JexL
21-03-2011, 06:17 PM
awesome find!

GTI JOE
21-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Will this fit the Polo GTI (new one):)

broxigar1983
21-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Will this fit the Polo GTI (new one):)

They do say that it will fit on the "2011 VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.4L L4 F/I - Turbo" but I don't know if that is the GTI.

Would have asked you to check your filter, but I see you are still waiting for your GTI :(

Eshreff
21-03-2011, 09:17 PM
have you tried one of those yet Eşref bey?

been waiting for the shipment for 2 weeks. I've been told that there is a huge demand for aftermarket filters for 2011 model VAG group cars.

It is good to see KN has released a closed air filter for 2011 1.4tsi. It will surely fit GTI.

For my opinion, pipercross' filter better, kn's sound better =)

gavs
22-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I remember researching on a Toyota Soarer site some years back now and someone had posted a finding from doing airflow and filtration testing on air filters, K&N weren't that great, in fact, bar the drop-in replacement filter made by AC Delco (who make many OE filters) the factory filter was the bast of them all.

So when I read on the K&N, BMC sites etc, I have a sly giggel when they say
"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration." Does this mean that if the factory filter is flawless in it's filtration, you are getting a substandrd filtration from K&N?

pologti18t
22-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I remember researching on a Toyota Soarer site some years back now and someone had posted a finding from doing airflow and filtration testing on air filters, K&N weren't that great, in fact, bar the drop-in replacement filter made by AC Delco (who make many OE filters) the factory filter was the bast of them all.

So when I read on the K&N, BMC sites etc, I have a sly giggel when they say Does this mean that if the factory filter is flawless in it's filtration, you are getting a substandrd filtration from K&N?

It's true, K&N etc are a waste of $$$$

broxigar1983
22-03-2011, 01:11 PM
It's true, K&N etc are a waste of $$$$

Might not get the extra 1000000 horsepower, but the engine does sound better :)

gavs
22-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but what good is sound if you are sucking in more crap and losing power due to poor filter design. i have said it before, these companies literally spend millions upon millions of dollars creating engines that work better/stronger/faster/more fuel efficient than their competitiors and their own previous engine designs, the 1.4 twincharged engine is a good example of this. While K&N is a renowned filter builder around the world, I would bet that especially in the GTI motor, VAG have spent considerable dollars in developing that specific filter to operate at it’s peak for the required service period. Even if it’s only 1 engineer and it takes him 12 months, on an average mechanical/automotive engineer’s salary, that could be $70k - $80k worth of man hours in development alone, I’m sure K&N don’t spend that.

Unlike chassis tunes are different in that there is a compromise to meet the comfort etc of the mass market and different road surfaces. Engines are meant to all run the same for every customer (except when VAG put stupid hot weather tunes on some cars and not others...).

kam
15-12-2012, 12:42 PM
bump for this thread: is there an easy way to remove this hose clamp ?!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/9243df99-1.jpg

done some searching, and they appear to be very difficult to get off

unfortunatly the pliers i have are too small to grab both ends and squeeze, any recommendations ?

nomadx38
15-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I just used adjustable pliers. Adjustable pliers, or Mulitgrips will do the job just fine.

PoloDave
16-12-2012, 01:26 AM
you dont need to take the hose off if you are just going to replace the filter, it will flex enough. Other than that: bigger pliers

kam
16-12-2012, 08:47 AM
not sure if its because my car has less than 200km's on it, but i didnt notice any difference ? Have read that people notice louder spooling & more pull, but, felt exactly the same to me to be honest...

nomadx38
16-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Your performance gains will be mostly down low as the flow through filter will prevent a vacuum on the pipe causing lag but up high it may not offer much of a gain. This is because at the end of the day it is a 1.2L engine so the amount of air you are acually sucking is quite small in comparison to a 5.7v8. This also is why there is little gain in noise, so It's not quite noticeable.

The filter did give be better throttle response so I'm happy about that. A have to admit I LOVE it when the trafic lights goes yellow, put my foot down all the way, will go from 7th @1,200rpm to 4th @ 4,000rpm in the blink of the eye and take off like a bullet

brad
16-12-2012, 12:01 PM
bump for this thread: is there an easy way to remove this hose clamp ?!

unfortunatly the pliers i have are too small to grab both ends and squeeze, any recommendations ?
multi grips or a small g-clamp

PoloDave
16-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Your performance gains will be mostly down low

There are no gains. At low revs the airflow is so low the stock filter does not restrict in any way. At high revs the turbo pressure is regulated regardless of sucktion pressure so there is absolutely no increase in air to the engine at any time.

nomadx38
16-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Turbo pressure is irrelevant in this situation it's about getting air into the engine so it can start to create boost. Having the old filter which is very restricting is bad for air flow and thus increses the lag on your turbo to spool (which goes hand in hand with throttle response)

It's the difference between trying to run an engine with your hand over the intake system or without. It will still run and rev but one has to rely on the vacuum of the intake stroke to suck the air in through the gaps instead of it been forced in by itself (and this is more in relation to naturally aspirated than forced induction)

brad
16-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Turbo pressure is irrelevant in this situation it's about getting air into the engine so it can start to create boost. Having the old filter which is very restricting is bad for air flow and thus increses the lag on your turbo to spool
How do you know the OEM filter is restricting? Have you done a differential pressure test? Or are you assuming that because it's OEM it should be changed?

nomadx38
16-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Well having both a k&n and obviously the stock I can instantly see the difference in thickness. The OEM has a 5mm white porous cotton cover that goes over the filter itself. You then have the filter paper filter that has gaps so small between the slots that the overall thickness would be more then 20mm. For a total of 25mm of air blocking material.

Yes I admit I'm no scientist but I would highly assume my k&n filter with a thickness of 5mm (which is oiled micro cotton) is letting in more air than a 25mm thick plain paper filter. And then you have the performance gains which I have but that could be subjective to some people.

Yes you could argue and say the extra air flow is coming from less filtration and is worse for your engine. Yeah do doubt it is, but if you are concerned about the life of your car, you wouldn't bother doing any form of performance upgrade would you including pushing the engine past 4k rpm for the life of the vehicle.

kam
16-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Having the old filter which is very restricting is bad for air flow and thus increses the lag on your turbo to spool (which goes hand in hand with throttle response)

i wouldnt go so far as to say the stock filter is 'very restricting'

vw know what their doing with the stock filter, a perfect compromise between performance and filtration

stock ftw

nomadx38
16-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh no please don't understand me, OEM is always the best of both worlds when it comes to good filtration and good performance. Sorry i may have been misleading a bit. The OEM is not very restricting for the purpose it is used for, but in comparisons to other filters such as the k&n has a lot less flow, but much much more filtration for longer engine life.

Personally I don't see myself keeping this car for more than 7 (MAX) years so really long engine life is not a priority. (And with all the DSG issues I am having, that will go before the engine). For me I wanted to get a performance gain, and this did offer a cheaper solution, that doesn't void warrantee (well not as easy to trace)

brad
16-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Cool. Enjoy that extra 2kw

nomadx38
16-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I'll try to thank you. Don't get me wrong changing a air filter will not give you 30 killerwasps. 1-3kw is expected max. But as I see it its 1-3kw I didn't have before, so for $40 its not to bad. A tune for $800~ will give you 30kw but at the cost of warientee, which I still need until all my "consumables" are fixed (DSG mechatronics, clutches etc XD)