PDA

View Full Version : Test Driven ....

2dr Evangalist
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Barloworld 5dock has their demonstrator. Its decalled up as a Dakar support truck, trendline with highline wheels, rollbar and steps.
It drives v v well. Front end is setup soft, back is firmer with just a hint of unladen kick. This is on std rear springs.
Clutch is light, but bites v close to the bottom of its travel. Gearchange is light but positive, and turning circle is pretty good.
Front seats are v comfy, only spent 35min in them so dont know how they will go on a long haul, but she was easy to place on a packed sat morn parramatta rd so that is a good start.

phaeton
06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Pictures ????

2dr Evangalist
07-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Sadly no..... :(

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
13-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I test drove an Amarok on the weekend too. Quite nice steering & handling. The ride was great for truck capable of taking 1 tonne. The cabin was a nice place to sit (like any other VW car really) and its quiet too. But the performance disappointed me, I'd rate it 4 out of 10.

Now I'll probably get canned by people stating it's a truck not a car, but compared to our current Citroen C4 Picasso (2.0 turbo diesel with 6 speed auto weighting approx 1,700kg) and a ML Triton I had for a few days last year (current shape but with the 3.2 turbo diesel & 5 speed manual), the Amarok is slow. I'm not racing the thing, just talking day to day driving.

Below 1,500rpm there is really no go. Driving up a slight incline at approx 90km/h the gear shift told me to go to 6th which I did. At that point if you want any type of acceleration you need 4th and even then it wasn't great. By comparison our Citroen would kick down to 4th and rocket away and the Triton would have no issues with this in 5th (Triton does appox 2,000rpm @ 100km/h in 5th, Citroen 1,800rpm @ 100km/h in 6th - same the Amarok).

In normal traffic as other cars are accelerating, you would have to row the Amarok along to keep it up. At the lights I though a 2nd gear start would help with the acceleration (cause 1st is quite short) but each time I tried it stalled. Now I know you would get the hang of it eventually but the Triton started in 2nd no dramas.

As the Amarok weighs about 1,900kg it needs a large motor (not 2.0 litres) or an auto upon which the torque convertor can mask the lack of torque low down and move it along between gear changes. I know you can rev the motor, bring the twin turbos on and it goes OK, but its a diesel not a petrol turbo.

Cheers

gavs
14-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Well dermot, you might need to hit me up, there is a nice few suspension goodies available now ;)

gmantrix
14-03-2011, 05:40 PM
had a test drive a week back, very impressed with styling, finish and size. This thing is larger than my crewman, and I was most surprised that the tub space is larger cos it looks decieving. Smooth driving through the gears, and gets up and goes reasonably well. I felt 1st gear is too short though. Overall a real good package.
Im not an off roader, though I get onto tracks etc where I ride my dirt bike, so this will suit my purpose. I also tow a boat (2.3t loaded) and this is where I have some reservation. I understand its twin turbo, the torque figures seem reasonable in comparison to opposition brands, though are we expecting too much out of a 2litre, bit dissappointing maybe it could have been larger capacity engine.
Am I being overly concerned...will it tow the 2.3t boat up the hills with ease?

gavs
15-03-2011, 07:04 AM
It needs underbody protection too.

Hmmm, yes, yes it does.... ;)

gavs
15-03-2011, 07:10 AM
had a test drive a week back, very impressed with styling, finish and size. This thing is larger than my crewman, and I was most surprised that the tub space is larger cos it looks decieving. Smooth driving through the gears, and gets up and goes reasonably well. I felt 1st gear is too short though. Overall a real good package.
Im not an off roader, though I get onto tracks etc where I ride my dirt bike, so this will suit my purpose. I also tow a boat (2.3t loaded) and this is where I have some reservation. I understand its twin turbo, the torque figures seem reasonable in comparison to opposition brands, though are we expecting too much out of a 2litre, bit dissappointing maybe it could have been larger capacity engine.
Am I being overly concerned...will it tow the 2.3t boat up the hills with ease?

Ok, I'm starting to get sick of hearing this over and over again. Cubic capacity counts for nothing, look at the turbo charged F1 engines in the 80's, over 1000bhp at 1.3 litres?! then look at a top fuel drag car, 400m, full engine rebuild, supercharged 13litres on nitro methanol and producing around 8000hp.

NO dual cab ute on the maket bar the new $65,000 Navara 550 will do this, but would you justify $65,000 for a datsun ute? People for get that 15 years ago, the hilux came with a naturally aspirated 2.4lt engine and people would be towing the same kind of weights in far less comfort and refinement. If it struggles up a hill in 6th, drop back to 4th and stay in the left lane, what's an extra 2 minutes going to really cost you, especially when you can get out of the car with no pain or aches after a 6 hour drive with a stop every 2 hours due to your legs going numb (thank you toyota for your crappy hilux SR5 and it's lack of comfort!)

flyingfridge
15-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I've out-dragged a few HiLuxes over the last few days :D (They generally get the jump on me in first but as soon as I'm in second it's all over)

gavs
15-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Sam is bang on correct. 25 degree incline, 800kgs in the tray, 80 kph, hilux SR5 manual screaming in 4th and going backwards in 5th, Amarok cruising up in 6th. The only advantage some of these competitors have is the auto gearbox which will generally put you in the right gear for the job.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
15-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok, I'm starting to get sick of hearing this over and over again. Cubic capacity counts for nothing, look at the turbo charged F1 engines in the 80's, over 1000bhp at 1.3 litres?! then look at a top fuel drag car, 400m, full engine rebuild, supercharged 13litres on nitro methanol and producing around 8000hp.

Agreed, on paper the Amarok should have the goods, but on the road its just not there.

A 2.0 diesel motor (turbo or not) has approx 160nm torque at idle or below 1,500rpm. A 3.2 diesel (again turbo or not) would have 220nm torque below 1,500rpm. It makes all the difference in driveability and this where the Amarok lacks. My brother inlaw notices this in his Triton - he had a 3.2 t/d and now drives a 2.5 t/d. When towing the 2.5 t/d isn't as good as the 3.2 and says the 3.2 was nicer to drive - the 2.5 is peaky. The Amarok would be no different.

Also the Amarok peak torque (400mn) is higher than most 4X4 utes, but the example I drove just felt flat.

Cheers

gmantrix
15-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Agreed, on paper the Amarok should have the goods, but on the road its just not there.

A 2.0 diesel motor (turbo or not) has approx 160nm torque at idle or below 1,500rpm. A 3.2 diesel (again turbo or not) would have 220nm torque below 1,500rpm. It makes all the difference in driveability and this where the Amarok lacks. My brother inlaw notices this in his Triton - he had a 3.2 t/d and now drives a 2.5 t/d. When towing the 2.5 t/d isn't as good as the 3.2 and says the 3.2 was nicer to drive - the 2.5 is peaky. The Amarok would be no different.

Also the Amarok peak torque (400mn) is higher than most 4X4 utes, but the example I drove just felt flat.

Cheers

my point Ocy, I have some reservation in towing my 2.3t boat with ease, not simply dropping gears, sitting on left lane (if lane choice is there) and watching every other %&# pass me up those hills. No issue with taking 2 mins longer, but being confident that this thing will tow with ease. btw, I did rate the Amarok well with all other aspects :)

maybe if the dealers are confident, they would allow me to test drive towing my boat??

fouros
16-03-2011, 02:32 PM
i found it MUCH nicer to drive than my D40 navara, turning circle is heaps better , seats are WAAAY more comfortable just feels like its in a different league

STIDUB
16-03-2011, 05:34 PM
just popped into bundamba VW after work, jumped into their demo model, didnt mind it to be honest, im not a ute person because i cant stand the feeling like im driving a tractor every day, compared to my cousins BT50 & previous bravo, hilux & triton its exceptionally comfortable, apparently it had the hardest springs optioned for it too, It feels HUGE, i told them ill be back with a trailer with my beetle on once its over 1000kms & has a towbar, ill be very curious if its substantially better than my tiguan, its acceptable to tow with but i wouldnt call it effortless, also curious what APR or similar can do for it...

ntboozer
16-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I also had the chance to test drive a Highline on Saturday (thanks Sam). If I was in a position to buy now I would have my name on an order form :-) .....but I must keep telling myself 'stick to the finacial plan man' :-(
I was very impressed with the drive and more importantly so was the other half. She tagged along and to be honest I was expecting a heap of grief (she's not into 4x4 utes) however most comments were positive. On the 'not so positive' side she agreed with me on the following:
1. 'ocky straps' to hold the read seat base up looks 'very cheap',
2. having two pull tabs to fold the rear seat back down is a pain. If you're by yourself you'll need to 'chock' one side then go to the opposite side and release. Every time I tried it on Saturday (without chocking) had the lock re-engaging,
3. trim material used on the arm rest area of the door card looks very cheap - looks like some form of stocking material. It had me looking at how I could remove the door card and re-trim,
4. no ipod input for the stereo (that we could see) and no steering wheel controls for stereo (Sam did your tech guys work out if the loom will support the fitment of a MF wheel from a transporter etc?)

Cheers
nt

ntboozer
16-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm also curious about the comments being made regarding load capacity / tow capacity in relation to engine cc.
Am I correct in saying 5th and 6th gear are 'over-drive' gears? If so, and I'm happy to be corrected, then when towing a 2t + load (in fact any load ???) or have a full tray of camping gear (or fencing gear etc) the 1:1 ratio (4th?? in the 'Rok') should be used if you want to avoid expensive gearbox re-builds. I've always been told by mechanic mates not to tow anything using overdrive. What I didn't do was heed the warnings as far as load carrying was concerned - market leading dual cab tray full of gear for extended trips, weekend trips, soil rocks etc + many k's travelled using 5th = paying mechanic many $ to re-build gearbox after destroying 5th.
If what I have said is correct then Gavs comments about 'dropping back to 4th' are words that should be noted. The 6 ratios are there to use as dictated by load and road conditions not just a means to get into 'top gear' on the open road and 'cruise' @ 100, 110 or 130km/h.
After my 'short' test drive on Saturday I can safely say the Rok drives a shed load better (and with a lot less fuss) in 4th @ highway speeds then any of the competitor dual cabs I've test driven (note all, including the VW, have been unladen).
Cheers
nt

flyingfridge
17-03-2011, 09:31 AM
This question was asked at the launch training, according to 'ze ghermans', the gearbox has been built very strong with towing in mind so you should be able to tow in overdrive gears. I'm yet to try it myself but I'll be towing a boat late in march so I'll report then.

Still haven't asked the techs about the Multi F Steering wheel, they do the technical training on it in the next couple of weeks so I'll ask them after they've completed that.

flyingfridge
17-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Figured that would be the case, not a surprise really. Ah well.

ntboozer
17-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Dermot thanks for the info.
no retro fit MFSW in current Rok due to different loom - damn. Maybe it will appear in the next series :-)

Sam
I'll take your word on the gearbox. Time will tell I guess. Most gearboxes will survive short term but many km's of overdrive towing / full tray loads will take their toll. It will be great if the VW engineers have designed an OE g'box that will survive maximum load/towing capacities in overdrive - I don't believe any other manufacture is willing to state that in their vehicle warranty.

All
How long has the Rok been on the road overseas?
Are there any other Amarok forums running that may give us Aussies an indication of how this vehicle is performing? I'm told that some O/S markets will treat this ute much harder than the Aussie market will. It would be good to review their comments.
Cheers
nt

flyingfridge
18-03-2011, 07:42 AM
It's been on sale in Argentina & Brazil for just over 12 months, I found a Portuguese language forum a while ago from there but I can't seem to find it now with a quick google, does any one else know it?

gavs
18-03-2011, 07:52 AM
The yarpies have a forum also, have of it s in afrikane though so it's just as difficult as trying to read portugese...

flyingfridge
18-03-2011, 08:36 AM
the google translator will at least translate the Portuguese pages...

phaeton
18-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Amarokers Forum Argentina (http://amarokers.com.ar/foro/) (in Spanish)
Amarok Club Forum (http://amarok-club.ru/forum/index.php) (in Russian)
Amarok Forum (http://www.amarokforum.de/forum/) (in German)

brodiesvenson
21-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Haven't posted here today, but have been reading for some time and thought it was time to post.
Test drove the Amarok today.
I AM in the market and wish to buy a dual cab manual ute right now. I have been looked at the dual cabs on the market today (with the exception of the BT-50, Ranger, Great Wall and Ssang Yong).
I have just sold a Ford Ranger. Great engine - most low down torque and power of any of the diesels I've driven on the market, but had some dealership issues.
The size has been mentioned as being the first thing to grab you when you jump in. I thought the same thing. It's huge - not F250 territory but it feels like it.
Better use of interior space.
I was wondering how VW fit a pallet between the wheel arches and now I know - they made the whole car wider.
The interior is a pleasant place to be but missing some simple touches that made it feel basic to me - more on that later.
It drives beautifully and is super quiet which is really surprising, but under load it is still a gravelly ute with diesel clatter. Cruising on the highway is quiet and a real highlight.
The car holds the road well, but is similarly sprung to other utes I've driven and you can still tell it is a ute has a high centre of gravity.
It is doughy and lacking low down torque, but this isn't unique for to the VW. The Triton seems to have the same characteristic. Just has the charactertic lag that some diesels seem to have. Although the one I drove only had done 45kms and maybe this would improve with age.
The chassis is rock solid and has more crossmembers and bracing than anything I've seen before I think. It has braces everywhere. I can see how it got a 5 star safety rating without the airbags of it's competitors.
However, people have been touting the Trendline as the match for the SR5 Hilux, and I don't believe it is. It is not similarly spec'd as I thought it would be.
It is missing:

Side Steps
Sports Bars
Chrome mirrors, door handles and steps
Leather wheel and gear knob
Ipod Input
Bluetooth
Curtain airbags
Ipod Input/aux input
Steering Wheel Controls

On other makes it is also missing:
Privacy Glass
Option for reversing camera

It's also frustrating to me, a potential buyer, that the towbar is such a high cost option as upgrades the radiator too. On any other vehicle this is a $500 option, but I had a quote of $1300. I see why it's expensive, but why not make the bigger radiator standard?
These may be simple, cosmetic things, but on upper spec utes this is what you get in the additional money.
Just disappointed these things are missing and they are so expensive to add.
These things make the cab a nicer place to be. Even a leather wheel would've been nice.
I can see the reason you would buy this is safety, size and the ability to fit a pallet between the wheel arches.
I don't buy fuel economy as a significant reason as the combined fuel economy for the Triton and the Hilux is only just a touch behind the VW.
More annoyed with this as up to and including the release, people have been touting the Trendline as the competitor for the SR5 and that'd be priced similar to the SR5. It's not the Trendline, but the Highline. Maybe that's the press' fault.
And yes, the Hilux has a higher sticker price than the Trendline, but any dealer in the land will do you a manual SR5 dual cab diesel for $51,000 drive away at the moment (I've quoted 5 dealers and this was the highest). Reversing camera and towbar and mats added $1000 for my quote on top of this.
I wanted the VW for the pallet in the tray ability. This was the big plus for me - and I'd waited since September for the launch so I could get one. But it's missing too many things I'd option on for me to buy it. Adding side steps, sports bars, leather wheel and bluetooth is too costly. And this still doesn't get me aux input or steering wheel controls.

flyingfridge
21-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Lol, whoever told you that the tow bar upgrades the radiator is an idiot, the tow bar is just a hitch and the wiring - you don't even need a transmission oil cooler and yes that price is about right for a genuine item. (but look on the bright side, it's not 1850 like you pay for a genuine T5 tow bar)

Look you're right about the steering wheel controls being missing is a disapointment, but after living with mine for nearly 3 weeks I don't even miss them. My girlfriend caught me reaching for the volume control knob on the dash in a Passat CC last week - I didn't even realise

I still believe the Trendline is a match for the SR5, as the Highline has more standard kit.

gavs
21-03-2011, 03:38 PM
The last SR5 bought here didn't have all of that standard, I believe they are probably doing that now (adding extra options) to try and clear stock due to the facelifted model due mid this year, hence why we compare the SR5 to the Trendline. I know which I prefer to drive with the manual gearbox and I sure as hell know which I would rather have an accident in.....

The best fuel economy achieved in the manual SR5? 10, 9.8 with sprint canopy fitted. Amarok is around the 7.8.

Peter Jones
21-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm really curious to see the tow hitch when it comes out.

That rear step on the Trendline I saw looks substantial enough just to bolt the tongue straight to it.

Will it be VW manufactured or locally produced?

Also dying to hear some towing reviews or find a dealer willing to let me take my tandem out for a drag.

Wiring specs would be handy too. (Is this going to be a can-bus/LED/blown globe warning saga?)

Euro connector?

7 pin round/flat?

If it came down to it I'd rather have a fully functional euro trailer plug on the car and re-wire my trailers to match.

Boothiness
21-03-2011, 04:43 PM
There will be a VW towbar released that sits further out on the Trendline (and all models with the rear bumper) but sits in under when paired with the base Amarok which doesn't feature the rear bumper.

Care would have to be taken with the tailgate on the base when released to the 180 degrees though because there would be nothing stopping it smashing into the towbar.

flyingfridge
21-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Yup, the tow bar is just a hitch that just bolts to the rear step. You can acutally feel the holes it bolts to underneath the foot part.

I had my tow bar fitted today, it comes with the euro connector and a 7 pin flat mounted behind it.

FLAUNTT
21-03-2011, 06:27 PM
I was lucky enough to win a Amarok for the weekend last weekend from the guys down at Bayford Volkswagen.

I was very impressed with the car, drives a hell of alot better than my 2008 Hilux SR. Power seems to be on a par with the Hilux (MINE IS THE 3.0LT DISESL) Just seems to come on a bit lower in the rev range.

The economy of the Amarok is up there with the example I had only having 550kms on the odometer (So the motor was well and truly tight still) it still managed to acheive 755kms with still 50kms showing left on the trip computer. I was'nt really nursing the car to get a good result on the economy so to hit this mark was a great suprise.

My Hilux only hits 550 - 580km mark with its 3.0ltr diesel running gear. Interior is well finished , a bit plain but the ergonomics are great and the front seats handled the 2.5hour drive from Geelong to Phillip Island with ease. A friend of mine who is well over 6 feet tall, was easily comfortable in the back seat.

It was a touch hard to give Sam ( Flying Fridge ) back the keys today:( But in saying that thanks to the Bayford team for allowing me a great test run in the Amarok!!

geoff7
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Drove one today and if it had an auto I would have swapped the Treg for it.
Very good vehicle to drive.
Staggered at the size of it.

Umai Naa!!
19-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm really curious to see the tow hitch when it comes out.

That rear step on the Trendline I saw looks substantial enough just to bolt the tongue straight to it.

Will it be VW manufactured or locally produced?

Also dying to hear some towing reviews or find a dealer willing to let me take my tandem out for a drag.

Wiring specs would be handy too. (Is this going to be a can-bus/LED/blown globe warning saga?)

Euro connector?

7 pin round/flat?

If it came down to it I'd rather have a fully functional euro trailer plug on the car and re-wire my trailers to match.

The wiring kit comes with both the 13-pin round, and the 7-pin flat adaptor harness.

The wiring is on CAN, and uses the same control module as pretty much every other VW on the market now.

The bars (both variations) are manufactured for Volkswagen Australia, in NZ by Best Bars, to meet our ADRs.

As Boothiness mentioned, there's two versions; one for those with the rear step, and one for those that don't have the rear step. The non-step trucks don't have the straps on the tailgate to stop it from hitting the towball, but these can be retro-fitted easily.

The whole she-bang takes about 45 minutes to fit, and the wiring is all plug-and-play. However, you'll still need to code the CANbus gateway to accept the trailer control module.

Peter Jones
21-04-2011, 08:06 AM
From the pictures I've seen the rear step/tow bar looks a long way off the ground.

Could someone measure the height of the towbar please?

I'd hoped for a hitch receiver style setup so I could use a height adjustable tongue.

Some pictures of how it all goes together would be great too.

Cheers,

Pete