PDA

View Full Version : Superb Panoramic Roof

bru20vt
27-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi - longtime lurker who is now considering a Superb wagon. Have come a cross one which has a panoramic roof. This looked good in the showroom but would like to hear from owners or anyone that has experienced this type of set up.

Made an offer which in hindsight was not accepted - my fear is that

1. From memory, the blind has small holes in it that will allow light which could produce unwanted glare
2. Its going to get very hot in summer.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Jake02
27-02-2011, 05:29 PM
The panoramic roof is something that was put on hold as far as production is concerned (I'm not sure why either but I'm sure that someone could share some light on it?) and Skoda Aus advised against ordering them or warned that it would take way longer than originally thought (in fact, the one you're looking at might be one of the first in Aus). As far as I know, the cover is as you suggested; it's one with little holes in it so yes it would let light through, but one Roomster owner on here actually tinted the glass-piece itself and apparently that's a lot better. To be honest I'd love the roof if I bought a Superb Combi and I'd tint it or make the blind actually light-proof. The night-views on trips to the country every half-year would be well worth it for me! :)

spaz74
27-02-2011, 07:02 PM
When I get mine next week I'll let you know. However I did sit in one on a very sunny day outside and the glare was non existent. I too will tint mime if it becomes an issue but I doubt it will unless I want to drive with the blind open all the time.

theduckster
27-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I heard that the suppliers of the Panoramic roof can't keep up the demand that Skoda are placing on them but that was a month ago. I'm with Jake02 on this one in that I would get the glass tinted, if I was to get one. I would think that the tinting would be a cheaper option as opposed to getting a blind that can block out more light. With the right tint you probably wouldn't have to use the blind as much.

If you want one with a Panoramic roof it might be best to snap up the one on the show room floor otherwise it might be a long wait to get one of the production line. I would ask your dealer about the wait. Maybe the supply issue has been been resolved and the wait isn't as long anymore.

K1W1
27-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I heard that the suppliers of the Panoramic roof can't keep up the demand that Skoda are placing on them

Isn't it funny how it's always the suppliers fault. It's never ever hey we've got an issue we need to sort out. :)
If it's simply a case of supply why is Skoda Australia trying to dissuade people from ordering them when cars ordered now won't be produced for several months anyway?

SkodaK
27-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I took delivery of my Superb wagon with panoramic roof just last week and since we've had a traditional "four seasons in a day" type of weekend here in Melbourne it's been a good opportunity to see how it works in practice. When the sun is out and the roof is open, you can feel the heat of course, but closing the glass does make a big difference. The blind is similar to the roller blinds you can buy for your house with about 5% "openness"- it lets some light through but isn't glary at all. On a real hot day I imagine some heat will get through but nothing that the climate control couldn't handle. On my travels today, twice I left the car in the sun with the blind open, and returned to find it closed, later in the day when it was cooler, it didn't close while I was away, so I'm assuming that this is another one of those clever Skoda features. I'd say that if you have the opportunity to pick up a wagon from local stock with the big sunroof, grab it, it's a long wait for anything ex-factory. Of course if next summer is overwhelming, you can always tint, or there's always 20mm polystyrene sheeting. Seriously though, it adds an airiness to the interior that seems to emphasise the space available, particularly for rear passengers. When I was doing my research prior to purchasing, I took a passing look at a Commodore Sportswagon, it was like sitting in a big deep black tub, almost claustrophobic with the high waistline, dark trim colours and small window areas - the Superb wagon is a much nicer place to be, particularly with the sunroof.

Julian Edgar
28-02-2011, 05:33 AM
We have two Roomsters, one with and one without the panoramic roof. The panoramic roof ones gets MUCH hotter in summer. I intend getting it tinted with the darkest tint I can find. The blind is pretty useless at keeping the heat out.

K1W1
28-02-2011, 05:45 AM
The blind is pretty useless at keeping the heat out.

That's because the heat is already in by the time it hits the blind. Blinds of any sort don't stop heat getting inside cars all they mainly do is keep UV light out and act to stop the inside surfaces of the vehicle heating up as much because they stop direct sunlight hitting them.

Corey_R
28-02-2011, 07:29 AM
We have two Roomsters, one with and one without the panoramic roof. The panoramic roof ones gets MUCH hotter in summer. I intend getting it tinted with the darkest tint I can find. The blind is pretty useless at keeping the heat out.

The darkest tint you can find is pure black. It doesn't let ANY light through :P
You may want to raise the "darkest" to something like a 4% of 10%, otherwise you may be better just replacing the glass with panels :)

woofy
28-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't know why they let so much heat in, I put a Hollandia in our 323 and it let bugger all heat in. The smaller sunroof isn't that bad, and if you are worried about heat, you can just close the shade, unlike the panoramic its a solid thing that keeps the heat mostly out as well. I really only shut mine on a very hot day and even then I have it tilted as the inner shade allows air to be sucked out.

K1W1
28-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I assume that the panorama roof doesn't tilt otherwise that would be the simple answer. Leave it tilted and let convection do it's thing.

Jake02
28-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I assume that the panorama roof doesn't tilt otherwise that would be the simple answer. Leave it tilted and let convection do it's thing.

I thought the front part of the glass tilts like it does on the Yeti?

K1W1
28-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Yes it apparently does. I forgot that it was actually two piece.

woofy
28-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I would be very interested in the sedan sunroof in the wagon. Not sure why they don't offer it, I have seen plenty of passat wagons with them.

spaz74
01-03-2011, 05:35 AM
I have read of someone with a solar panel having their car "destroyed" because after they left their car someone up wind decided to start a fire. Because the system cant detect smoke the interior of their car had a smoke smell for ages afterwards. This little story was enough for me not to want one.

Julian Edgar
01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
The darkest tint you can find is pure black. It doesn't let ANY light through
You may want to raise the "darkest" to something like a 4% of 10%, otherwise you may be better just replacing the glass with panels

yeah, yeah. You know what I mean!

Phrak
21-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I have read of someone with a solar panel having their car "destroyed" because after they left their car someone up wind decided to start a fire. Because the system cant detect smoke the interior of their car had a smoke smell for ages afterwards. This little story was enough for me not to want one.

That doesn't make any sense - I thought that the solar panels powered a fan which sucked hot air out of the car, not in.
Is that not how it works?

Corey_R
21-03-2011, 04:25 PM
A simple fan is not going to "create a vacuum", which is what happens if air is being "sucked out" but not replaced. Therefore, even if the fan does "suck out", there will be air coming in from elsewhere to replace that air going out.

spaz74
22-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Made the wife drive home last night whilst I sat in the back with the big sunroof. If only the rear seats reclined I would have been in 7th heaven. The roof is brilliant at night :)

wfdTamar
27-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Ha ha. What a right 'nana you must have looked. :-)

spaz74
27-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Nothing wrong with the nana look :)
I sometimes have a driver take me to the airport with me in the back. There is a lot more room in the suberb but the roof height was not as comfortable since I am tall but I can see how it coud be used as a chauffeur car as in the UK.