PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket headunit from China

Joeyjoejoe
04-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey All,

Got my new VW Polo 77TSI a few weeks back, with just stock options as I didn't want to wait. So far I've got the windows tinted @ 35%.
I've ordered this touchscreen headunit from china to replace the crappy stock one:
China Car Audio site (http://www.cnbuynet.com/auto-multimedia-stereo-player-for-vw-pologps-dvdcanbus-p-1561.html)

Hopefully all goes well with the installation as its has these options:

DVD Video Player with Bluetooth+A2DP,Canbus Box, GPS Navigation (supports multiple map apps, its Windows CE!), Dual Zone Function, Digital Touchscreen, Radio, Audio Stereo player, Ipod, Reverse Camera.
◆ Original Factory Panel Design, Original Harness and Plug Compatibility
◆ Original Steering Wheel Compatibility
◆ Supports Original Small Monitor Display

So hopefully all goes well with the integration and I can get all the buttons on the steeringwheel working. Think I will have to get a professional to install the Rear camera and Gps antenna.

Anyone got any tips on getting the factory headunit out? I haven't been able to find a service manual for this car (don't think it exists)

http://www.cnbuynet.com/images/VW/CBNDVF0001/VW-gps-navigation-dvd-player.jpg

Heres what the headunit looks like on the front. I'm still waiting for it to arrive (it just passed customs so cant be far) I'll send updates to this thread once i get it all in and working *fingers crossed* hope it works :D
Have ordered a 32Gb Compact flash card for maps/music/vids. A Class 10 (20Mb/s Read) one for $49 AUD At PC Casegear (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_692&products_id=16521)
Only other thing i want to upgrade is my wheels from the stock 15" to 17"s but I think that can wait until I've worn these tires down a bit. Think I'll get them from that place I see often recommended in these forums: Tempe Tires (http://www.tempetyres.com.au/)

m3103
04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Mate I'm sorry to have to tell you this but my mate bought a similar head unit for his mk6 gOlf and it was absolute crap. Gps barely worked, the screen layout was confusing and didn't look oem at all. I'd recommend you get an oem product. You can get them off eBay for about a grand. Or less if your lucky. A lot of people have given good reviews on those ones.
I you'd like a link let me know and I'll link you.
But it says you've already bought it so I guess it's too late. But I hope That this one works for you mate.

GTI JOE
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
This headunit looks pretty cool. Does it come with the rear camera, gps antenna? and what maps will it have?..Australian I hope;)
Please keep us updated on the installation. I remember reading on another thread on the Polo forum about someone installing a bluetooth unit and removing the RCD510. It had photos of the installation, it seemed pretty straight forward as I recall.

Joeyjoejoe
04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
This headunit looks pretty cool. Does it come with the rear camera, gps antenna? and what maps will it have?..Australian I hope;)

I'm not sure on what maps its running stock, I got a 2Gb SD card coming with it with preloaded maps, im planning to try both IGo and Tomtom on it as its running Windows Ce 6 its not too hard to mod. Checkout the Aussie Gps forums for more info Windows Ce GPS software with Chinese Head units; Here, (http://www.austech.info/gps/30474-gps-apps-tutorials-windows-mobile-ce-pna-pda-iphone-5.html) unfortunatly you have to sign up for links in it, but still readable for research.
The rear camera costs $30 extra, the SD card $15 can also get Digital tv tuners for the unit. If you buy from that chinese website, better do it in USD, aussie dollars are disproportionate. Oh yeah, its coming with a GPS antenna.

GTI JOE
05-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks Joeyjoejoe,
Let us know how you go, how it performs and installation etc.
m3103 mentions a bad experience, however, this unit seems pretty new, maybe they have made it better?

Gambit
05-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah look forward to seeing how you go with the install

Joeyjoejoe
07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey all,
Just an update.. the headunit arrived today, looks great! Heres some pics from the unboxing:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/2cmqe76-1.jpg
It arrived very well packed in a brown box, then in a white box. With the accessories on the sides
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/301is6e-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/akj414-1.jpg
The bubbles on the screen is just the screen protector, ill remove it once its installed.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/15nq43d-1.jpg
Heres the rearview of the head unit, 2 Usb cables coming from it.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/ms1x92-1.jpg
Heres all the accessories, a remote control, a microphone, an Ipod cable, some a/v cables and connectors, GPS antenna, and the Manual. The SD card was already in the Headunit slot for it.

The SD card that came with it was a 4Gb class 4 SD card, instead of the 2Gb sized one expected from them ($15 extra, was a checkbox option when buying it, I just wanted what it was preloaded with)
I've checked out the contents of the SD card and it's preloaded with IGo8 and Australia and New Zealand Maps which is awesome, this was my primary choice for Gps apps on this OS, runs the most smooth, so I've read anyway. I can easily just transfer the contents of the SD card, to my new 32Gb SD class 10 Sd card that also arrived today, and use the 4gb one in my camera or something. I am also planning to try out some other gps apps and see what works.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/6nyw3k-1.jpg
The rear camera installs in the fitting where one of your lights is for the number plate, and so it has a light in it also (i think LED possibly, not sure yet)

I'll give you another update once its installed/being installed.
cheers :D
JJJ

ozgti
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I bought one similar and I sent it back. It didn't work with the MFD and was really notchy to use.The graphics were pants too. I tried to live with it for about a week, but my girlfriend and I got the ump and returned it!

Don't throw you boxes/packaging away!

jaedencook
07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I'd be interested to see a video of it in action though... being Windows CE based there would be endless possibilities to performance tuning and GUI enhancements you could have a crack at if you had the patience..

In theory that is...

Joeyjoejoe
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I'd be interested to see a video of it in action though... being Windows CE based there would be endless possibilities to performance tuning and GUI enhancements you could have a crack at if you had the patience..

In theory that is...

Agreed! So many possibilities with Win CE, and I have tinkered with a few similar devices with the OS, including mobile barcode scanners and such, so I have a little background knowledge tinkering, and know a few people with more exp.
I've booked the install for tomorrow with Frankies Auto Electrics (http://www.frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/) the quote was roughly for $180, but may be more depending on how fiddly it turns out to be. I'll be sure to make some vids and better quality pictures once its installed and post it here to demo its performance.
Below is the Hardware specs of the unit, which I think is more than enough grunt to drive mainly for me some sort of GPS app and music.
Also as it has a video out cable (for headrest 2ndary monitors x2), might get one of them wired so i can access it.. and then park somewhere and hookup my Pico projector.. I could have drive in movies anywhere with a blank wall.
Here's the Hardware
◆SiRF Prima 600Mhz CPU,Powerful ARM 11 architecture,300Mhz DSP,faster speed,higher performance
◆Support 3D Hardware Acceleration:HD 3D graphics for real 3D map
◆High-Speed USB2.0:480Mbps
◆2USB Port,Charge to mobile phone
◆DDR RAM:128MB DDR-400MHz(two times than it's competitor)

So yeah, fingers crossed it all goes well tomorrow. Ill give you another update tomorrow night.
Cheers,
JJJ

GTI JOE
10-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks Joeyjoejoe, looking very much forward to the report. Hope all goes well man:)

Joeyjoejoe
12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Bad new guys... they installed all the wiring and such, but then discovered the head unit was dead on arrival, they could not get it to power up at all. unit came with 1 yr warrenty, so im going to send it back to china shortly to have it replaced. Still got charged $212 for the time. But the GPS ant, Mic and Wiring for the reverse cam are all in, so it will be cheap to have the unit put in once its replaced.

GTI JOE
12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear that dude:( Hope all goes well with the exchange, keep us posted!

Joeyjoejoe
21-05-2011, 02:54 PM
All right, the exchange is all sorted out, finally arrived back from China. I've booked the Install for Monday 23/5. In the meantime.. I've also bought a Boss BASS1500 10" low profile Car Amplified Subwoofer off Ebay for $230 Aud: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/05/1JPG-1.jpg
I've already checked and it wont fit under the seats, but I plan to have it installed in the very lowest section of the boot and the lid should fit over the top without issues, I'm going to cut a hole in the boot lid and put some sort of grill to allow sound through it but not dropping stuff onto the bass cone. (like when there is shopping in the boot ect) So I'm going to get the Sub/Amp installed on Monday at the same time. Wish me luck! I'll post pics / vids when it is finally done and this multi-month long saga concludes.

noone
21-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Good luck mate, a no-name head unit, boss powered low form sub, don't expect too much improvement.

Frostee
21-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Good luck mate, a no-name head unit, boss powered low form sub, don't expect too much improvement.

Dim Sum tastes good, but shortly after you get hungry again and realise you should have paid for a better feed.

You get what you pay for, however I really hope this is an exception for the Joey

broxigar1983
21-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Factory head units are from Blaupunkt, and Blaupunkt know what they do. My sound system is rocking, no need to replace the head unit IMO

Joeyjoejoe
22-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Its pretty easy to improve on ****house, the stock head unit that came with my Polo is crap, sound isnt so much the issue as it is functionality, at the moment, it plays CD's, and Mp3's via the Audio imput jack. The new unit has a reverse cam, will be playing mp3s via Sd card, supports Multiple Gps applications, supports Bluetooth phonecalls, Is highly moddable and customizable being WinCe6.
and can play movies/dvd's If I feel the need, (and will be able to output movies via my Pico Projector by re-purposing one of the outputs for secondary screens designed to output to headrest LCD panels)
Wow so many haters on these forums, pfft fine you go spend $2k on the stock one + Bluetooth kit + install costs to find you have far less functionality than my head unit will (hence why i took this path, I saw what the RNS could do and thought wow people really pay that much for this POS? When you can buy a kickass laptop for sub $500 these days why would I plonk $1000 on a unit with less power than my mobile phone). The VW RNS stock unit has a 400mhz processor as opposed to the 600 Mhz processor my unit has, but the VW one is twice the price. Paying $1000 for anything with only 400Mhz of grunt is foolish IMO, maybe back in the 90's this would have been acceptable, but not with the current price level of equivalent tech. Besides I'm a modder at heart, and love to be able to tinker with WinCe6 os, this i could not do with the stock one either.
The sub is to improve bass, thats it, i don't need a 20" sub to boost the bass to a sufficient level that I want, 10" shall be fine for my needs. I want better bass response than the 4 built in speakers (that i don't plan on changing), not louder bass response, so any cheap sub is going to provide that, its not ever going to be cranked to 120Db where it would presumably distort, I'm not installing it for competitive sub comps, just to give me a richer low end when playing tunes at a non-ear bleeding level.
Amazed at how many negative comments are on this thread.

Frostee
22-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Glad it's worked out for you. My negativity of cheap Chinese gear is from personal expeience. Pleased to hear you've found some kit that performs. I hope it lasts for you.

sVWatt
22-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Keen to hear results of the sub unit - looks good

the RNS doesnt really rock in any particular field - it's just that its a VW unit - easy replacement and integrates GPS and touch etc,

this sub might just add some Q bling to the car

RoknRob
22-05-2011, 01:17 PM
You go, joeyjoejoe. Somebody needs to keep the bastards honest. Wish I had known about this possibility beforehand.

For the price, it is deplorable that my RCD510 doesn't have Bluetooth included, and won't play my music from the iTunes store without being converted first. And it's slow....

You are taking a risk, but thanks to you, if others follow your path, it will be a lot less risky for them. On behalf of them, thank you.

Presumably there were no issues exchanging the original faulty unit?

noone
22-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Sorry for the negativity. My comment is at sound quality, as that is what the head unit in cars used to do.

I'm coming from a audio enthusiast angle, dropped a stereo into a car most of 10 years ago that cost more than the car.

I get the extra functionality, guess I would be concerned about the audio quality. I am not a fan of Boss products. IMO its better to spend rhe same on a second hand reputable product, but it may work well. Try it in a few different places, placement will likely affect the tonal performance in a big way.

Like I said, good luck, hope it works well for you.

RoknRob
22-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Sorry for the negativity. My comment is at sound quality, as that is what the head unit in cars used to do.

I'm coming from a audio enthusiast angle, dropped a stereo into a car most of 10 years ago that cost more than the car.

I get the extra functionality, guess I would be concerned about the audio quality. I am not a fan of Boss products. IMO its better to spend rhe same on a second hand reputable product, but it may work well. Try it in a few different places, placement will likely affect the tonal performance in a big way.

Like I said, good luck, hope it works well for you.

I used to care about the sound quality in the car, too. But none of my small cars have ever been quiet enough to really allow me to appreciate the sound quality from the stereo. Unless I was sitting in the garage with the engine off... But then I would rather step into the next room and appreciate my symphonies through my equipment there.

Besides, when you're listening to compressed music, you're already making a compromise, aren't you?

I do think a subwoofer would help flesh out the spectrum, however.

Joeyjoejoe
23-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Bad news, once again the install failed, the unit wouldn't even power up! :facepalm: Going to send it back to china for a refund. :( So I caved in and bought a Pioneer AVH-P3250BT (http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Pioneer-AVHP3250BT-2-Din-58inch-Touch-Screen-AV-Unit-Bluetooth/AVHP3250BT.asp) I get it installed next week. Ahh well lesson learned, one of the guys at Frankies mentioned that they had a VW GTi owner in the other day with the same unit, and had the same problems. Sadly there seems to be no quality assurance in china, lets hope things improve a bit with this Pioneer unit.

mr_bzr
23-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm interested in that pioneer unit also. Keep us posted please, especially in regards to steering wheel integration. I know the phone button probably won't work but what about volume and previous/next track.

noone
23-05-2011, 06:25 PM
ooo, swanky.

Looking forward to seeing where you get to with the new system. Could be a blessing in disguise, unfortunately you didn't even get to see it light up let alone audition it.

RoknRob
23-05-2011, 06:26 PM
That's too bad. Was worth a try anyway. Now others will know.

Tell me, did your installers bother to test the unit before ripping your car open?

Joeyjoejoe
23-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm interested in that pioneer unit also. Keep us posted please, especially in regards to steering wheel integration. I know the phone button probably won't work but what about volume and previous/next track.

Yeah, I'm getting it with a canbus adaptor, and the pioneer steering control adapter (I think its a combined thing with the canbus adapter) so yeah the Volume, and previous/next track will work, but the phone buttons wont unfortunately. I'd assume with my iphone and via mp3's on the SD card/usb drive. I settled on this one because, I figure Ill have my phone for gps (its not everyday i needed it anyway), ill live without a reverse cam, I can re-use the 32Gb SD card i bought for the other head unit for a mass collection of music. I'll let you know how it went next Monday, and take some vids/pics of it in action.

Joeyjoejoe
23-05-2011, 06:40 PM
That's too bad. Was worth a try anyway. Now others will know.

Tell me, did your installers bother to test the unit before ripping your car open?

Yeah, they rang me as soon as they realized they could not get it to even boot up, (after wiring everything up) the fan would not spin, screen would not light up, the tech showed me the wiring and explained it all, all seemed wired fine, he had no idea why it would not start up, he'd had 4 other techs look at it too. Still Frankies auto electrics were pretty cool about it this time, and as i bought a head unit from them today, they charged very little for the previous failed install (they had spent a fair few hours at it) Great customer service there and skilled workers, but sadly nothing was bringing that unit to life.

mr_bzr
23-05-2011, 07:31 PM
im not very knowledgeable about car electronics. what is a can-bus adaptor? its something to buy separate from the headunit? are there specific adaptors for different models of cars?

polojared
24-05-2011, 12:19 PM
If you are replacing the headunit with another model RCD then you shouldn't require any adpators.

The connects2 canbus module allows you to use your stereo wheel controls, however only works with selected brands and models.

However, I changed my to an Ecplise CD5030. I tapped into the 12v cigerate light for the ACC, and tapped into the canbus for constant.
The speakers are also in the canbus, so just used my DMM to find each speaker and wired up as required.

Stereo works a treat, havent an problems.

Have also installed an amp, and replaced the factory front speakers with Alpine Type R.
These are good bang for speakers that are happily taking 140rwms each a daily.
Rated @ 110wrms fyi.

I did look at these chinese headunits, but figured they were ****.

Thanks for your feedback.