PDA

View Full Version : Polo 6R TDI DSG slow gear change

m8rics
15-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi All. It's my first diesel car with DSG. I'm not sure if it's a problem or just don't know how to drive it properly.

Basically the car sometimes won't change to a higher gear after engine is started. It will stuck in the 1st gear no matter how I apply throttle, up to over 3000rpm. Even if it changes to 2nd gear, it could stuck at over 30km/h. The problem normally goes away after a stop and start.

I always put it in "D" mode hoping it can quickly change up gear.

Is it something to do with diesel, turbo, DPF, or just DSG itself? Thanks

Idle
15-02-2011, 10:17 AM
It's a fault in the control circuitry somewhere.

Take it back to the dealer and hope the problem doesn't go away as soon as you get there...

m8rics
15-02-2011, 11:15 AM
It's a fault in the control circuitry somewhere.

Take it back to the dealer and hope the problem doesn't go away as soon as you get there...

Thanks. May I ask which dealer has better service department in Sydney?

HiTorque
15-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks. May I ask which dealer has better service department in Sydney?

It's sort of a lottery in many cases, I can recommend Barloworld Mascot, although some like Five Docks and CCC.

William_Foster
15-02-2011, 06:50 PM
m8rics; let us know how you go.

[As an aside, if you have any feedback on the diesel and dsg combination in the Polo it would be great to hear; feedback has been quite limited on the forum so far.]

m8rics
16-02-2011, 09:20 AM
It's my first month driving a diesel, turbo or DSG. So I'm still comparing it to a automatic petrol.

I like the acceleration without pushing too hard. The power comes at a cerain point, probably just above 1000rpm. I'm not sure whether it's the turbo or just the charactistic of diesel.

DSG is smooth and accurate in most times, keeping the engine at best. It seems the DSG is a bit conservative in gear selection. When brakes, it drops gear and speed quickly. Sometimes I don't even need to brake to turn. It feels more like a manual than an automatic in that case. It's more so when going downhill. If I brakes to maintain speed, it will drop from 7th to 4th or even 3rd, in the meantime the car is still running at over 60km/h. From what I read it's trying to use engine brake.

Since most of trips are short (< 5km) and hilly, fuel consumption is over 7l. Otherwise it can reach the 5l range in urban driving. I haven't got a chance to run on the freeway yet. I realized it's a problem for the DPF. It happened once but cured itself without much high speed driving.

Overral it's a great car. I hope the DSG can eventually learn my driving style. It'll be difficult since I bought the car for my wife and she is very heavy on the pedal :(. So maybe I should start play with the manual mode.

Idle
16-02-2011, 09:57 AM
DSG is smooth and accurate in most times, keeping the engine at best. It seems the DSG is a bit conservative in gear selection. When brakes, it drops gear and speed quickly. Sometimes I don't even need to brake to turn. It feels more like a manual than an automatic in that case. It's more so when going downhill. If I brakes to maintain speed, it will drop from 7th to 4th or even 3rd, in the meantime the car is still running at over 60km/h. From what I read it's trying to use engine brake.

That's because in essence it is a manual.

Just quicker and (mostly) more precise than you or I will ever be...

William_Foster
16-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info m8rics; good to hear some real world feedback on my future car.

I hope you get the issues sorted quickly!